By M_W
Video on Instagram of Coleman running for the first time since his injury.

That's good, but suggests we aren't going to see him immanently. Takes a fair while usually to go from running again to playing a game.
GHA liked this
By GHA
Yep, apparently mostly a starter for Edinburgh at 27 then a 'finisher' behind Cherry at 28. Works for me. Not an expensive Jamie George type who's going to want to start every game and push everyone down a rung, but someone who will come in and fight for his starts and be a rotation option with Creevy and presumably Cornish - not that George wouldn't fight for his starts too, but you hopefully know what I mean.
MattM liked this
By GC89
Yes, Coleman's "running" was good to see, but he is clearly some way off actually being able to play. If we could have him back for the last game or two, even off the bench, he could make a big difference though.
By M_W
I think we all guessed that he was off at the end of the season, but a slight surprise to see him go early. Hope all is well with him.

Certainly gives Englefield and Brand an opportunity for some game time in the run in. Englefield looks to be at the front of the queue at the moment.
MattM liked this
By GC89
I was a big fan of Meehan's for a long time. His kicking game was superb, he was capable of the odd moment of genius (his try v Wasps last season springs to mind), defensively very solid and (until this season) reasonably quick service. However, he has dropped off a bit this season and with Phipps's minutes increasing in recent weeks it is no surprise that he is not sticking around. A little surprised he has been allowed to go early but wouldn't be surprised if we have agreed to let him have some family time back in Aus before his next move given the circumstances.
Often one of the less mentioned roles for Meehan in the match day 23 was to provide cover at 10. If TBC is back in action he can provide the cover, although if he starts at 12 there’s the very real possibility that he gets injured before Jackson! So it may mean that we see more of Atkins on the bench, although it’s a moot point whether he’ll actually get much game time at 10 this season, and I’m certainly not a fan of playing him at 12.
By Narbia
Ben Meehan had a bit of tendency to get too wound up with the referee.

Having said that some of his touches were quite sublime, not just his box kicks, but sometimes his sniping runs over the line. As above his defence was quite solid too.

A wise hire by LI IMHO. So long, fella.
Quite a terse statement for someone who has been with us for four seasons. Makes me feel like it's not a happy parting of ways.

Best of wishes to Ben though and thanks for his service to the club.
By M_W
A few bits and pieces in TRP this morning. Make of it as you will.

- Simmons is being targeted by Racing 92 (likely to be in contract, but who knows)
- We are one of a few clubs trying to sign Pablo Matera for next season (guessing after his stint in SR. Superb player, but a bit of baggage)
- We are also looking at Ben White from Leicester (probably another realistic Meehan replacement along with Townsend. Was being groomed as Youngs' replacement but leapfrogged in the pecking order there by van Poortvliet)
- An American investment firm is looking at buying a stake in Leicester. We are one of a few clubs of interest if that falls through.
Stevie J liked this
By Narbia
M_W wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:59 am
- Simmons is being targeted by Racing 92 (likely to be in contract, but who knows)
Racing 92 have form in buying out players they want. Leone Nakarawa from Glasgow W. e.g.
And plenty €€€ to throw around.
By GC89
If we had more certainty about getting minutes out of Coleman then letting Simmons go early for a fee wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Coleman and Mafi are top drawer on their day and Nott, Mahu and Munga have all shown they can do a job as the back-up options. The thing that Simmons does seem to provide is certainty of availability and consistency when on the field.

Matera is a difficult one. Absolutely world class, but another player with a bit of baggage as you say MW. His Crusaders contract is for 2022 so would seem like either a short term deal until January 2022, or for the 2022/23 season which is still some way off!

White would be a solid, young option to replace Meehan. Lots of potential but hasn't quite got the chances at Leicester.
M_W liked this
By M_W
Yeah, the best thing about Simmons so far has been his relative durability. Compared to our other big ticket lock signings recently (Coleman, Mafi and Botha) he's not had anything like the same impact on the pitch. Still early days, but us getting a few quid for him leaving early wouldn't be a complete disaster.
By M_W
Happy with that. Our 9s tend to get a kicking in post mortems following losses, but he's been a good acquisition for me and has been key in driving our play when it's all clicking and we are on the front foot.

