By Narbia
I don't get the gist of this thread.

Is Nick Phipps quite injured?

Why on earth are we not bringing the likes of Brand forward?.

I have no knowledge of this ex Leinster scrummie, but why aren't we bringing on our own?
That suggests we are doing the same thing as last year, announcing a core group then adding a few more later on like Morgan and Rhodes. Would be good if we had another lock as that's the forward position we are lightest on in the academy.

Anyone able to shine a light on any players that they'd have expected us to pick up who might still be in the frame? Pawadyira was one of the names I'd have thought we'd have tried to retain amongst others.
By M_W
Really hard to tell this year with so little coverage etc.

If you're looking at a lock it would be Harding who has been pretty ever present the last two seasons from memory. Gleeson is a massive Toner like beanpole. Think he's a year young though, so may be one to watch out for next year.

Someone like Freddie Fearnley may be in with a shout as late addition, but how many back row/hookers does an academy really need...

I think Pawadyira left school last year and missed out as I've not seen him feature this year from memory. Could be wrong though. He was a fixture of that St Paul's team, but in and out of the LI U18s.
By GHA
MattM wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:16 pm
Florida wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:10 pm
While I like Rory I'm a bit disappointed we've not gone for a scrum half, we seem a bit light there.
maybe he can learn the position?
Do we have anyone he can learn from though..?
Rory Jennings looks like a very useful signing and seems to have a good range of skills to judge by his highlights reel.

I’m just a bit disappointed that we’ve replaced TBC with someone with a single barrelled surname - having just landed a couple of triple barrelled ones I had high hopes of a new trend…
MattM liked this
By M_W
Remember him playing U20s and knocking round in the Championship. Didn't work out for him at Bath, but he's done well since and should be a pretty steady backup in the short term.

Despite confusion over the count and plenty of versatile players in the squad, I'm still expecting a wing signing to provide some extra cover there. Just a hunch, so may be wrong.
Walsh definitely has excellent feet. And afterburners.

And intrigued to see how Jennings turns out.

Ultimately, assuming some back three cover comes in (I'm assuming this will be a James Stokes esque signing?), it currently feels like a mildly underwhelming window.

Then again, MVDM has the makings of a brilliant signing. If he finds form, he will be priceless. And of the others, here's hoping one or two turn out to be gems - it might be a window we look back on as shrewd...

...especially if we have a scrum-half crisis of rare potency sometime in October.
shimmieandshake wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:12 pm
Ultimately, assuming some back three cover comes in (I'm assuming this will be a James Stokes esque signing?), it currently feels like a mildly underwhelming window.
I'm expecting the other way and for them to announce Kearney
By GHA
Florida wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:57 pm
shimmieandshake wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:12 pm
I'm expecting the other way and for them to announce Kearney
35-year-old Rob?
By MattM
I think for me it's decent business but a bit underwhelming only because we're used to bringing in more recognisable names (whether they all reach the levels expected is another discussion entirely).

I think this shows that our first choice team is largely set but there is a lot of depth required and opportunities in a couple of spots to claim a starting spot.
By M_W
I'm fine with the recruitment.

It all seems to tie together and make sense and I wasn't really expecting any huge signings of the sort we made a couple of years ago. I think we've got a competitive side that ran out of steam when our depth was challenged at the end of last season.
By GHA
Adam Hastings and Huw Jones would've been good, although Hastings would've been a little unnecessary with Jackson doing well and we'd lose Jones for internationals but we shouldn't lose BJVR.

I'm a bit jealous of Saracens who will be adding Ben Earl, Max Malins, Nick Isiekwe, Nick Tompkins, Alex Goode and Alex Lozowski (maybe George Kruis too?) to their squad from the start of last season, alongside their existing internationals, World Cup winners, British & Irish Lions etc. Some of those might be TBC.

Then again, my conscience is clear.
MattM liked this
Stevie J wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:14 am
So here is an almost (but not quite) exhaustive list of ins and outs around the Premiership: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _transfers

Interesting when someone says 'underwhelmed'. I'm not sure many teams here would feel much better necessarily except for Worcester (who couldn't have been much worse than this past season).
Nice link, thanks Steve. Interestingly I see Josh Basham has joined the full Falcons squad; another one that got away.
By MattM
I thought Ben really started to hit his stride in the last part of the season. He seems to be more comfortable at 7 than 6 so fingers crossed he gets a continued run there alternating with Blair (and I suppose SOB though I'd probably stick him on the blindside).
By M_W
M_W wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:38 pm
Remember him playing U20s and knocking round in the Championship. Didn't work out for him at Bath, but he's done well since and should be a pretty steady backup in the short term.

