Well if it wasn't SKY it would likely be the CVC monopoly behind someone else.

Not surprised at this news, but disappointed for the teenagers of today. It was the 5N that got me interested in rugby, and hence to watching 2-300 live games ever since. I think this will lead to the decline of rugby for the masses - which is an enormous shame. :tears:

I've as much likelihood of buying a pay-TV subscription as I have at playing fly half for the all Blacks. :bored:
Category B events can be shown on pay television, provided sufficient secondary coverage (highlights, delayed broadcast, etc.) is made to free-to-air broadcasters. As of 2000, the events covered by this category are:

Rugby union:
World Cup (excluding the final)
Six Nations Championship matches involving the Home Nations

The World Cup final is Category A.

In July 2019, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Jeremy Wright announced a consultation on adding the FIFA Women's World Cup and Paralympic Games to Category A. The 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup was televised in its entirety by the BBC, with total viewership of 28.1 million across the entire tournament. In September 2019, Wright's successor Nicky Morgan stated that she had begun to seek input with rightsholders on adding more women's sporting events to category A, in order to place them on "equal footing" with their men's counterparts.

The summer and winter Paralympics were added to Category A in January 2020; The Times reported a final decision on the FIFA Women's World Cup and UEFA European Women's Championship is to come in the future, but both events are likely to see inclusion. The government declined to add the Ashes, the UEFA Champions League Final, and the Open Championship to the list.[14]

I'm struggling to find full and total viewing figures for the tournament, but I have seen numbers of around 6 to 7 million per game, on average. 18 million per weekend, five weekends, so a total audience of 90 million.

Equal footing?

:raving:
Florida wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:28 pm
What i don't understand is why they won't allow joint bids this time. Surely if you're getting the highest bidder and it's free to air you're in a better place than hiding it behind a paywall, even if the highest bidder is in fact two broadcasters.
Sounds like they have already made up their mind who they want to win.
Never ending word association thread

Bam https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=t[…]

Nic Dolly rumoured to be leaving Tigers Had a r[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]

Ask the Club

Was sent my tickets electronically today to go[…]