He's the guy who injects the most pace into our attacking play. He's not perfect from a game management point of view, but definitely worth sticking with if the funds are there and we want to play attractive rugby.
By GC89
Agreed with all of that. Happy he is staying. Game management hasn't been great lately, but PJ equally to blame for that. Phipps gets us really fast ball, which if we want to keep using those back three boys in the way that we do is pretty essential. In an ideal world, Townsend would arrive to challenge him, but suspect it will be someone more like Ben White.
Well that's some way to start Friday! Absolutely cracking news. He had a bit of a ropey start, mainly because we kept sticking him out on the wing, but he's been fantastic ever since moving back into the 13 shirt. Such an important player for us.
MattM liked this
By GC89
Great news indeed! I actually can't remember the last time we were able to hang onto our top talent. Parton, Phipps and Rona all extending in relatively quick succession is really promising.
MattM liked this
By M_W
Notice James Cronin has been announced as leaving Munster at the end of the season.

Sadly not sure we have room for another loosehead, but he'd be a good signing imo with the Munster links. A good, hard aggressive scrummager that would be the sort of guy we need to strengthen our front row.
By GHA
M_W wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:43 am
Notice James Cronin has been announced as leaving Munster at the end of the season.

Sadly not sure we have room for another loosehead, but he'd be a good signing imo with the Munster links. A good, hard aggressive scrummager that would be the sort of guy we need to strengthen our front row.
Rumour I heard was Montpellier...
By M_W
GHA wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:08 pm
M_W wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:43 am

Rumour I heard was Montpellier...
France would certainly make sense. Could probably pick up a decent contract there as he's probably got plenty in the tank still.
He'd be very welcome, in my book. A dynamic front-row jackal thread is always very useful, especially one with Irish links in our case.

Any ideas on the Dell situation? Injured, or just out of favour? And contract length? Not sure if we're expecting his to expire this year, or next. I'd presume Elrington will be moved on, also.

So who knows, the loosehead situation could change quickly, and even if not, someone of Cronin's quality might make sense, especially with Gigena failing to convince.

And on the other side, you'd hope we can sign someone of Kepu's calibre, only a man so durable and robust as to be a suspected mutant.
shimmieandshake wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:52 pm
He'd be very welcome, in my book. A dynamic front-row jackal thread is always very useful, especially one with Irish links in our case.

Any ideas on the Dell situation? Injured, or just out of favour? And contract length? Not sure if we're expecting his to expire this year, or next. I'd presume Elrington will be moved on, also.

So who knows, the loosehead situation could change quickly, and even if not, someone of Cronin's quality might make sense, especially with Gigena failing to convince.

And on the other side, you'd hope we can sign someone of Kepu's calibre, only a man so durable and robust as to be a suspected mutant.
Both Dell and Elrington were in the warm-up last night, Elrington doing sprints afterwards just before kick-off.
Odd how quickly Dell's form unravelled. If I remember correctly, in December/January it felt like he was playing the best he'd played for us, and threatening to get back to his general best?

I wonder what triggered the slide to where we are now, where it seems even Elrington's ahead of him.

Definitely not providing what you'd hope from a 25-cap international.
GC89 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:09 pm
Sometimes units work well together. Dell seemed to go well when paired with Kepu at tighthead and Creevy at loosehead, but any other combination and he really seemed to struggle.

Its a good point George. I just looked it up to see Dell's starts (without watching the video, not sure who he came on with for his replacements appearances);
  • Leics (H) - Started with Creevy, Kepu. (Locks Nott and Mahu)
  • Sale (H) - Started with Creevy, Kepu. (Locks Nott and Mahu)
  • Pau (H) - Started with Creevy and Chawatama. (Locks Nott and Mafi)
  • Wasps (A) - Started with Creevy and Hoskins. (Locks Mafi and Nott)
  • Northampton (A) - Started with Matu'u and Chawatama. (Locks Munga and Simmons)
He was on the replacements bench for Wuss (A), Newcs (H), Gloucs (H), Exeter (A), Bristol (H) and Leicester (A).

Since his turn on the bench for Leicester (A) on 5th March, he's made 1 squad out of 9 which is when he started against Northampton (A). I have no idea what any of this means, whether he's been injured or just needed some time away or if he's seen as a horses for courses type of player. There are three matchday squads left and he at least looked able to help with the warm up on Tuesday.

Out of the 10 players signed for our return to the Prem you'd have to say its a distinctly mixed bag. Goodrick-Clarke (Good, young, likely cheap), Dell (mystery), Kepu (Gone), Coleman (Bad injury luck, great when plays), Mafi (Ditto), O'Brien (Ditto again), Phipps (Pretty good), Jackson (Pretty good), Rona (Great) and Naholo (serious injury since before he came).
By MattM
Florida wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:32 am
TBC is retiring. Absolutely gutting news as he really could have been something special for us, but given the concussion issues he's faced over the few short years definitely the right decision
Agreed. When he could find a run of games he played some absolutely sublime rugby, but his health is far more important!
By Narbia
Yeah he was playing good. But health first.

Remember Shontayne Hape once of this parish as to what can happen with concussion.

Edit: so long fella. You were a significantly better player this season than in any other previous season.
Last edited by Narbia on Fri May 21, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GC89
Right decision for him. A top player and seems like a really good bloke too. I am sure he will go on to be a big success in whatever he does next. He played some really good stuff this season at times, but you can't build a backline around a player who is in and out so often. Hopefully there is someone suitable on the market to plug the gap.
Such a shame. Especially the timing. The despair we can take, the hope we can't stand - Theo's form this season really has been a glimpse of 'what could have been'.

Fingers crossed he lands on his feet. Maybe he can turn his culinary interests into something - I think that was the path taken by Sam Jones of Wasps, who retired at a similar age.

As for us, just amplifies the vitality of signing a 10/12, or better yet, two.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Lozowski link revived. Rumours were that he was pretty much signed-sealed to come our way before Covid struck. Maybe that's ambitious, though he's had a tough season in France.
By GC89
Lozowski would probably be the perfect signing for the backs. I had the same thought myself, but read an interview with him recently where he spoke in quite clear terms about being back at Sarries next season so I don't think it will happen sadly.
shimmieandshake liked this
Confirmed on the Offy: https://www.london-irish.com/news/theo- ... by/bp2972/

Given we now only really have Jackson and Atkins (if in contract next year) who play 10, I wonder if we would be interested in getting Noel Reid from Agen. He's a decent squad player who covers 10 and 12, has lots of experience with Leinster and is likely looking for a new club with Agen being relegated.

With Theo gone and Atkins rarely having played this season, we don't have depth behind Jackson nor a traditional play-making 12 so Reid would cover those gaps. I'd also look to see if Bradbury gets some game time in the cups off the bench and starts in the A league (if revived) as he has lots of potential.
shimmieandshake liked this
Not sure how his form is these days, but I've seen Scott Williams is being released by Ospreys. I remember him being very good a few years back, and covers 12/13. Possibly an option. Thirty-years-old. An international who probably won't be again, which is a sweet spot.

Ideally we'd find someone who also plays 10, but unless his form has capitulated, maybe worth a look?
By M_W
Ten will be interesting actually with TBC retiring.

Think it's more likely that we retain Atkins as a result (may have happened anyway tbf). Then there's definitely a need for another ten. Ideally someone with some decent top level experience. We've been very lucky with PJ's fitness this season. Can't bank on being that lucky every year
Never ending word association thread

Bert https://i.discogs.com/mIBHor3GSxyIB-7ovubgcr[…]

Sarries game

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2024/05/[…]

Team S'Up for't Tigers

Which will be the reason we don't qualify, not the[…]

PIERS O'CONOR - BEARS TRIBUTE

He may be Connacht-bound, but he'll always be a Br[…]