By chris1850
In London this weekend and whilst the War Office was otherwise engaged, I took myself off to Reading to watch LI v Wasps in anticipation of next week's game.

Irish had the better of the first half with Wasps only coming back into the game with a try on HT. Second half and Wasps gradually took control as their forwards got on top and were deserved winners in the end.

For Wasps, TT had a mare at the lineout with LI stealing several. Difficult to say how much of that was due to a disfunctioning Wasps LO or an excellent defensive LO from Irish. Probably a bit of both. Also, Watson was a liability at FB and looked much better when he moved to the wing. Robson was probably MOTM but Umaga had a fine game at FH as well. Of the forwards, the back row all had good games with Willis outstanding. Good to see Doggy have a couple of strong runs though they were mostly lateral.

For Irish, SH Meehan played well, though he is a gobby little so and so - it was a mystery why he was subbed because Phipps was an inadequate replacement. Their backs looked keen and fast when they got quick ball and both wingers Loader and Hassell-collins are obvious threats ball in hand. I was surprised however how their pack was overwhelmed in the second half. Wasps pack isn't bad but I wouldn't take any their 8 that started today, or the replacements that came on for any of our pack or replacements.

From what I saw today I would expect us to dominate Irish up front next week. Their scrum was creaking badly towards the end and Wasps were on top at the breakdown more often than not. If we can replicate, and exceed that then hopefully our backs will play with front foot ball. We should then have enough to get the win.

Couple of other points. The Madejski is a nice modern stadium with good transport links. I gather the crowd today was only around 5k however and so the atmosphere was non existent. Speaking to a number of LI supporters, they can't wait for the move to Brentford and I hope it works out for them.

Finally, I wish clubs would either ban drums or issue guidelines for their use. There were 3 there today whose sole purpose was to try and distract the opposition. Every high ball was greeted with a drum roll. Every LO throw by Wasps was accompanied by dramatic drumming. It is pathetic and as disrespectful as booing the kicker. It was exactly the same, if not worse, at Sarries. I am probably old fashioned but I really dislike it. I don't object to drums or other instruments where they are used to help generate chanting /singing etc but at the appropriate moments. Thankfully, our SS drummer observes this etiquette and will, I trust, continue to do so! There, got that off my chest!
Flumpty liked this
Quins game

It looks like our injury woes are viewed as an opp[…]

Blanket

Good for him, if he finds some fitness internation[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]