By GHA
Naholo's been named in the Canterbury NPC squad for the upcoming season. I wonder what odds you'd get on him making more than four appearances and scoring more than two tries...
Given his knee and all the whispers about it, either we’ll have done a grand job rehabbing him for Canterbury or the medical prognosticators will be proven right and he won’t be able to stay fit.
By M_W
I see Englefield and B Atkins have now been moved over to the senior squad page on the offie. Their extension announcements were a bit vague (unlike Donnell's), but given they had done their three years in the academy it's not a surprise.

Still odd to see 5 senior 9s there, but assuming that Brand will spend the year at LS
MattM liked this
I went along to the Richmond Athletic Ground at the weekend to see Richmond v London Scottish. Both Rory Brand and Ben Atkins were on the bench and got on to the pitch for about the last 20 minutes for Scottish. I thought Brand looked reasonably competent and well organised, although his service looks about a second too slow to me. Box kicking varied - some went too long and one got charged down. It sounds like he’d made a good break in the previous week’s game against Ebbw Vale, but sadly we didn’t get to see any real breaks from him this time, but at least he didn’t repeat his yellow card! Ben Atkins looked lively in the loose and solid in the scrum and his arrows were generally good, although one went astray - hard to tell if it was the thrower or the jumper! Of the two, Atkins probably looked the more ready to step up, although it’ll be good for both of them to get some more game time with Scottish.
By M_W
Sounds like my impression of Brand on the rare occasions I do see him play. Despite the clamour for him to get prem gametime at times, his SH basics can look a bit ropy. Clearly capable of beating players with ball in hand, but I can see why Englefield got some minutes in front of him.

That said, he's had a really tough year with covid starving him of any time on the pitch. Usually he'd have expected to be starting the odd game in the minor competitions. Hopefully he gets a lot of minutes under his belt with LS and makes an impression on Kidney and Co.

Here's the break for the try last week

Well, I don’t think any of us saw that one coming. If he lives up to his promise he’ll be a good acquisition, although presumably we’ll lose him for internationals. It’s a recognition that SO’B would struggle to play a regular starting role and Donnell and ICH still have a bit to learn, although I thought ICH gave a good account of himself last Sunday, bar one silly penalty. It also means that we could field a pretty near first choice pack with no EQPs in it…
By M_W
Trialist Finton Coleman playing for us in the A game this evening. Similar sort of profile to Redmond. Has been playing AIL rugby for Young Munster.

Looks a big ball carrying forward (back row I think)

By GC89
Will withhold judgement until he has played as he looks decent enough, but can’t help but feel I would rather have backed youth even if we are carrying a few injuries for the next few rounds.
OK, it’s a highlights reel but it does look as though he’s pretty tough and has lots of go forward. It’s worth remembering that Matt Rogerson has played near enough every minute of this season so far, and he needs to be able to share that load with another seasoned campaigner if we’re to make it through to May. At the same time we can develop some of our back row youngsters, including our new Argentinian signing.
Narbia liked this
M_W wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:39 pm
In other news the squad photo call was this week. Pictures here:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/search/2/ ... &sort=best

Cillian Redmond is the only unexpected player in there. Wing/FB previously with Landsdown in the AIL. Presumably a trialist or a late academy entry.
Here is an article about how Cillian overcame cancer before joining Irish https://www.otbsports.com/rugby/redmond ... 1635942935
M_W, Narbia liked this
By GC89
Tuisue confirmed out the door, albeit not to the destination I expected.

Really disappointed by that. On his day, he is a pretty unique player and I think is also someone that the fans can rally behind. With Cracknell arriving midway through a season, I expect we won't be directly replacing him (unless the Hughes rumours are true), but I would worry about our ability to get over the gainline without him. Cracknell works really hard for his metres and is a very good player, but sometimes it is useful to have someone who can swot aside three oncoming defenders in the manner that Albert did at the weekend.
By Narbia
Terrific to watch [Albert] when he's in his stride. If he managed a decent wage uplift in the current climate, then I applaud him.

Somehow I think we hired him at the right time in his upward trajectory. I wonder how he'll be in a year or two.

I trust Olly Cracknell is duly contract bound : so far seems to be a great signing.
By GC89
Pure conjecture but saw on another forum that Magnus Bradbury could be of interest to Sarries and Exeter. If he is available he could be a good replacement for Albert and would have a better chance of being first choice here than at either of those clubs.
Grumpy1960 liked this
By GC89
Agreed on Hughes...the rumours are definitely out there though but if we can't afford Albert you would have to assume we can't afford Hughes unless he has dramatically dropped his asking price.
By M_W
Not saying there's anything in it, but it wouldn't surprise me if 2022 Hughes was actually a little cheaper than Albert.

He's also got the advantage for the moment of being EQP.

I wouldn't hate it as much as some as a signing if there was anything in it.
By Florida
M_W wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:18 am
Not saying there's anything in it, but it wouldn't surprise me if 2022 Hughes was actually a little cheaper than Albert.

He's also got the advantage for the moment of being EQP.

I wouldn't hate it as much as some as a signing if there was anything in it.
A cracking player on his day, but you'll need to work out how to keep him focused and on top of his game. Well, you won't, but Deccie and Kissy will
By GC89
Apart from the risk of him picking up a card, I always liked Hepetema and felt he was a bit underrated. However, BJVR is rightly first choice these days and with a cap to be managed and Phil C coming through as a player with a decent level of potential, I think letting him go is the right call. I'm sure he will do well in Grenoble.
MattM liked this
Always useful to have a utility forward, especially a young one - we've had lots of flankers through the academy but struggled for locks outside Munya. Hopefully he'll have Mafi to learn from as a good example.
GHA wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:09 pm
Hooker number 47 joins for the season, Alandré van Rooyen. Feels mad that at a time when we have the best hooker Irish have had in many years, we're still signing more but needs must, presumably...

https://www.london-irish.com/news/aland ... sh/bp3389/
I have no inside information. I just wonder if we've broken a few hookers. Atkins we know has shoulder surgery after an injury with Scottish and Marshall lasted 20 minutes versus Pau. Presume McElroy may be injured too.
By M_W
I know we tend to have complete radio silence with regards to injuries, but good to see Will Joseph taking part in training in the video released today. Must be a year or so out for him at this point with whatever injury it was.
By M_W
Absolutely no idea how reliable they are, but Blood and Mud podcast has Zebre/Italy props Danilo Fischetti (LH) and Giosuè Zilocchi (TH) both signing for us.

Fischetti is currently 1st choice for Italy.
Lazyboy346 liked this
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]