By M_W
I mean my first response would always be to ask how much money he actually has. Seems at first glance a bit small time for the sums needed to get something like this off the ground.

On the other hand, it's at least something positive to break the radio silence. Someone with some kind of track record talking about reviving the club.
By Florida
Yup, similar thoughts to myself. Even if they manage to close the deal, there's still a huge amount of work needed to get a club formed again. Somehow they also have to get something of the old London Irish that encouraged me to follow them again
M_W liked this
By Stevie J
I can't say I am in any way enthused by what I read.

A 31 year old German "Investor" with seemingly no verifiable income and no attachment or connection to the sport, is going to plonk down enough money for an entire sporting operation, players and coaches and other infrastructure and likely cover the losses from a Championship operation.

With no ground to play at. Oh and he'd need to cover the rugby creditors and show proof of funding to the RFU, which was the rock that old Chip crashed on.

His LinkedIn has only this investment vehicle (Hokulani) and a holding company in the Netherlands that (apparently) deals in technology with the Russian market but only has 1 employee. Seemingly himself.

His investments are lower level women's football teams. Hokulani is a Person of Significant Control at Halifax for sure but how much would that cost him?

I'd also like to see the journalist do a bit more due diligence. Was Crossan approached for comment, the RFU? They loved briefing the papers when we were going to the wall. So all we have is this fellas word when talking to a women's football journalist.
By M_W
Yeah, agree. I was being kind with the track record reference, in that he'd actually purchased a sports club, which was a step further than that fantasist that was mentioned 6 months or so ago.

The reality though is that buying a controlling share of Halifax women's FC will likely have cost absolute peanuts compared to getting a pro rugby setup off the ground. All I'm really seeing really is a website for the investment vehicle and a few links to either the football club, the franchise in Canada or Companies House listings for a few other companies with little or no money going through them.

Agree on the due diligence here from a press point of view. This bloke could have access to the funds to get things off the ground, or he could be miles off and be a bit of a time waster for Resolve / not in the running at all. I'm naturally pessimistic, but if I had to guess, my money would be on the latter.
By GC89
Totally agreed on the reasons for pessimism.

In a weird twist, he has now come out and confirmed he is in the running to purchase Reading FC and made an offer of c. £24m to buy the club. The plan being that we would return to Reading as tenants. Reading between the lines and some slightly poetic tweets he has sent, I think his interest will subside if he doesn't manage to get the Reading deal over the line (and from what he has said, although he is apparently the highest bidder, he is currently getting the silent treatment).
By M_W
GC89 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:17 pm
Totally agreed on the reasons for pessimism.

In a weird twist, he has now come out and confirmed he is in the running to purchase Reading FC and made an offer of c. £24m to buy the club. The plan being that we would return to Reading as tenants. Reading between the lines and some slightly poetic tweets he has sent, I think his interest will subside if he doesn't manage to get the Reading deal over the line (and from what he has said, although he is apparently the highest bidder, he is currently getting the silent treatment).
Yeah, just been reading that and the tweets. It's certainly taken a left turn. He's either a bigger chancer than expected, or he does have access to some proper capital. Like you say though, even if there is money it wouldn't be a surprise if it's all dependent on him getting the football club, which looks a long shot.
By Stevie J
Take a look at this very brief thread looking into some of his financials.

Lot of questions to be answered.

M_W liked this
By M_W
This yesterday from a Reading Chronicle Journo covering the sale of the football club

Never ending word association thread

Keith

Falcons

Not on TNT??? I think it's PRTV only

Heaton Moor 2nds 54 Congleton 2nds 17. KO 12 n[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]