By StalyShark
Looks as though all of the Six Nations players will be away for the weekend as Byron is in Scotland camp. So that leaves us also down Tom and WillGriff, do not too for bad for absentees considering. Exeter also haven’t been hit too hard with likes of Hogg, LCD, Williams and Devoto called up.
It’ll take a miracle or going back to 2014 for us to get much I think but here’s my team prediction:

Oostuizen
Akker
JCW
Evans
JLDP
Ross
B Curry
DDP
Cliff
RDP
Ashton
Rohan
S James
Solomona (if fit)
L James

Webber
Harrison
Jones
Phillips
Postlethwaite
Warr
Redpath
Yarde

Notable not available:
Listed at top
Hammersley (ill)
Wilson
Lood
Faf
AJ
By Olyy
My only change would be Philips starting and JLdP on the bench (though I think that's unlikely). We always look much better with two locks on the pitch and Philips adds a lot to our scrum and maul.
By Van Cannonball
I pretty much agree with your team, although really hope Faf plays. I think Exeter are in a worse place than you mention as on top of call ups they’ve also lost Slade and Nowell to injury.

One advantage Exeter pretty much always have over us is that their rotated squad is better rested than ours. As that’s not the case this time I think we have a much better chance of winning.

I’ve added mins played over the last 2 games to illustrate:
StalyShark wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Oostuizen (0)
Akker (0)
JCW (127)
Evans (0)
JLDP (71)
Ross (59)
B Curry (50)
DDP (68)
Cliff (133) Or Faf (0)
RDP (0)
Ashton (42)
Rohan (0)
S James (80)
Solomona (59)
L James (160) or Hammersley (0)
By IOL Shark
Dimes stated recently that Wilson, Faff and Hammersley would all be available for this game. Lood next week v Sarries.
By Basilbullneck
Factor Faf into that team and we have a very strong team. I would have thought we should be travelling with real hope.

Exeter are without both of their first choice hookers also, with LCD with England and Yeandle injured, as well as both of their first choice tightheads; Skinner is just back from injury. On top of that we narrowly lost to them at home in the ERC when we should have won, and we were pretty level away until the teams were taken off due to the hailstorm.

If we can concentrate for 80 minutes and in particular start well, then I think we should have a very good chance of turning them over.
By Basilbullneck
As a side issue I was interested to see, in these days of salary cap breaches, that Exeter manage a squad of 63 players on their website. That's a big pool of players.
By Olyy
IOL Shark wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:06 pm
Dimes stated recently that Wilson, Faff and Hammersley would all be available for this game. Lood next week v Sarries.
With this in mind, I'd go:

Oosthuizen, Akker, JCW
Evans, Philips,
Ross, Curry, du Preez
Faf, du Preez,
Ashton, Rohan, S.James, Solomona,
Hammersley

Webber, Harrison, Jones, du Preez, Wilson, Cliff, L. James, Yarde

However I'd expect Dimes to have du Preez and Philips the other way round.
Though Ashton and Solomona both play right wing don't they? Might be that they go for 11. Yarde, 14. Solomona, 15. Ashton, 23. Hammersley
Last edited by Olyy on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Van Cannonball
I think we’ll likely have Wilson on bench for Exeter and starting in the cup, Lood on bench for cup and competing to start against Sarries in league.
By Elgar
Olyy wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:07 pm
IOL Shark wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:06 pm
With this in mind, I'd go:

Oosthuizen, Akker, JCW
Evans, Philips,
Ross, Curry, du Preez
Faf, du Preez,
Ashton, Rohan, S.James, Solomona,
Hammersley

Webber, Harrison, Jones, du Preez, Wilson, Cliff, L. James, Yarde

However I'd expect Dimes to have du Preez and Philips the other way round.
Though Ashton and Solomona both play right wing don't they? Might be that they go for 11. Yarde, 14. Solomona, 15. Ashton, 23. Hammersley

Would go with that lineup too, except would swap Luke James with the Hammer. (And would actually be quite tempted to have Williams on the bench over the Hammer).

I'm sure I've seen Ashton regularly play 11. Either way, I'm fairly sure that if you can play wing or fullback, you can equally play 11 or 14.

