By poyntonshark
ejndavid95 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:58 pm
How on earth is that a penalty, Cam's out of the way before TT's over it!!
Peanlised for rolling away correctly. Who'da thunk it.
By StalyShark
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:57 pm
Sam James has had a magnificent spell in this second half
Not sure about that. Largely anonymous again; most of the players were too though.
By Olyy
Dire second half,

Embarrassing hearing the booing and jeering of the bath kickers from the crowd as well
Flumpty liked this
By Surbiton_Shark
Got away with murder. Same flaws as last season still present. Dodgy scrum, not clinical with our chances, really need AJ, Rob still blows hot/cold, a lot of physicality not much guile.

Nice to see Tommy Taylor back.
By poyntonshark
We played some nice rugby in the first half, should have been out of sight at halftime. Bonus point there for the taking and we quite literally threw it away. As there was zero rugby played in that second half I am going to pretend it didn't exist.
By Surbiton_Shark
As per last season - for all today's game - we're the only winning side without a try bonus point.
By Clutch
No worries with that. We’ve created much more than games gone by. Plus we would have lost the game. 3 points gained.
By Van Cannonball
I’ll take any win until the Saffers return. We’re more impacted than most teams at the start of the season and will be strong through the 6 nations.

The scrum was pretty good through to 50 mins which is when we’d normally expect a change. Unfortunately we had our 4th choice tight head on the bench and wasn’t trusted, even when Schonert had clearly blown up (he missed the tackle that led to the bath try too). The Worcester board has expressed maybe Sharkey doesn’t have the best conditioning but shouldn’t matter so much if he can do 50 and then bring in Coenie.

7th choice 2nd row didn’t make it on either and after we had to make an early back row change. So some mitigating factors but still a poor 2nd half. Mostly came from the scrum turnaround though so I’m not so concerned.

Akker’s lineout was pretty good. Him and Rodd were dynamic. Cobus was good. The back row definitely lacked impact, but we’re missing 3 outstanding players. Thought Neild had a good game but he and Jono are too alike for a balanced back row.

Wingers I thought were good but Muir is a handful - 2nd half we struggled against the offloads and I thought there were many that edged forward and none given. Hammers was fairly anonymous.

Manu looked in good condition but after the first 20 we didn’t mix the plays enough. Sadly I’m losing patience with RdP. He has so many good attributes but just too many errors. Would’ve liked to have seen Wilkinson on earlier.

We lost this game last season so considering lots we can improve and the players to come back in, I’ll take it! (Although I was highly stressed all 2nd half...)
poyntonshark, Bronzbronx, Olyy and 2 others liked this
By poyntonshark
Van Cannonball wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:46 pm
I’ll take any win until the Saffers return. We’re more impacted than most teams at the start of the season and will be strong through the 6 nations.

The scrum was pretty good through to 50 mins which is when we’d normally expect a change. Unfortunately we had our 4th choice tight head on the bench and wasn’t trusted, even when Schonert had clearly blown up (he missed the tackle that led to the bath try too). The Worcester board has expressed maybe Sharkey doesn’t have the best conditioning but shouldn’t matter so much if he can do 50 and then bring in Coenie.

7th choice 2nd row didn’t make it on either and after we had to make an early back row change. So some mitigating factors but still a poor 2nd half. Mostly came from the scrum turnaround though so I’m not so concerned.

Akker’s lineout was pretty good. Him and Rodd were dynamic. Cobus was good. The back row definitely lacked impact, but we’re missing 3 outstanding players. Thought Neild had a good game but he and Jono are too alike for a balanced back row.

Wingers I thought were good but Muir is a handful - 2nd half we struggled against the offloads and I thought there were many that edged forward and none given. Hammers was fairly anonymous.

Manu looked in good condition but after the first 20 we didn’t mix the plays enough. Sadly I’m losing patience with RdP. He has so many good attributes but just too many errors. Would’ve liked to have seen Wilkinson on earlier.

We lost this game last season so considering lots we can improve and the players to come back in, I’ll take it! (Although I was highly stressed all 2nd half...)
Wot 'e said.
By Van Cannonball
On Ridley I thought he was decent. Better than I was expecting. Midfield was allowed offside far too much, but that seems to be par for the course.