Despite confusion over the count and plenty of versatile players in the squad, I'm still expecting a wing signing to provide some extra cover there. Just a hunch, so may be wrong.
Not wrong for a change

https://www.london-irish.com/news/irish ... we/bp3043/
MattM liked this
By M_W
Highlights from a few years ago

Looks a nippy budget option, ex sevens. Got decent enough reviews based on his one Edinburgh game. Looks worth a look and hopefully has better luck than Kerr. Born in Ascot, so EQP. Pretty sure Scotland U20 weren't a capture team when he was playing for them.
I think regulation 8 covers the top two 15 a side teams (as defined by each nation, so it could be an A team or U20s) plus the national sevens team. So he's Scottish I believe under that.

I make the squad done and depending on renewals and no additional departures from those announced as:

59 players
40 senior players*
19 Academy*

The exact breakdown won't be confirmed until the club formally announce the Academy / Senior squad designations and who signed a senior deal.
I’m sorry we weren’t able to keep Mahu. He improved steadily in his short time with us and just before he got injured he was looking like a very useful player. Glad to see he’s got a decent berth, though.
https://londonscottish.com/an-open-let ... -williams/
We have an incredible combination of exciting new Championship talent, the best National One players in part-time rugby, Dual Registration players from London Irish and Harlequins all with Premiership experience, and a sprinkling of key old heads, some with international stardust.
Some of our boys would seem to be heading to Scottish this season.
By Narbia
Stevie J wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:53 pm
Certainly some of the academy/XV squad really need game time. Not least the surfeit of #9s.
Scottish still seem to be at the RAG for this season, so maybe I'll get to see them (Irish) in action.
Narbia wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:54 am
Stevie J wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:53 pm
Certainly some of the academy/XV squad really need game time. Not least the surfeit of #9s.
Scottish still seem to be at the RAG for this season, so maybe I'll get to see them (Irish) in action.
If Irish aren’t playing I really enjoy a trip to the Athletic Ground to see Richmond or Scottish. A good old fashioned stand with free seating and a great atmosphere and I seem to recall some excellent pasties too…
By M_W
Thought Elrington may be heading that way, as he's been hanging about in Cheltenham. Glad he picked up a contract.

Meehan's more of a surprise, given he headed back to Oz earlier in the year, but he'll be a solid signing for them.
Moore-Aiono on the club's first day back video. Glad to see he's been retained as his fleeting appearances have been impressive. Reckon a pairing of him and Donnell on the flanks (with Albert or Mafi at 8 for size) could be quite good for a fast paced game to set our backs up nicely.
By GC89
I like Moore-Aiono too - thought he looked very decent against Sale in what were difficult circumstances and would currently have him over someone like Isaac in the pecking order.

I am sure it is just ridiculous paranoia on my part, but I was slightly concerned by the absence of van der Merwe in the name check that the social media team did of the new guys turning up today.

The big plus from the images and clips was seeing Mafi training.
By GC89
That's a good point Matt - panic over...

Have to say that seeing some of the guys in training is making me quite excited. I think there are a fair few players that we are yet to see the best of because of injuries (e.g. Dell, Coleman, even Williams in the backs) and I've got a good feeling that things may click a bit more for us next season.
MattM liked this
By MattM
GC89 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:35 am
That's a good point Matt - panic over...

Have to say that seeing some of the guys in training is making me quite excited. I think there are a fair few players that we are yet to see the best of because of injuries (e.g. Dell, Coleman, even Williams in the backs) and I've got a good feeling that things may click a bit more for us next season.
Hope... I remember that feeling!

I agree, I'm feeling quite optimistic at the moment.
Sarries game

Go with 5:3 over 6:2 Who would you have as y[…]

Roadshow

Team S'Up for't Tigers

Which will be the reason we don't qualify, not the[…]

PIERS O'CONOR - BEARS TRIBUTE

He may be Connacht-bound, but he'll always be a Br[…]