By GC89
Off to a good start with a high-scoring win over Truro. Interestingly the match report mentions Haffar picking up from the base to score a try, when I am pretty sure he was listed to start at prop. Based on the clips of him I have seen, I would be very much in favour of keeping him in the back row. Looks an absolute beast.

https://www.london-irish.com/news/londo ... sh/bp2272/
By Margin_Walker
Think he plays both and that he is currently being converted to loosehead from the back row. Not 100% on that though.

We should have a decent AASE team this season with 4 of the 5 that toured with England this summer going to St Paul's
By Margin_Walker
So the AASE team pulled it out the bag and made the final. Lost a couple of games to finish third in the South Group in the initial league stage. That was enough to get them through to the next stage where they got TBP wins in all three games to get through to the final for the first time. Culminating in a cracking 30 - 17 win (in what was essentially the semi final) against Hartpury, who tend to win this every year and who had beaten us 0 - 36 earlier in the season. We play Beechen Cliff (Bath) in the final, next Wednesday 4 Dec @ 15.00, with the game streamed by the RFU on Youtube. Highlights from the Hartpury game below.

Just before AASE final (12.30 KO on the same stream) Wellington College play Rugby School in the final of the U18s Champion's Trophy. Plenty of LI lads likely to be turning out for them, including Lucas Brooke at hooker (Zinzan's son) and a Hector Elrington (assuming it's Harry's brother) at 15 who had a great game in the semi against Epsom.
Narbia liked this
By Stevie J
Does anyone who knows or is closer to the Academy know how good this U18 class is against the one that won the Academy U18 league in 2016?

That line-up from the U18 final;

15 Will Attfield; 14 Joe Cokanasiga; 13 Matt Williams; 12 Lewis Sampson; 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins; 10 Tom Parton; 9 Rory Brand; 1 Jarod Leat; 2 Matt Kouris (Captain); 3 Austin Hay; 4 Harry Butler; 5 Josh Basham; 6 Jack Cooke; 7 Jack Ingall; 8 Isaac Curtis-Harris.

Replacements: 16 Freddie Boyce; 17 Callum Torpey; 18 Daniel Winning; 19 Angus Southon; 20 Harry Norton 21 Dan Grant-Adamson; 22 Sam Evans; 23 Roman Malin-Hiscock.
By Margin_Walker
Hard to know really as the AASE is only a part of it.

I'd be surprised if we don't have our best U18 season since 2016 when it starts up next month. Matching that team would be a tough ask though as they went unbeaten on the way to the title from memory.

Whatever happens we should have another strong senior academy intake in the summer.
By Margin_Walker
Wellington beat Rugby School 41 - 19 in the first game. Raced into a big early lead before getting a bit too loose in the second half when Rugby came back into it. Ted Johnson (Quins academy flanker) probably the pick for me. From a LI POV, Monty Bradbury and Hector Elrington were great at 10 and 15

St Paul's won their first AASE league title in the second match 31 - 23. Exeter like performance from St Pauls after going behind and losing our best outside back (Michael Dykes) to injury. Pummelled Beechen Cliff with big ball carriers and pick multi phase pick and goes close to the line. Rory Morgan (9) and Tarek Haffar (LH) the pick of the players. The latter got the official MOM and will be some player if he keeps developing.
By Stevie J
Just to add that the first U18 league game is this Saturday versus Gloucester.

A number of those Cup winning Wellington College and AASE winning players are in there including Tarek Haffar, Marcus Rhodes, Rory Morgan, Monty Bradbury as well as JJ's brother, Will Joseph.
By Margin_Walker
Yep, interesting to see how we go. Gloucester are a tough fixture first up as they are often the strongest team in our conference.

We've actually got three players in the starting pack who've been playing hooker this season in Vajner, Davis and Brooke. Big misses would be having both Dykes and Hames out injured (I assume) on the wings. Both toured with England U18s in the summer.

Bradbury (who's still a year young) and Morgan are a decent halfback partnership.
By Margin_Walker
Live stream of the game

Stream cut out before the end, but finished 10 - 22 to us (TBP). Decent performance in difficult conditions. We definitely have a shot of making it to finals day this year if we can keep building some momentum. Quins at home next weekend will be another tough one.
By Margin_Walker
Well at least someone is winning at the moment.

Another win from the U18s yesterday against Bath to make it three from four (with a TBP in every game). Currently on top of the Southern Conference with a great chance of making the final. Just games against Bristol and bottom bottom of the table Exeter to go.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]