Personally I thought Bath should’ve at least had a team warning for the volume of pens in first half though.
By StalyShark
I’m in Van Cannonball’s corner on this. I really do think the RdP venture should be phased out and Wilkinson in behind AJ. It’s much better for the club and my nerves whenever he kicks.
By poyntonshark
Re: Mr Ridley

As usual some decisions I didn't agree with, and I might be right with some of them. My biggest issue was that he still doesn't exactly exude authority, he seems almost apologetic for some decisions. The pace and flow of the game was good in first half, he deserves some credit for that.
By Alex
Agree with most of what's been said, I don't see how Bath didn't get a warning in the first half for volume of pens.

Though Sharky was good in the scrum until Bath brought Obano off and their replacement seemed to get on top.

Went into half time thinking we should get a bonus point and by full time was very happy with the 4 points we've ended up with!
chris1850 liked this
By chris1850
Just back from the game. Initial observations were
1. Good performances from Rodd, Akker, Cobus, Neild, Manu, Marland and Byron amongst the starters and Rohan added impact when he came on. Will was Will - steady, and that's OK.
2. Stand out for me by a country mile was Raffi. Just hope he (and Ben are OK) What a talent.
3. We left 2 tries at least out there through carelessness(?) Or bad luck really - JPDP and RDP. Had we scored those, I would have longer nails.
4. Ridley was generally pretty fair, I thought. You can always argue particular decisions but the ref has to make a decision each time and I can't say that he got much blatantly wrong. I do wish he would gee the scrum up a bit though
5. Schonert looked good in the scrum until he tired and gave away a couple of pens before going off. He was fairly anonymous in the loose though I thought. BTW, where is Harper?
6. Good to see TT back. He is a good, solid hooker and you know what you will get from him. Couple of good hands as well.
7. Yet again, a real shambles at all the bars. I know it's nothing to do with the club, but after 9 (?) years, you would have hoped the stadiumstaff would have sorted it out
8. Ditto the turnstiles. Only 1 of 3 open at the l/h end of the West Stand. Lots of people trying to adjust to digital tickets and hence, long queues
9. Finally, apologies to Bath for the unforgivable booing of Orlando Bailey as he took the final kick at goal. There were 3 or 4 drunken oiks in the platinum seats in the next block to us who seemed to be the main protagonists. The club and the game do not need or want such idiots
10. Finally the dreadful PA. I hope never ever ever to hear again that boom, boom, let's hear it for Sale thing. It was AWFUL. Secondly, our announcer needs to learn how to pronounce du Preez. Embarrassing
DavenportSharky, JohnJ of HM, tbird and 1 others liked this
By iBozz
poyntonshark wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 pm
Re: Mr Ridley

As usual some decisions I didn't agree with, and I might be right with some of them. My biggest issue was that he still doesn't exactly exude authority, he seems almost apologetic for some decisions. The pace and flow of the game was good in first half, he deserves some credit for that.

