Elgar wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:26 pm
Ooh! Izzy Folau!? .... Stop it!

That's a picture of a killer whale fin any way.
.......but in the distance it might seem to be a huge shark. I've never quite managed to keep up with potential signings (or even actual signings). I shall say what I always say: whoever it is, however apparently good or bad, he (well, presumably he) has to gel with the others already here, or yet to come.
Well whoever it is (either Manu re-signing or a much-needed TH would be my choices), we won’t find out until Saturday afternoon now.

Offy on Twitter has suspended all non-essential communications as a mark of respect for Prince Philip, until after his funeral. This doesn’t count as that.

Instinctive cynicism suggests the signing isn’t finalised; either way, it strikes me as laughable to take such a stance. It’s miles over the top.
45jumper, Olyy, DaveAitch and 1 others liked this
45jumper wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:51 pm
Completely agree with your opinion on why comms have been delayed, @PappjeShark. Can't help but feel everyone's gone a bit mad about it all.
Not everyone ...................... Noone that I'm directly involved with is doing anything different than usual. They're getting on with their lives/working/running their business.
StalyShark wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:49 am
Very over the top I agree. Like a lot of you I’m cynical about the delay “trouble at mill”?
From the Budgies SN board, I read that the GP Clubs had been encouraged by the League to limit their social media output to essential only, until Phil The Greeks funeral was over. The statement on Sales Offy says very similar.
I’m inclined to believe that they’re being honest on this particular delay, as the announcement date had specifically been set, not the “in a couple of weeks” standard.

They’d be a bit daft to have said specifically Wednesday if not all done and dusted (ok quite possible with Sale...)
PappjeShark wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm
Wasps announced Sopoaga is off to France yesterday, so I couldn’t help but quote it on Twitter and profess my faux outrage at the disrespect being shown :lol
& I'm outraged at the outrage that you have shown on twatter.

I'm glad that I don't use any social media platforms, as I'd have to outrage myself publically, via, ahem, social media.
I just had a thought about who the new signing might be. We need a Tighthead, the red rose indicates an England international and he was rumoured to be going to Toulon but it hasn't been confirmed....Kieran Brookes, anyone?
Personally I'd be really happy with that. Been in good form for Wasps from what I've seen and would add some welcome bulk to proceedings.
45jumper wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:46 pm
I just had a thought about who the new signing might be. We need a Tighthead, the red rose indicates an England international and he was rumoured to be going to Toulon but it hasn't been confirmed....Kieran Brookes, anyone?
Personally I'd be really happy with that. Been in good form for Wasps from what I've seen and would add some welcome bulk to proceedings.
Not sure whether us already having JCW makes this more likely or less
Olyy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:17 pm
My guess is a Manu re-signing - the red rose being the hint

Though maybe it's a different England capped player?
Kieran Brookes is rumoured to be leaving Wasps at the end of the season - Toulon was the club mentioned, but the French clubs seem to be cutting back on their wage bills atm
Local(ish) lad, as well - from Stoke but played for Fylde before going pro (guessing he knows Josh, in that case?)
:mrgreen:
45jumper wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:46 pm
Brrokes always gives me the impression as being a keen student of the Brian Mujati school of effort and application, whilst having an intimate knowledge of all the Greggs pie counters in his locale.
Olyy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm
Olyy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:17 pm
My guess is a Manu re-signing - the red rose being the hint

Though maybe it's a different England capped player?
Kieran Brookes is rumoured to be leaving Wasps at the end of the season - Toulon was the club mentioned, but the French clubs seem to be cutting back on their wage bills atm
Local(ish) lad, as well - from Stoke but played for Fylde before going pro (guessing he knows Josh, in that case?)
:mrgreen:
Whoops! All credit to you Olyy :mrgreen:
I'm not sure how I'd feel about signing Brookes
Having that many clubs under your belt is never a particularly good look,
Would need to hear from Wasps fans who seem him week in week out as to what kind of form he's in - historically his scrummaging has never been that impressive, but 30 is no real age for a tighthead prop so he could be scrummaging a lot better at this stage in his career - and that's definitely the aspect of play we should be focusing on when signing a new #3
DavenportSharky wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Bevan Rodd seemed to have the measure of Brookes at scrum time. Harper is hopefully going to get better and better. Do we need a 4th tight head?
I’d rather not have Brookes as he’s been a wasted talent, arguably through injuries, since he broke into the England team. Problem is Coenie has been very underwhelming and JCW has too plus injuries. I don’t know who else is available though! Stuart? Only just moved to Bath and will be away a lot. Koch? Another Saffa wouldn’t help our rep unless we lost one/two. The rest are either England (Sinckler etc), well set at Exeter (Williams) or just making their names (Hill, Paynter etc). No one from France would come due to money so not many options.
DavenportSharky wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Do we need a 4th tight head?
I think so - Oosthuizen and JCW are penalty magnets at scrum time,
I'm not sure what injury JCW is out with, as well, but he's been out for almost 6 months now - who knows what longer implications that will have on his career?

They also both have 1yr left on their contracts and I'm not sure either will be around longer than that
Easier to sign one 3 this year and one next (with Harper taking the 3rd slot) than scrabble around trying to sign two prem standard tightheads at once next year

Harper showed potential in his cameo the other week, but I don't want to rush his development too much, especially as he only recently converted from the backrow
If that's true (and despite the Daily Heil's other reporting, their rugby stuff is usually spot on) then I'm very happy with it - providing the price is right (and I don't think we'd be chucking unreasonable amounts of cash around - and the article suggests we paid less than foreign sides offered)

Injury free Manu is one of, if not the, best centres in the world - as bad as his achilles injury is/was, the only shining light is that it was a new injury and not a recurrence of one that kept him out before.

If (big if) he can play even half a season injury free, he's an absolute game changer.
Olyy wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:40 am
We're after Jannie du Plessis, apparently

As good as he was in his prime, he'll be 39 next season...
Doubt it. Never played in England and back in SA. Fella is a doctor so it’s not that he’ll need to move his family again for a last payday.
I’d take Jannie Du Plessis on a 1/2 year contract whilst we bring Harper through. Think about the amount of experience an ageing Adam Jones brought and how much that helped a young Kyle Sinckler.

With John leaving, we are in trouble at TH. JCW has injury problems that have plagued him throughout his career but have really impacted his time with us. Oosthuizen just doesn’t look like a top class TH.

I expect after missing out on Schonert, we realised that the TH market is pretty small at the minute. I’d rather go for an experience head with great scrummaging pedigree than go for another English TH with injury issues
Also re the Manu re-signing, I’m ecstatic if it is the case.

He is one of the few household names in English Rugby (even my mates who don’t like rugby know of him) and he is world class when fit. I appreciate that it’s a risk, but it’s one I think we are right to take.
TRP suggesting Sale are interested in Jannie Du Plessis, TH prop at Montpellier, he’s a Multi-cap Springbok who’s about 38. Would be good for a season subject to some rotation/ rest to allow Harper time to develop. (that’s assuming he’s as good as some people are saying).

Cooper-Woolley would have to step up though!
Would be delighted if that's true
I know we were chasing him before (as were Exeter, I believe) but I remember reading that we'd lost the race

Hopefully rumours of the transfer's demise were greatly exaggerated
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]