Got a good feeling about this one. Can realistically see Sale edging it.
By Monty9
Elgar wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Got a good feeling about this one. Can realistically see Sale edging it.

So can I, looking forward to it.

Joe Simmonds also potentially missing for Exeter, cited for a dangerous tackle at the weekend.
By Van Cannonball
Denny has played left wing on occasions when lining up with Ashton, but I’d much prefer them Denny on right and Ashton on left. Ashton seems more flexible whereas Denny looks uncomfortable on the left wing.
Olyy liked this
By Olyy
Monty9 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:24 pm
Joe Simmonds also potentially missing for Exeter, cited for a dangerous tackle at the weekend.
If that's the case I lean more towards L.James at 15 and Hammersley on the bench - my only question about L.James at 15 atm is what is he like under the high ball/facing a side with a strong kicking game?
Away at Chiefs maybe not the best place to find that out.
By Rich E
The back three combination is a really interesting one at the moment - even with Byron away with Scotland. I thought Marland had his best game back, IMHO I thought he looked the sharpest he has done since his injury and was looking for work. Denny equally looked fit and hungry, at last no leg strapping (just hope his break down the wing leading to our try didn't aggravate anything).
Hammersley is by far our "safest" full back.
At SP I'd go for Denny, Chris and Hammersley (if fit). If Hammersley isn't fit I'd go Marland. Denny and Chris....
By chris1850
Rich E wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:25 pm
The back three combination is a really interesting one at the moment - even with Byron away with Scotland. I thought Marland had his best game back, IMHO I thought he looked the sharpest he has done since his injury and was looking for work. Denny equally looked fit and hungry, at last no leg strapping (just hope his break down the wing leading to our try didn't aggravate anything).
Hammersley is by far our "safest" full back.
At SP I'd go for Denny, Chris and Hammersley (if fit). If Hammersley isn't fit I'd go Marland. Denny and Chris....
I agree that Marland had his best game back against Glasgow which is encouraging. I still get nervous about him defensively though.

Hammersley has looked very good in defence all season, but doesnt give us too much going forward

On the other hand, Luke James had probably his best game in a Sale shirt at FB against Quins, defensively sound and a threat with the ball. I think his positioning and lines in attack are more in tune with the rest of the backs (when they get it right!). So I would go with Ashton, Denny and Luke
By Clutch
Not sure Hammersley is that good defensively. He’s better positionally and under the high ball but his one on one tackling is very poor and his lack of pace is an issue.
Still think Ashton is the best all round bet at 15 but still not sure Yarde is ready away at Chiefs. Agree he’s looking better though. All in all I’d go Hammersley I think but don’t mind either way.

Don’t get the optimism. Yes Chiefs are weak but they are still v difficult to beat and really playing well. Another away BP would be great and a further step in the right direction.
By Rich E
So, Hammersley has taken a hammering (apologies for the pun) on this forum but his high ball defence is second to none, and his general gamesmanship and nous is better than anything we have......as much as we'd love an attacking 15 we sometimes need a level of pragmatism which he offers.
IMHO Luke is a centre.
Hopefully we can secure a point or four but more importantly set ourselves up for dominant performances for the remainder of the year
By Van Cannonball
I’d say the issue is he’s often not fast enough to get in place to make the tackle, same as Sam J when he played there. Ashton is the opposite in that his pace allows some great cover tackles.

From what’s available I’d go Denny, Ashton on the wing and Luke full back with Hammers on the bench (partly as he’s returning from injury).
By Olyy
Van Cannonball wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:41 pm
I’d say the issue is he’s often not fast enough to get in place to make the tackle, same as Sam J when he played there. Ashton is the opposite in that his pace allows some great cover tackles.
Similar to Alex Goode in that regard - and the reason why Goode was so bad for England, whereas Sarries defensive structures have that in mind (helps that most of their wingers are also 15s)
By hirdyshark
Hutchinson starting for Saints tommorow night, suggests we might get Horse back? And maybe WGJ? Also means Exeter might get Hogg back...
By Van Cannonball
Biggar not playing though so don’t think it’s a case that all Scots and Welsh available.

Hopefully it’s only those likely not involved in first game that are released, as I think Hogg was the difference in the Euro home game. When he went off they looked much more limited in attack.
By wrinklieshark
and Exeter...

