By M_W
Right then, Worcester first up. What kind of team are we expecting to see? The first half team against Connacht, or something slightly different? Given they didn't travel this weekend, I'm guessing van Rensburg, Mafi, Loader and Munga won't be available.

If I had to guess, I think we'll be unchanged, with a 23 something like:

15 Tom Parton, 14 Kyle Rowe, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Terrence Hepetema , 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Nick Phipps, 1 Will Goodrick-Clarke, 2 Agustin Creevy, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 4 Rob Simmons, 5 Adam Coleman, 6 Matt Rogerson(c), 7 Ben Donnell, 8 Albert Tuisue.

Willemse, Dell, Hoskins, Nott, SOB, White, Jennings, Williams

There are some interesting calls though. In the back row and argument could definitely be made for Donnell at 6 and SOB at 7 (or indeed SOB just swapping places with Donnell). Centre as well. Whilst I think they'll stick with the tried and trusted pair (and you'd struggle to ever drop Rona), both Williams and Cokanasiga looked very sharp. Think Rowe will ge the nod on the right if Loader was out. He never really got away, but I really liked what I saw of him. Quick, agile, powerful for his size and a good all round skillset. Got a feeling he'll be a very shrewd signing.
By shimmieandshake
Looks about right to me, MW.

I personally think SOB should be starting. He's fully fit coming off pre-season and looked lively against Connacht. Hope he can string some quality, consecutive performances together. It's time.

For me, it's then a coin toss between Rogerson and Donnell.

Assuming no injuries are picked up during the week, it'll be the best pack we've put out for a long old time. Let's hope they all remain fit, and that Mafi's back soonish.
By Narbia
If you did swap Donnell and Rogerson (and I think we should on this occasion) then who would be captain?

Not SO'B for me, and there's no-one from that starting line-up that seems obvious.
By M_W
Phipps or PJ would be captain you'd think.

Rogerson is an interesting one. I'm a huge fan of his and he's exceeded all expectations since he signed, but for me he wouldn't be in my first choice back row at the moment. Whether you have Mafi, or Donnell at six instead. I guess it depends on how wedded they are to having the club captain starting games or if it's more fluid. Certainly think he's start the season with the jersey anyway.

Also think Simmons needs to really step it up a level this season. It's noticeable how much more impressive Coleman is at lock for us whenever he plays.
By shimmieandshake
Narbia wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:29 pm
If you did swap Donnell and Rogerson (and I think we should on this occasion) then who would be captain?

Not SO'B for me, and there's no-one from that starting line-up that seems obvious.
It's a good point.

I expected Simmons to be captain material, but doesn't look like he is. SOB has the presence, but doesn't have the composure to speak to refs in the right way. Creevy's too busy winding up opposing hooker to effectively captain.

Beyond Rogerson, the most obvious choice is PJ. He's in the leadership group. Has a cool head. Makes many of our key decisions anyway. It would be okay with me, but I'm aware it wouldn't sit especially well with some.
By GC89
Some very decent performances in that second half, but I suspect the side will be very close to the first half side. I agree on Rowe - thought he looked sharp and did enough to stay in on the assumption Loader is still out.

I expect the two forwards that have been identified as being under pressure will keep their place. Rogerson still brings an extraordinary workrate in defence. It is just a shame that the carrying that impressed in the Championship season has faded. When we signed Simmons I knew he wouldn't bring as much "X factor" as Botha with his carrying and line-out steals, but I was happy enough that we were getting experience and leadership and an ability to do the right thing at the right time. The thing that has slightly disappointed me given that has been a tendency for him to commit silly offside and other infringements. Having said that, I think he keeps his place in the side for now as I think he probably brings a lot to the side that isn't always visible at first glance.

1. Goodrick-Clarke
2. Creevy
3. van der Merwe
4. Simmons
5. Coleman
6. Rogerson
7. Donnell
8. Tuisue

9. Phipps
10. Jackson
11. OHC
12. Hepetema
13. Rona
14. Rowe
15. Parton

Bench: Willemse, Dell, Hoskins, Nott, O'Brien, White, Jennings, Williams
By Stevie J
Ben Coles saying Lovejoy out a few weeks and Loader unlikely to play but otherwise a fit squad to pick from.
By GC89
That is very good news, although may not make that much of a difference to the side that started v Connacht. Perhaps Mafi to come onto the bench.
By SixNineOne
shimmieandshake wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:53 pm

Beyond Rogerson, the most obvious choice is PJ. He's in the leadership group. Has a cool head. Makes many of our key decisions anyway. It would be okay with me, but I'm aware it wouldn't sit especially well with some.
I agree that PJ is one of our key decision makers and has a pretty cool head on him, but I don’t see him as an out and out leader who might inspire the team to put in one last heroic effort - he strikes me as too quiet for that role. Do we know who takes over the captaincy when Rogerson comes off the field?
By shimmieandshake
SixNineOne wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:08 pm
shimmieandshake wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:53 pm

I agree that PJ is one of our key decision makers and has a pretty cool head on him, but I don’t see him as an out and out leader who might inspire the team to put in one last heroic effort - he strikes me as too quiet for that role. Do we know who takes over the captaincy when Rogerson comes off the field?
I concur. Beyond MR, I think Paddy's our best option rather than being an obviously outstanding captain.

It's also worth nodding to the difference between a captain and leader. It feels to me like Coleman, Creevy, SOB and Phipps, for instance, will provide energy, drive and lots of chat to their teammates, but wouldn't necessarily be the people you'd want liaising with the ref or making key tactical decisions.

