By eBike
Highlanders 28 - Chiefs 27; cracking game

Blues 30 - Hurricanes 20; less so.

Very interesting to see the "new" Aotearoa guidelines being applied and the game being opened up. Early days to make a real assessment of the pros and cons but I wonder what others who watched the matches (ok, they were on Sky but that's life) felt.

Stephen Jones was very positive about the changed emphasis so that might be the kiss of death :evillaugh:
By Gray Shark
Afternoon,

I've really enjoyed these games. As a Scot I've obviously adopted the Highlanders and will continue to scratch the rugby itch for the remainder of the comp.

Lots of penalties at the breakdown but they pace of the games didn't see too affected.

Looking forward to further rugby fun as normality resumes.
By MikeGC
for non-sky folks, I’m informed that highlights are shown on S4C (if you are able to get that channel)
By eBike
Good to read that S4C has the highlights as I can get that as well. Hopefully it will allow more non-Sky fans to see the way the guidelines are being applied and the potential for faster and more open rugby free of the mind numbing cynical play at the breakdown.

Next weekend sees the possible game of the tournament as the 'Saders visit the 'Canes at the fabulously scenic Westpac in Wellington. Last year I was fortunate to be at that match when the Crusaders hammered the Hurricanes. :dance:
By MikeGC
eBike wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:07 am
Good to read that S4C has the highlights as I can get that as well. Hopefully it will allow more non-Sky fans to see the way the guidelines are being applied and the potential for faster and more open rugby free of the mind numbing cynical play at the breakdown.

Next weekend sees the possible game of the tournament as the 'Saders visit the 'Canes at the fabulously scenic Westpac in Wellington. Last year I was fortunate to be at that match when the Crusaders hammered the Hurricanes. :dance:
It’s broadcast in Welsh, so I watched with subtitles (in English)
It’s two games condensed into an hour, so very much a highlight show.
NZ still not especially keen on implementation of the laws wrt the forward pass.
But it was rugby on the telly so,......
By eBike
Oh ! This is what's occurrin' :joy:

SAT 20TH JUNE
Chiefs v Blues
Super Rugby Aotearoa, Sky Sports Main Event (07:30), Sky Sports Action (07:30)

SUN 21ST JUNE

Hurricanes v Crusaders
Super Rugby Aotearoa, Sky Sports Action (04:00)

Plus, for non Sky subscribers, S4C Sunday night, 10 pm, an hour long "highlights" show. As already mentioned it is in Welsh but has subtitles. It may also be worth trying the RED button on the remote as this has, in the past, given an English commentary for rugby matches.
By eBike
Chiefs v Blues was dire, don't bother watching it. A wet night in Hamilton

Canes v Saders was EPIC ! Well worth watching S4C if you can get it but if not the highlights are below. Do not blink during the first phase of play :dance:

Enjoy
By eBike
Down to the wire again.

Blues v Highlanders highlights from Round 3 for those without access to Sky or s4C

Big one tomorrow :joy:

Crusaders v Chiefs
By eBike
It wasn't. Terrible rain made it a bit of a grim arm wrestle. Low scoring game, a very short highlights reel. Not a game to rewatch but two of the tries are worth waiting for. That's about it really

By FarnhamShark
Don't know what was going on with the Blues vs. Highlanders highlights. The cutting from one incident to the next was so fast that I found it pretty well unwatchable. The coverage of the Crusaders game was far better - pity about the rain!
By SimonG
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:09 pm
Don't know what was going on with the Blues vs. Highlanders highlights. The cutting from one incident to the next was so fast that I found it pretty well unwatchable. The coverage of the Crusaders game was far better - pity about the rain!
Try this FS
By eBike
I watched both games "live" and posted the highlights when they became available. The Blues/Highlanders one came out almost immediately and was clearly terrible. A second version came out (properly) later and has already been posted by Simon G. :yes:

FWIW - next weekend sees the Australian version of Aotearoa join in so there will be 4 matches. 2 NZ, 2 Australian