15 Phil Dollman
14 Tom O’Flaherty
13 Ian Whitten
12 Sam Hill
11 Olly Woodburn
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Stuart Townsend
1 Ben Moon
2 Elvis Taione
3 Enrique Pieretto
4 Dave Dennis (capt)
5 Jonny Hill
6 Dave Ewers
7 Jacques Vermeulen
8 Sam Simmonds

16 Jordon Poole
17 Alec Hepburn
18 Marcus Street
19 Sam Skinner
20 Matt Kvesic
21 Jack Maunder
22 Harvey Skinner
23 Tom Hendrickson
By chris1850
Thats pretty much as strong as we could field, as presumably Faf and Denny are injured. I would perhaps have liked LJ to start again at FB but I am happy enough with Hammersley.

It is really good to have the front row options we now have, as you could pretty well interchange any of them and it would still be a first choice team, bearing in mind the various qualities of different oppositions
By StalyShark
Looking at the two teams we might, just might have a chance tomorrow 🤞! Here’s hoping.
By AndaleManito
Happy with the team but would prefer to start Akker! This is probably the best chance to beat them at home that we've had in a while
By chris1850
I guess Akker is on the bench because they really attacked our LO in both previous matches
By Clutch
Need some rotation, and Akker has been injured. he's some impact player though!

No Faf, so can't see us winning. Would be delighted with a BP.
By SSR
I am travelleling down to Exeter tomorrow, so hoping for the best. Taking a relative to his first Prem match. Faf missing is a blow but not surprised that he is missing. I had also hoped to see Mark Wilson in the 23. I thought Dimes had mentioned his availability for this game ? Will Mark ever wear a Sale shirt before he goes back to the Falcons? Canny bit of business they did there. Anyway, fingers crossed and just hope that the match is not ruined by a stupid early card ( or two ) and no intercept tries given away. At worst I hope for a good match and no major injuries.
By Surbiton_Shark
Akker out having failed a fitness test. Langdon replaces his on the bench - hopefully he will score his usual try!
By Clutch
Is Anyone watching. Unibet has all games bar ours for some reason why is the streaming selective
By Litzy Cole
Trying to watch on Unibet site, but can't see the stream. Can anyone else see it?
By Litzy Cole
I think we posted at same time there!
By Litzy Cole
no, it's me, I can see you posted before me.
By Olyy
I'm watching on viprow [DOT] net

Rohan very unlucky to get carded there - Shoulder to shoulder, but yellowed for a "reckless challenge" because of an accidental headclash.
Can't help but feel JP felt a little pressured into giving a card because he'd stopped the game/gone to the TMO/the crowd were braying. Thank God it wasn't a red, though.
By StalyShark
Yes! Yes! Yes! DdP scores with conversion from a lovely lineout move now a Byron length of the field interception!
By Alex
Well I would have taken this at half time... still have a sense of dread that we'll contrive to cock it up
By Clutch
Negative.

We aren’t very well drilled close to the line.

Positives. Everything else. Twins causing chaos. Cliff generating quick ball and heavily involved in 2 tries.

I really hope Chiefs don’t win anything. Their cheating floppy pick and go tactics do my nut in.
By Clutch
Olly is right. It’s the continual accurate offloading led by the twins. We just revert to type close to the line. Don’t get why we took the scrums earlier on rather than taking lineout.

Set piece dominant as well. The only against us was nonsense. Ironically their last lineout was miles off straight. Doesn’t get given, and we score from the intercept.
By Olyy
Watching the du Preez twins hit rucks it's almost unfair - Jean-Luc just cleared three players completely out of the ruck with one motion
By Olyy
Gotta be some sort of record for holding people up over the line, here
By Olyy
Replacement scrum is getting battered - I would've said that was our best prop and lock combo as well!
By chris1850
Olly. Please keep the updates coming! On a coach in Austria at the moment and can't bear the tension!!
21/04/24 Sale 37 Quins 31 (GP)

FYI, the Quins winger isn’t Scrooge’[…]

Falcons

Raffi, George and Manu on a plastic pitch will hav[…]

Congratulations Morwenna

Starting for the Slam decider. Keeping Abbie Ward […]

Derbyshire