Captain doesn't necessarily need to be a heroic and galvanising type if he has other leaders around him.
By Stevie J
Worcester Warriors v London Irish (Sixways) – kick-off at 3pm
Referee: Craig Maxwell-Keys
Assistant Referees: Anthony Woodthorpe and Dean Richards
TMO: Rowan Kitt
Citing Officer: Chris Catling
By M_W
Looks good. A few missing (Mafi probably the biggest loss), but broadly speaking it's a stronger team on paper than we were able to put out for large periods last season.

Looking forward to it
By GC89
I am really pleased that they clearly see BJVR as an option at 12.

Strong team. Mafi the biggest loss (closely followed by Loader but think Rowe will step up).

Whisper it, but the Wuss team is a little weaker than I thought it may be. Lawrence and Nanai the key threats out wide, but if we can stop the ball getting to them then we have a decent shot.
By Stevie J
Some interesting calls and I wonder if Phipps picked up a knock but otherwise largely as expected except for BJVR making his dayboo without appearing in Connacht. Will be very interesting, last season despite the scoreline Worcester carved through the middle of our defence time after time.

We said it numerous times but Coleman will be key, he destroyed Connacht's lineout and if we can keep him fit then he's almost a new signing. Mafi out is a blow, but with a small b.

Worcester will be interesting - I really rate Heinz but there's a lot of new heads and its their first premiership game together. Could completely surprise us or it could be slow to gel. Despite their poor form they usually beat us up there!
By Narbia
Maybe stating the obvious, but I think the game ought to revolve around Simmons and Coleman in the shape of Kennedy and Casey of old, if Irish are to get anything out of this.

Who's the replacement #10? James Stokes?

Nanai and Lawrence will certainly be threats running the ball at speed. I'm sure one or both of them will get a try for WW. Also Heinz was certainly getting about the field last week. One to be aware of.

WW marginal bookies' favourite at 10/11

This isn't televised in any way, so I guess it's back to old-style radio listening. :shrug:
By GC89
I think BJVR will cover 10 if needed. Parton probably next in line as played there a fair bit in youth.

Game may be available on bet365 or one of the betting sites although have not yet checked.
Narbia liked this
By Stevie J
I believe BetUK will be carrying Premiership games again on the teeny tiny screen on your PC or iPad (browser, not app).
By TeflonTed
Good evening from Wuss.

Good turn out of supporters in green today, including the gentleman in the east stand block C who entertained us hugely by standing up, turning to face the stand, and demanding loudly to know who present remembered some chap or other who used to play for LI. Hope he makes it home OK.

As for the game, I’m interested to know what the level headed supporters on here made of it. The more irrational residents of the SN boards are in full rant mode of course on both sides.

I had predicted a nervous high-scoring buggers muddle, with your locks dominating our relatively inexperienced pair, and of course we all know about Gus. I was broadly right, our lineouts were a shambles, scrums went both ways, and both sets of backs tried to get it wide.

What happened to PJ’s boot? He’s usually so reliable, but was poor today. For us 57 and Williams made the difference, and Nanai was pretty good. Don’t expect EJ was impressed by Ollie Lawrence today, rumour was that he was there primarily to watch OHC anyway.

Anyway, many thanks to those who did come, and we look forward to seeing your new home in due course. No-one liked the MadStad did they! (Well, no away supporters anyway).
Narbia, M_W liked this
By Narbia
@TeflonTed

I think your predictions were pretty similar to mine (see above and your GW thread). I followed the scores, but until I see the full replay on Prem. Rugby, I can't really comment.

But as far as Snores Network goes? :lol :evillaugh: :lol
By Florida
Broadly to be expected given at most the players have had 40 minutes of rugby, we had a 9 and 10 that have never played together, a 10 and 12 that have never played together and a 12 and 13 that have also never played together.

On the plus side we topped the possession and territory stats, tackle success was over 90% and penalties were in single figures.

No need for a meltdown just yet, let's wait for the next handful of games to get a better idea of where the team are.
By M_W
Only seen the highlights and am unlikely to put myself through the full game, but not too full of doom and gloom yet. Seemed to be one of those games where we were largely in control of possession and territory, but got punished heavily on turnover ball. That's a problem, but not an unfixable one and a big performance is clearly required against Sale.

I thought they were pretty fortunate with a couple of their tries too. On the Nanai try, the covering defender (Creevy) is blatantly being held back in the ruck and for Humphreys try van Rensburg's knee clearly hits the ground several times before he's stripped of the ball.
By GC89
Frustrating thing is a few things go the other way and we win the game, so I’m not all doom and gloom. But what is frustrating is that was the theme last season and it happened again yesterday.

I noticed all of those moments too MW. The Heinz try was also fortunate in the sense he took a quick tap and go from a scrum where we had them on the march.

The scrum was a big positive for me. I’m not blaming the ref as I think it was more our failure to control that dominance, but rarely have I seen a team so dominant get so little in return.
By GC89
On the new players, I thought White was decent but two very costly errors. The 12 point margin all came during his yellow.

Van Rensburg had a bit of a shocker too, but the potential is clear to see. Just needs a few games off the bench for me to get up to speed.

Van der Merwe beastly in the scrum and a few good carries accompanied by some handling errors.

O’Sullivan looked very sharp. Was pleasantly surprised by that.

Not a new player, but Donnell underwhelmed again. Got such high hopes for him but just seems to be hesitancy in a lot of what he does sadly.
By M_W
Yeah, I thought the Heinz try was fine. You have to hook the ball, so that's on Creevy really (and Jackson oddly enough for putting the ball in too straight!). Doesn't really matter that we were advancing. Was very sharp play from Heinz. It was also a superb intercept from him. He was off his line incredibly quickly (and legally) to take that.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards.
By GC89
Yes totally agree that it was the right call. I just suppose fortunate in that in general terms you wouldn’t expect to concede a try from a scrum asserting that type of authority. Agreed on Heinz though. Thought he was very impressive throughout.
M_W liked this
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]