Premiership Rugby hopes to resume the 2019-20 season on Saturday, 15 August.

There have been no matches played since 8 March because of the coronavirus pandemic, but clubs have been cleared to start non-contact training. Exeter are five points clear of Sale at the top of the table, with Bristol and Northampton Saints third and fourth.

"It is important for us to give players, coaches and clubs clarity on when they can look to return," said Premiership chief Darren Childs. "Nothing will happen until it is safe to do so but we will do everything we can to resume the 2019-20 Gallagher Premiership Rugby campaign on Saturday, 15 August."

No decision has yet been taken on whether games will be played behind closed doors, but the Premiership say the structure and format for the rest of the campaign "will follow in due course". There are nine games still to play for each team in the regular season, but there is no relegation issue with Saracens already set to play in the Championship next season as punishment for salary cap breaches.

All levels of the game below the top flight have seen their seasons cancelled, with Newcastle Falcons, who were leading the Championship, confirmed as being promoted to the Premiership for 2020-21. Non-contact training must be done in small groups, with each person at least two metres apart.

Premier League football clubs have since moved into stage two, which allows contact training in larger groups. It is not known when Premiership clubs will be able to move to stage two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52933093
Surely they've got to forget about those 9 games that are yet to be played and move to some sort of play off. I'd be supportive of a quarter, semi and final (possibly only because we are in 8th).

The thought of playing the remained of this season still seems daft to me, the squads are now completely different to when the season was put on hold
By my reckoning, given all the talk on global calendar, it seems to be that January or March would be 'next season', ostensibly going from a winter sport to a summer sport.

If that is the case then there is plenty of time to play all remaining games in August, September and October incl playoffs and Final, have a break and preseason (in the COLD, much like League) before starting up again. You might be against that, but thats the way the wind is blowing it seems. And would help finish the season without a rush (but will not likely help Falcons, who won't play again until that next season).

As to - why not just cancel the season? BT Sport and moolah - clubs esp ours have to be very precarious right now. BT has released the cash to Prem Rugby, but not yet from there to the clubs. Playing will be the only way to get that money. Giving up on that money by not playing means even larger losses to stem.
Stevie J wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:57 pm
As to - why not just cancel the season? BT Sport and moolah - clubs esp ours have to be very precarious right now.
I think LI and maybe one or two others really ought to play if there's a financial reward/obligation for doing so. I don't think this period out will be doing any good for the already stretched coffers.

As for allegedly letting 21 players go at season May 30 end, I think the usage of 'salary cap' is just a cover for the reality of financial expediency.

Having said that : the primary consideration for me now is to find a way to see the games on a per broadcast pay basis.

Adios Madejski Stadium -it was great knowing you...... :sad:
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]