By Narbia
I'm guessing the game will go ahead, but whether crowds will be allowed is another matter.
Ed played Cardiff on Sunday(without supporters), and won without too much difficulty.
They're currently top of the URC.

As we haven't played any game for 3 weeks, the whole squad is needing game time. I'd forgotten we'd actually beaten Edinburgh at the MadStad in 2017, but we've had some real poor displays against them in the surrounding games.

Overview
By Stevie J
The game is at home Narbia, and tickets are on sale from the club. Scotland is restricting crowds but given the case rate of COVID is similar to England, expect that to go in time for the SPFL return from its winter break and the Six Nations.

Edinburgh are having a cracking season as you've pointed out, they've taken the forward orientated Cockers game plan and actually been able to score tries. Importantly their defence seems much improved.

Given our likely rustiness after multiple weeks off I wouldn't be surprised if we lost this at all. Might be more useful between now and next week to rotate the squad to ensure game time for Exeter.
By Narbia
@Stevie J : you're absolutely correct in saying that there's restrictions on a national governing basis. Both Sunday's games in Scotland had no support.

However, and just IMHO, there may as yet be some undetermined restriction placed by HMG in another flip-flop.

Again,I hope I'm wrong in that, but I'll wait 'til Friday before buying.

Edit: Looks like Scotland is opening up (exactly as mentioned above). :clap:
This move – which ends the limit of 500 people at outdoor events that has been in place since Boxing Day – will mean that football fans can return to stadiums when the Scottish Premiership’s winter break ends next week, and that Scotland’s Six Nations rugby matches do not have to be played behind closed doors at Murrayfield.
By GHA
The cancelled games from Round 2 won't be played, instead everyone gets two points. Points awarded for any other games that were cancelled due to Covid etc will stand, so our game against Brive is recorded as a 0-0 with both teams getting 2 points, whilst the cheats game against Pau stays as a 28-0 win to Pau.

Tough on us as we didn't have a chance to win and register 3 / 4 / 5 points against Brive, but obviously that works both ways. Makes the Saturday game even bigger now.

Irish - Played 2 - Won 1 - 7 points
Pau - Played 2 - Won 1 - 5 points
Edinburgh - Played 1 - Won 1 - 4 points
Brice - Played 1 - 2 points
Saracens - Played 2 - 1 point
By M_W
Really tough on us. Home game against a French team in the challenge cup is pretty close to being a banker. Can't see us not having got 4 or 5 points in that game.
By GC89
Like that side, excited to see Cinti get another shot at 15. Interesting that Tuisue picked at 8 ahead of Cracknell given rumours of next season. Nice to see Coleman back on the bench. Hopefully he isn't returning to fitness just as Mafi appears to be out and Mafi is only out as a precaution.
By Narbia
I think Albert is preferred at 8 because LI are looking ahead to the Exeter game, and he was storming against them last time.

Also if he's moving to pastures new, then surely we should get the most out of him this season.

Anyway, it's close to a full strength side, or even is full strength.

No idea how this game will pan out, but Edinburgh can do a fair bit of running rugby too. Could well be a great game. :caffine: Can't wait!
By GHA
17-7 down at HT, we still don't help ourselves sometimes with basic knock ons or kicking straight out when taken back handing the opposition easy field position :brickwall:
By SixNineOne
Does anyone know what Gus Creevy’s red card was for? I was sitting in the South stand so I couldn’t see the incident (?) live and the replays on the big screen didn’t seem to show anything to me or any of those sitting around me. Having a team of officials from another union makes you realise just how good our referees are in the premiership!
By GHA
Where do I start @SixNineOne

Lino said Creevy had slapped someone so should be yellow carded.

Ref brought Rogerson and Creevy together and said you hit someone, yellow card.

Creevy protested his innocence and said check the TMO. Rogerson argued the TMO didn't see the head-on-head that saw him bandaged up so Creevy shouldn't be punished either (bit facetious if you ask me).

The ref hesitated then asked the TMO to have another look.

A new angle appeared to show Creevy striking Ritchie with his head.

Because Creevy protested that he hadn't slapped anyone so shouldn't be binned, it was upgraded to a red. Unbelievably classic London Irish.
By Narbia
I couldn't figure out what Creevy had been binned for. Nor could I figure out what Rogerson got that almighty head wrap for.

I don't think we got too much rub of the green on that game, but then again Ed. can feel a bit miffed because I thought they played the game in the way that they wanted to.

Maybe we nicked it from Embra - but winning by one point in the last seconds, is still winning. And that's what counts.

Great entertainment though! :clap:
By GHA
They had four or five guys in front of the kicker at the final restart, leading to the knock on and the scrum on our 22. Glad they didn't affect things in the end!
By Florida
GHA wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:58 pm

Rogerson argued the TMO didn't see the head-on-head that saw him bandaged up so Creevy shouldn't be punished either (bit facetious if you ask me).
That's not quite right, rogerson asked if they checked the video and the ref responded we tried to check but it's not clear, to which rogerson responds when I had my head on head you said no clear footage no sanction.
By GHA
Florida wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:01 am
GHA wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:58 pm

Rogerson argued the TMO didn't see the head-on-head that saw him bandaged up so Creevy shouldn't be punished either (bit facetious if you ask me).
That's not quite right, rogerson asked if they checked the video and the ref responded we tried to check but it's not clear, to which rogerson responds when I had my head on head you said no clear footage no sanction.
Yeah - difference was a lino didn't come on and say he saw head on head contact with Rogerson. The lino said he saw Creevy strike with his hand which is why he was originally going to be binned.
By Iron Lung
Can someone help me out with the laws please? In the first half when we were camped on their try line for 20 minutes it looked like we were held up a couple of times but a scrum was given to us when, if I'm correct, they should have had a drop out from behind their line. On the third occasion the drop out was given and I am very confused.
By M_W
Iron Lung wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:48 am
Can someone help me out with the laws please? In the first half when we were camped on their try line for 20 minutes it looked like we were held up a couple of times but a scrum was given to us when, if I'm correct, they should have had a drop out from behind their line. On the third occasion the drop out was given and I am very confused.
The one given as a scrum was because the ball was actually short of the line when play stopped. Held up over the line is a drop out.
Iron Lung liked this
By Stevie J
I think another (!) was we were stripped over the line and we tackled the Edinburgh player in goal, hence the scrum to us.

Some other thoughts on that game:
  • We were at times pretty rusty but it was good to see us take one one of the in-form URC teams and for a lot of the game outplay them. We scored three tries, had one chopped off, another three held up or very close.
  • I thought our centres were outstanding. BJVR and Rona are finding a partnership and I think we are seeing BJVR's skillset such as in his very sweet pass during the move for Rowe's try.
M_W, Iron Lung, MattM liked this
By GHA
Florida wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:35 pm
Creevy's hearing is tomorrow
The one angle they showed during the game doesn't look good, so unless there's more footage from other angles he might be in trouble
By Florida
The angle shown during the game was fairly clear, not much for e but head to head. I've since seen an angle that makes it look like the Edinburgh player pulls creevy into him.

Regardless I'm expecting a mid range offence with 50% off for good behaviour so 3 weeks. An extra week or two may be added if creevy claims he's innocent.

Dolly

I doubt any backs will be looking to leave Quins[…]

Saracens (A) Challenge Cup

Well for those among you who are still doing permu[…]

Team S'Up vs Th'Ospreys

Only Dewi Lake and Adam Beard make the match day 2[…]