On RefLink he seemed overly concerned, during the first half, with the scrums exerting pressure "too soon." He wasn't the most loquacious of Referees to whom to listen but I thought that he had a fair game and he seemed to explain most decisions properly.
By Alex
On Raffi think he should be ok, was walking round the ground at the end and said it wasn't too bad and he should be ok for next week
chris1850, 45jumper liked this
By IrishShark
When raffi was being seen to after the 2nd try, we were down to 14 and cliff hadn't replaced him. For me this was why we ended up under so much pressure and Hammersley ended up getting carded.
Olyy liked this
By Thekeg
Saw Harper on crutches hobbling around before the game, putting weight on both legs but clearly out for a few weeks at least
By DavenportSharky
Harper on crutches, Josh and Tom all on concourse before the game. Lots of queues outside and not many turnstiles would have been pretty grim if the weather had not been perfect. That needs sorting. Some people may have missed kick off and that’s not acceptable. More queues for the bar under the West Stand. Plus ca change. I agree with Chris on all his points especially that bl@@dy awful music. Who on Earth makes these decisions? And while I’m in a bad mood, save some money on the stupid fireworks at the start. The ref link did not work for the first few minutes.
Thinking of my Sale starting 15 to beat the Rest of the World, there were only 5 starting today. Bath were nothing special but we have struggled against them recently and without our stars a win is terrific. We were dominant in the first half and a turgid second best in the second. I may be wrong but I think Schonert gave 4 penalties away in the scrum. Considering how dominant we seemed at the first scrum the final tally will not make good reading for West. Obano was a real weakness for Bath. Akker did better than I feared at lineout time. Rodd had a couple of turnovers. His work in the loose gives a clear advantage over Ross H. Nice to see a full 80 from a trimmed down Manu and Rohan looked fired up and trim too. First time for Sam at 15 under Alex.
Just read the Observer account of the match and it did not mention Raffi? Was the journalist in the bar all match? The lad is some talent and the contrast with Will is painful. I feel sorry for Rob DP but I can’t see him starting the next match having had a horror of a match today. What will his brothers do if he is shown the door by Sale? Congratulations to Cal Ford who finally got the nod. Good to see Tommy back but not the player who left and Langdon must feel down after England recognition. I think rotation is in order for next week. Might see Rohan, Luke, Wilkinson starting.
By stevene
thoughts from me on the game. Overall Bath were woeful in the first half. However the game changed at two points a) Quirke getting injured when we scored our 2nd try b) their replacement loosehead came on. On the first point that changed as Bath were able to flood the midfield more defensively due to the lack of threat round the fringe and the pace of Raffi's service. Wilf was his usual serviceable self but it changed our attacking dynamic massively. On the replacement loosehead for Bath we lost the scrum dominance we had in the first half. I thought illegally as he packed down at 45 degrees and didnt even appear to even hit at engaging and scrummaging straight from what I could see.

RDP has a game to forget on the key moments. I actually thought his play with Raffi was fine (other than the overthrown pass to Yarde which butchered a try) but as a 10 he butchered pretty much every key moment. Great bit of skill to break through at the end but then it was a bar of soap. As for the missed kick in front of the posts (ouch....). He looked as if his shoulder popped out and back in on the dropped ball at the end.

Quick word about Ridley. No complaints over the Hammersley YC as he was on the wrong side and Bath could/would have probably scored with quick ball. However can someone explain the difference between that and the penalty we got earlier the first half (Raffi quick tap) whereby we were 2 metres from their line, we wanted quick ball and their player was caught on the wrong side? As for the Ojomoh deliberate knock on how was that not a YC? Sale had a clear overlap, he goes one handed and deflects the ball with his fingertips. I get he didnt bat it down but surely the deliberate knock on of that nature spoiled an overlap for Sale it has to be a YC doesnt it? Its a bit like RDP, Ridley got a lot of things right but on the big calls to get 1 out of 3 isnt a good day at the office for me.

Overall that should have been a bonus point win for Sale. we butchered 3 or potentially 4 tries (JPDP knock on over the line, RDP knock on over the line, knock on near the line in the first half, RDP pass into touch with support inside and limited bath defence). Equally RDP missed another 6 points from relatively easy kicks.

Until we get more of our SA contingent back (and TC) then I hope Quirke and Ben arent too badly injured (not optimistic). also looked liked Schonert was concussed. could be a challenge against better teams than Bath were yesterday.