FRI 3RD JULY
Reds v Waratahs
Super Rugby Aus, Sky Sports Action (10:00)
SAT 4TH JULY
Highlanders v Crusaders
Brumbies v Rebels
Super Rugby Aus, Sky Sports Main Event (10:10), Sky Sports Action (10:10)
SUN 5TH JULY
Chiefs v Hurricanes
Super Rugby Aotearoa, Sky Sports Main Event (04:00), Sky Sports Action (04:00)
By eBike
First of 4 this weekend, Reds v 'Tahs, a "local" derby with plenty of previous. Plenty of edge to the proceedings.

Great to see James O'Connor at 10 for the Reds. Names to watch out for in future :- Reds No 8 Harry Wilson, Reds 9 Tate McDermot (blink and you'll miss his Fafesque try) and prop Taniela Tupou.

Special mention for ref Nick Berry who was excellent

1 down, 3 to go. :joy:
By eBike
Highlanders v Crusaders. What a game !

Both teams gave it everything but the match stats tell a story of relentless pressure for the full 80 minutes.

"Highlights" don't do the full 80 any justice and the BS of an NRL advert appearing in the final explosive minutes is a disgrace. If anyone can find highlights without this crass stupidity please post them.

Ma pango ma whero :clap:
By eBike
After the Lord Mayor's show.......

Brumbies v Rebels; one sided first half, second half come back, winners pull away.

One more on Sunday and a "must win" for the Chiefs at home to the 'Canes. Could be a bit spicy
By eBike
Chiefs P3 L3, Canes in the same position. Another game of 2 halves and both of them with considerable edge. Some bone jarring tackles but worth watching for a sublime pass by Jordie Barratt and a second yellow becoming a red.

By eBike
Upcoming games

FRI 10TH JULYRebels v Reds
Not a great game in prospect but Rebels could bounce back

SAT 11TH JULY
Crusaders v Blues
'Saders P3 W3 but Blues are revitalised. Could be another cracker. Close game in prospect

Waratahs v Western Force
Super Rugby Aus, Sky Sports Action (10:10)
With Force rejoining Super Rugby this is something of an unknown

SUN 12TH JULY
Hurricanes v Highlanders
Potentially another corker but plenty to edge to the game after last weekend

Enjoy
By Elgar
As an outsider looking in, I wonder whether the quality of matches and how well attended these games are is something of a threat to the NZ teams continuing to participate in Super Rugby. They seem to be proving here that their own, smaller, internal tournament could be a better global product.
By Yareet
Elgar wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am
As an outsider looking in, I wonder whether the quality of matches and how well attended these games are is something of a threat to the NZ teams continuing to participate in Super Rugby. They seem to be proving here that their own, smaller, internal tournament could be a better global product.
Short term maybe but I can’t see a 5-team league sustaining interest for very long. It’d get somewhat repetitive ... or short.
By eBike
Rebels v Reds
First half a cure for insomnia, dreadful. Second half sparked into life after some dubious clear outs and general handbags. Second half was better but not by much.

Points of interest :- Geoff Parling in the coaches box for the Rebels, extra time golden score add-on, that's about it.

MoM ? The brilliant James O'Connor, everything good involved him. Also a mention for ex Tiger Mat To'Omua who oozed more class than he ever showed at Leicester.

Better luck tomorrow ?
By eBike
'Saders / Blues was EPIC. Physical edge from the word go, relentless pressure and counterattacks from both sides. You couldn't split the teams at any stage but the game swung on a few pivotal moments. The talent on view was simply eye watering and a shame that there had to be a loser.

MoM ? Impossible to pick just one as everyone did their job magnificently. Chapeau !

Later this morning we'll see the Western Force return to Super Rugby with a tough opener away against the 'Tahs.
By eBike
'Tahs v Force

Spoiler Alert !

