By Stevie J
In amongst the journos wailing and gnashing of teeth I actually think this deal is a pretty fair compromise all told:
  • Allows Prem expansion to 14 teams which was always on the cards to expand worthwhile matches and TV inventory (sorry, Prem Cup doesn't count). Game limits are still in place so players can't be flogged.
  • 15 mandatory EQPs increases chances for English players to gain Prem experience (I think we averaged 13 this past season) and the removal of the foreign player rule means less jiggery pokery with passports.
  • Promotion and Relegation suspended whilst the latest Championship arrival comes up is pretty fair, a guaranteed two years at the top table, so long as said club can meet minimum standards.
  • Funding to Champ to remain unchanged until 2024 from Prem. Not super helpful but better than nothing I imagine.
  • Again its being mocked by journos but in the release, its clear that relegation today costs £5 million to the club unfortunate to go down. Our accounts bear this out. After COVID losses of £4 million, we know all too well the gargantuan numbers and I'm frankly glad clubs are more protected from it. Players and especially non-players pay with jobs and the owners through paying off millions in losses from the commercial disparity.
So who's likely in the Champ? Well it's going to be Ealing. Their budget is dwarfed by a relegated Prem club's but their £2 million will likely do it, and they will likely coast in and have their two seasons, subject them to actually signing an agreement to play elsewhere. Cornish Pirates still haven't laid brick one at their new stadium with plans to downscale the first phase of the stadium meaning it may go back to the planners (https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ip-5578381).

I'm not sure Coventry are ground ready and not sure Donny's ground would make it - maybe if they shared at Headingley for a season or two? Its not exactly close, though, best part of an hour away.
GHA liked this
By GHA
Stevie J wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:28 pm
I'm not sure Coventry are ground ready and not sure Donny's ground would make it - maybe if they shared at Headingley for a season or two? Its not exactly close, though, best part of an hour away.
Donny could just play at the Keepmoat couldn't they?
By MattM
Cornish did talk about a short term ground share with Plymouth Argyle, which could work.

I don't see anyone but Ealing coming up, but we can dream of regular away trips deep into the West Country
By Florida
You've got to think it would be Ealing as they've been a good 15 - 20 points clear of the 3rd placed team since the 2017 season (not factoring this season), its going to be a fascinating league this season. In previous years the relegating team had been viewed as favourites and everyone's cup final, this time the favourites are going to be Ealing and they'll have a big target on their back. Will they be able to cope with the expectation? Will they be able to handle being targetted by everyone? Its going to be bloody good fun finding out, hopefully it'll get some screen time
MattM liked this
Quins game

It looks like our injury woes are viewed as an opp[…]

Blanket

Good for him, if he finds some fitness internation[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]