On a positive note what a talent Raffi Quirke is.....
By Clutch
Re the knock on. Perhaps there’s a chance of interpretation we don’t know about. Will have to hear the comms back. I didn’t feel any specific Bath pen warranted a card but they were so cynical, esp first half and not so much of a warning.
By ejndavid95
Alex wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:25 pm
On Raffi think he should be ok, was walking round the ground at the end and said it wasn't too bad and he should be ok for next week
Someone I know spoke to him post-game & he said it was a hyper extension and precautionary. Unaware of the usual timescales for that but expect he ought to be okay for next week.
Alex liked this
By FarnhamShark
Re Ridley - I was amazed that he allowed the restart after our second try when Raffi was still receiving treatment (and eventually going off) deep in the Bath half. Surely he should have checked on him, and waited for the replacement? It meant we were defending the Bath restart a man short.
By Flumpty
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:41 pm
Re Ridley - I was amazed that he allowed the restart after our second try when Raffi was still receiving treatment (and eventually going off) deep in the Bath half. Surely he should have checked on him, and waited for the replacement? It meant we were defending the Bath restart a man short.
Maybe we hadn't notified the reffing group that we wanted to bring on a sub ?
By FarnhamShark
Shouldn't the ref have noticed he was still receiving treatment (the injury was 2 or 3 minutes previously) and checked?
By Thekeg
Flumpty wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:46 pm
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:41 pm
Maybe we hadn't notified the reffing group that we wanted to bring on a sub ?
Had we decided by then?
By Flumpty
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:51 pm
Shouldn't the ref have noticed he was still receiving treatment (the injury was 2 or 3 minutes previously) and checked?
PRESUMABLY he would have been notified/asked if he could leave the pitch - then as long as he wasn't affecting play, it wouldn't have been an issue.
At the time, I asked Flumpty Jnr ih he thought that we'd play with a player short for a couple of minutes, in the hope that we could fettle his knee at half time ?
By Olyy
Have read that Rob's shoulder is pretty bad - hopefully AJ is back next game (someone said they saw him in the stands this week, so I'm guessing he just didn't play as he got back from America too late?) otherwise we'll need to recall Curtis from Coventry (saw on Twitter he had a good game for them on the weekend)
By Centrethreequarter
AJ played a full part in the warm upon Saturday and then did extra (sprint?) training before KO.

I don't know if he is having to rest following his International games?
By Olyy
Definitely possible - though they might have just given Wilkinson the nod because AJ has been out of camp for the past however many weeks

Or maybe Covid related reasons (maybe you need to have been tested X days before, by the PRL testing people, and he arrived back from America too late for that)
Centrethreequarter liked this
By Thekeg
Olyy wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:08 am
Have read that Rob's shoulder is pretty bad - hopefully AJ is back next game (someone said they saw him in the stands this week, so I'm guessing he just didn't play as he got back from America too late?) otherwise we'll need to recall Curtis from Coventry (saw on Twitter he had a good game for them on the weekend)
Where is that coming from re RDP? It didn’t look great at the time. We could go with Sam James covering 10 with Wilkinson starting but that leaves us short of a goal kicker with no Faf either if Wilkinson goes off
By Surbiton_Shark
Thekeg wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:23 am
Olyy wrote:
Where is that coming from re RDP? It didn’t look great at the time. We could go with Sam James covering 10 with Wilkinson starting but that leaves us short of a goal kicker with no Faf either if Wilkinson goes off
Cliff can kick if push comes to shove
By Olyy
Thekeg wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:23 am
Olyy wrote:
Where is that coming from re RDP?
Someone on social media - not seen any mention of it anywhere else though, so might just be guessing based on how uncomfortable he looked after the knock
By 45jumper
Wilkinson should start the next game regardless of whether RDP is fit or not.
The latter is just too flaky, his kicking is all over the place and he's prone to poor passing and decision-making with the ball. When he's hot, he's great, but when he's off it the drop-off is just too big.
By Clutch
Didn’t look like a man playing next week. Shame cause he would have started as Sanderson likes players to go out and make amends.
Surely Rafi can kick. He can do everything else!!
By ageinghoody
I know time-scales have been a bit confusing over the last eighteen months, but it doesn't seem too long ago that we were reading on here that RDP was the future and AJ should be on his way.

AJ was given time to turn things round and he seized the opportunity in spectacular fashion.

Frankly I just can't be bothered to hunt back to see just who was clamouring for AJ to be released. Whatever, those earlier judgements were clearly premature, and the current ones look that way too. Surely Rob deserves the same consideration that AJ was allowed.
chris1850 liked this
By Olyy
I've always been AJ's No.1 Fan, if he's fit and available he starts for me 10/10 times
By Van Cannonball
I believe my review suggested ultimately little between AJ and RdP, and that both had their obvious strengths and limitations, and so maybe we needed Wilkinson to come in as potential best of both worlds. Far too early to know that yet of course.

Since then AJ hit his best run of form by a mile and Rob had somewhat of a crisis. Based on last season you’d have to be crazy not to have AJ as clear first choice. We do still struggle for tries (although I’m more accepting of that being a wider backs issue and not just the 10) and he does get injured a lot. Rob has been more robust but presumably injured now anyway.

Next week will be interesting!
Covid Repayments

Quite a few million in a decent savings account wo[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

WillGriff John still without a club?

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Blame-casting - love it!

Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]