By Margin_Walker

Both teams could be struggling a bit for this one. Really can see the league grinding to a bit of a halt here. Certainly can't see how they can fairly relegate a side this year.
By SixNineOne
Given there are probably a whole load more abandoned fixtures in the pipeline over the next couple of months, I think only die hard supporters of relegation would deny the logic of ringfencing being applied this year, albeit with Saracens coming up. I’ve heard it said that the price of entry into the Premiership should be about £20m, so there’s a case for inviting Ealing to buy an entry ticket and make up the numbers to 14. Even after CVC’s share that would leave a fair chunk of change to be shared between the 13 shareholder clubs. The sad thing is that PRL will no doubt avoid taking a decision on ringfencing until the last moment, leaving several clubs’ management, backers and supporters fretting about the possibilities of relegation and messing up their recruitment and growth plans for next season.
By shimmieandshake
Yep, things have gotten out of hand very quickly. Even the start of the Six Nations could be under threat. I read today that even with nationwide Tier 4 arrangement, the R-rate would remain above 1 into February.

Definitely going to get worse before it gets better. Would love to get a game in on Sunday, and beyond, but health comes first.

Quins game on the 10th would need a lot of luck to go ahead, and I'm especially intrigued what the clubs are thinking about Europe - can't see us heading over to Pau on the 15th.
By SimonG
SixNineOne wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 pm
Given there are probably a whole load more abandoned fixtures in the pipeline over the next couple of months, I think only die hard supporters of relegation would deny the logic of ringfencing being applied this year, albeit with Saracens coming up. I’ve heard it said that the price of entry into the Premiership should be about £20m, so there’s a case for inviting Ealing to buy an entry ticket and make up the numbers to 14. Even after CVC’s share that would leave a fair chunk of change to be shared between the 13 shareholder clubs. The sad thing is that PRL will no doubt avoid taking a decision on ringfencing until the last moment, leaving several clubs’ management, backers and supporters fretting about the possibilities of relegation and messing up their recruitment and growth plans for next season.
There is an argument for ring fencing this season but no argument for including the Cheats.
By Stevie J
In the latest instalment of COVID Wheel of Fortune;
  • Worcs v Quins off, Quins can’t raise a front row, sounds like us that Worcs get 4 and Quins 2 points
  • Bristol have ruled out SIX front rowers but still plan to play Newcastle
  • Saints have had a positive and ruled out a further two due to tracing
Forget relegation, can you imagine not making the playoffs or Heineken Cup due to a call off and maybe not getting a bonus point?
By TeflonTed
Stevie J wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:52 pm
In the latest instalment of COVID Wheel of Fortune;
  • Worcs v Quins off, Quins can’t raise a front row, sounds like us that Worcs get 4 and Quins 2 points
  • Bristol have ruled out SIX front rowers but still plan to play Newcastle
  • Saints have had a positive and ruled out a further two due to tracing
Forget relegation, can you imagine not making the playoffs or Heineken Cup due to a call off and maybe not getting a bonus point?
It’s just chaos isn’t it?

Quins are miffed that they will likely be given only 2pts, reasonable moan really, since we (Wuss) currently couldn’t score against the Blind School wearing straight-jackets.
By Stevie J
Sun’s Jonny Fordham is saying we have double figures positives.

I mean I’m not sure what to say. Obviously hope the players recover but it continues to make a mockery of the competition, integrity is long gone.
By Margin_Walker
Cheers, just read the thread. Probably answers the question I just posed on the craic about hypothetically what may be different between our cancellation and Bristol, for example where they have apparently had a bunch of front rowers test positives.

Hope no one is seriously impacted and we'll get to see another game of rugby at some point this winter.

London is a rubbish location for a rugby club at the moment.
By SimonG
Stevie J wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:27 pm
Sun’s Jonny Fordham is saying we have double figures positives.

I mean I’m not sure what to say. Obviously hope the players recover but it continues to make a mockery of the competition, integrity is long gone.
To be fair the Premiership has had no integrity for at least the last six seasons due to the Cheats.
By shimmieandshake
Integrity of the competition definitely struggling - expect our Quins game will bite the bullet too - but how much better is playing hopefully 19/22 games than playing none at all?

I can't see any viable alternative. Just happy there's been anything really, in spite of incredible circumstances.

As for the way points are distributed, it seems to be the least imperfect solution to an unsolvable problem; a.k.a. maximum integrity in a place where it's never going to be entirely pure.
By SixNineOne
BT Sport will start to panic if our game against Quins is called off. So far this season they’ve televised every game Quins have played on one of their primary channels and the thought of two weekends in succession without showing a Quins match must be causing them some serious consternation...
By Florida
SixNineOne wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 pm
I am strongly in favour of ring fencing, the gap between the best of the championship and the worst of the premiership is currently too wide (both financially and in rugby playing terms) for the premiership to be viable for championship clubs and vice versa.

My favoured approach would be to ring fence for a period of no more than 5 years. That would be around £15m the RFU would save in parachute payments that could be invested into the Championship itself or the Championship clubs. During the ring fenced period the salary cap should be dramatically reduced and rewards for academy players increased, I would like to see squads like ours and Sales (plus others) become a thing of the past. BT have already shown that its possible to show every premiership game and the RFU need to look to do that for the Championship, be it on a red button service or online streaming. I would suggest during the ring fenced period Championship clubs should be paired with a Premiership club and have access to their academy. This is obviously a benefit for the Premiership clubs, but I also think it would help increase Championship viewing figures. I know I'd turn on one of the games to see some of our kids getting a run out, I'd probably even pop over to Esher to watch London Scottish if we'd been paired with them. I'd also suggest the paired club had access to see how the academy is run, which would no doubt help should they be looking to create their own.

In summary -
Ring fence for 3 - 5 years
Parachute payment of £9 - £15m invested into Championship
Reduce Premiership salary cap
Increase reward for academy players
Televise the damn Championship matches
Give Championship clubs access to Premiership academy players / coaches
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed