By Stevie J
“Here we, here we, here we ******* go!”

So after being the first club to finish their season it’s been a long old break, since May 21st, when we sort of stumbled over the finish line with just enough momentum to secure 8th place. But, that’s the past and to paraphrase, I’m ready to be heartbroken all over again.

So here we go, a trip to Jersey where we got beat both seasons in the Championship to start our warm up for a season that features a return to the Champions Cup. Rather than dwell too much on Jersey which will likely be a bit scrappy with lots of changes, a bit on the new season.

Kidney-Kiss
In the past I've put on here about certainly how our progress has been under the coaching staff. Year on year our Points per game and Tries per game have all trended in the right direction. Our defence is somewhat still more porous.
  • 21/22 - 93 tries scored and 88 conceded in 23 games
  • 20/21 - 53 tries scored and 68 tries conceded in 19 games
  • 19/20 - 50 tries scored and 88 tries conceded in 22 games
Anecdotally this has been seemingly where we make a mistake and compound the error until the opposition are 5m out and scoring. OPTA had put up a tweet highlighting how Tigers in winning the league 1) kicked the ball the most and b) defended up field. Their scores conceded from lineouts was best in the league as so often it was very hard for most teams to get to their 22. Irish was from memory second bottom with teams scoring on a high percentage of lineout plays.

I'd imagine our attack may regress to the mean somewhat, especially if we have to rotate our key players more with Champ Cup in mind. So here's hoping the team can defend and not compound mistakes so much.

Luck and Pythagoras
Wins over Expected is a simple measure whereby measuring points scored and points conceded in a pythagorean formula, you can see the 'expected' win rate. Using that against what teams actually did you can sometimes pick out over and under performers. Its a basic measure and not to be used alone, but there's not too much public data to really dive into these things.

Back in 2020/21 and the three biggest over performers were Bristol, Newcastle and Bath. So given how they crashed to earth the following season its not a bad barometer.

Based on such measures the biggest difference in Wins over Expected in 2021/22 were... Irish (should have 3.2 more wins) and Gloucester (2.6 wins). Given the number of draws we have thats not surprising really. Leicester were the biggest over performers at 2.7 wins more than expected.

What does that tell us? I could see Gloucester with a bit of luck kicking on but given we drew 5 games I'm not sure I see the same thing for us. Leicester may regress but I think its likely they still will finish very high up.

Player Turnover
Officially the best part of 22 players, including loanees, have left Irish in the close season. Strip away those and some Academy players going to university, we can see what we are really dealing with. Dell and Van Der Merwe never really hit their straps whilst here. Nott was a great clubman and very handy to have around the squad. The backrow has lost a lot of experience in Tuisue, O'Brien, Mafi. Cracknell was seemingly never staying but he'll do well at Tigers.

In the backs Phipps is the biggest miss with Hepetema and Cokanasiga not being major players in the last 12 months. For my mind thats where we might struggle a bit at the start, is some connectivity between the back row and scrum half as Fa'aso'o and Powell bed in.

Personally most excited by Fischetti who gives us a great 1-2 punch with WGC on the loosehead and Fa'aso'o at 8 who has been talked up a lot. While we have lost Nott, and I was a big fan, we've rejigged the second row from 4 senior players to it seems 6 with Ratuniyarawa, Caulfield and Scragg joining. Hopefully less pressure will follow on Coleman and Simmons.

Predications are a mugs game
I'll make one anyway: I think assuming Worcester are playing all their games we will win 10 games, better than last season but with more losses, less draws and likely less bonus points. Thats the pessimist in me talking. I could see a situation where we win more with some teams resting England players, injuries, and who knows if we actually get some luck and turn those FIVE blimmin' draws into wins.

We have some better spaced breaks this season - Four league games and two mid-week cup games before a buy and two week prep for our 'Enya' trip. However following the Autumn Internationals we have a bit of a gauntlet with 11 back-to back weeks of league and Champions Cup including a trip to South Africa and a tightened Christmas / New Year period.

Broadly I could see Gloucester nicely building and likely some sort of bounceback campaigns from Bath and Bristol (though I still don't rate them much).
Mañoexile, M_W, Narbia liked this
By M_W
Nice preview. It'll no doubt end up being an interesting season.

It's definitely the most positive I've gone into a season in a long long time (which is probably tempting fate a bit too much)

We played some great rugby last year, despite some of the usual frailties. Sure, the turnover is high, but outside of Phipps and Tuisue, I'm not seeing a huge impact on the pitch. Tuisue at least has been replaced by a quality operator.

The squad seems really happy and there's a real home grown contingent now, even if that hasn't completely filtered into the 1st team. Whilst we are never going to play like a Leicester, we do now have so much firepower to hurt teams on a good day, backed by a bit more self belief than there's been in the past.
Stevie J liked this
By Stevie J
So 31 players going. By my reckoning (forgetting those who played some form of internationals this summer) we are missing: Willemse, Zilocchi, Parker, Green, Munga, Rogerson, Cooke, Moore-Aiono, Fa'aso'o, Powell and Parton. By position I make that:

LH: Gigena, Haffar
Hooker: Cornish, Atkins, Miller, Vajner
TH: Hoskins, Chawatama
Locks: Coleman, Simmons, Caulfield, Scragg
Back Row: Basham, Donnell, Pearson, Smart, Curtis-Harris.
SH: O'Sullivan, Englefield
FH: Jackson, Jennings, Atkins
Centres: Janse Van Rensburg, Rona, Morisi, Hitchcock, Williams
Back Three: OHC, Loader, Stokes, Dykes

Wonder if Ben Atkins is reverting to the back row, as I count four hookers. I know Kidney used to be one but thats...a lot for one game. Ben formerly was a back rower in the junior academy.

Will be great to see Haffar get a run out with the seniors.
By M_W
Yeah, would expect Atkins at least to be back row cover here. Guessing Basham and ICH will be the 8 options which will be interesting to pay attention too if Fa'aso'o isn't fit. Rogerson confirmed on Twitter that he's just had a shoulder Op, so guess he'll be out for a while

Despite the depth at LH, Haffar could be one to watch this year in the Prem Cup. Was doing really well for the Rams last season in ND1 before he got injured. He could be a really effective carrying loosehead if he kicks on.

Great to see Williams back. He really needs an injury free season. Hope he goes well.
By GC89
Atkins was wearing line-out strapping in one of the training photos so would say there’s a decent chance he is covering back row…we will see if it’s a short or long term move.
By Florida
Atkins (B) at 8 for the second half

Story so far
Williams is looking back to his unstoppable best, such a hard player to bring down
Cornish looking good ball in hand
We're shockingly poor at restarts
Our defense remains ... Optional

2nd half
Don't seem able to get out of our 22 for long
Scrum is getting taken apart
Defense is better, but discipline is now optional
By Stevie J
Definitely a preseason game, sloppy all around, which is not surprising given the new combinations that were out there.

Felt Williams was the stand out player, he clearly has missed being out there and had some great lines and powerful running. Here’s hoping our Swiss Army Knife is back.

Certainly on the restarts either the wind or the sun seemed to play a part on the first half, at one point Scragg went up and the ball landed fully five feet in front of him.
By Hsmith18
Was always going to be a challenging second half with a pretty inexperienced pack against a strong jersey outfit.
Plenty to be positive about though first half. Thought our attack was very good and threatened every time we got the ball. Donnell and williams were particularly sharp.
Never ending word association thread

Hibernian https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag[…]

Team S'Up for't Tigers

Also, if the gods favoured us: We beat Sarries wi[…]

PIERS O'CONOR - BEARS TRIBUTE

He may be Connacht-bound, but he'll always be a Br[…]

Yes the big announcement jarred with me too and su[…]