Force gave the 'Tahs a bit of a hammering in the first 40 but faded in the second as the 'Tahs used their stronger player base to wear down the re-emerging Force. Not a great game, pitiful crowd, fairly mediocre rugby but good to see the Force back :joy:

Interesting one (4am) Sunday as two teams on P3 W1 face off with the "Canes hosting the Highlanders :punch:
By eBike
Indeed Major, I did wonder if there could be two props named Kieran Longbottom. He had a good day at the office and did some real damage to the 'Tahs scrum in the first half. He was also featured in the Incident of the Torn Shirt and had to donate his No3 from the bench to his replacement 18 because ref Angus Gardner felt the 18s torn shirt made binding difficult. Much commentator ribaldry as two props go topless and exchange shirts. Probably a game highlight.
By StalyShark
poyntonshark wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:19 am
SCG is 48K capacity. MCG is the big one.
My bad. Even still c.50k for Aussie super rugby is still daft. 5k capacity would make that crowd still look sparse.
By eBike
Canes v Highlanders

A wet and windy night in Wellington (not uncommon) . Not much between the teams but the Canes took their chances and edged it. Pivotal moment was an incredible try scoring pass by Jordi Barrett.
Flumpty liked this
By eBike
No worries Farnham, not everyone has Sky and/or S4C. In our desert of rugby it's just nice to see a little rugby to keep our spirits up. Where possible I watch the games "live" but for many the paucity of the highlights is a poor substitute.

FRI 17TH JULY Reds v Western Force
Force away again to a good Reds side

SAT 18TH JULY Hurricanes v Blues
Super Rugby Aotearoa , Sky Sports Main Event (07:30), Sky Sports Action (07:30)
Another mouthwatering North Island derby from the Magnificent Sky Stadium Wellington

Waratahs v Brumbies
Two good teams stuffed with current and future internationals, could be a cracker

SUN 19TH JULY
Chiefs v Highlanders
Chiefs a worrying losing run so a must win home game for them

My pick ? Canes v Blues
By eBike
Reds v Force, absolute corker.

Flat out from the word go, hammer and tongs first half. Neither team pulling away in the second and setting up a storming finish as the Reds started to struggle under relentless Force pressure.

Mentions in dispatches for James O'Connor (again) and Kieran Longbottom (again), some very canny play from Jono Lance but MoM goes to Reds tight head Taniella Toupo who was outstanding. How we all would have liked to see him sprint the length of the pitch after his amazing one handed pick up and line break. Cockle warming stuff and notice served by the Force that they aren't going to be the pushover everyone thinks they are.

ENJOY :joy:
Flumpty and 1 others liked this
By eBike
Too much pre match hype over the Jordi v Beauden match up as there were far more relevant match ups in the back lines. This seemed to give the match a niggly edge, not helped by some churlish booing of Beauden B by fans who cheered him to the rafters last season.

Otherwise a cracking game that fizzed from the kick off, sagged a little as it became a bit of a wrestle then sparked to life again in the closing stages. A grandstand finish but I still have reservations about the "winning" try.

MoM - unquestionably 'Canes 13 Laumape but both Barretts showed world class skill and composure in the spotlight.

'Tahs v Brumbies

Didn't see the whole game so nothing significant to add. Seemed a close game with loads of missed chances by both teams. A really good last 20 as the scores got a bit "squeaky". Unlike the Canes/Blues match there could be no doubt about the winning try which was fabulously fafesque :joy:

Chiefs at home to the Highlanders on Sunday. That the Chiefs need a win is an understatement of epic proportions !
By Major Bloodnok
I thought the second half of the Waratahs/Brumbies game went very flat for about 30 minutes. The missed penalty that would have put them 9 points up was crucial but, ultimately, they should have made more of their chances - 6 points was simply not a comfortable enough margin to keep trying the territory game, rather than keeping possession.
By eBike
My goodness, every Aotearoa seems to be a trial for an All Black shirt !

Another scintillating game of two halves and a jaw dropping finish. So much at stake in this match up of the also rans but equally it could have been a cup final. Plenty of edge, lots of afters and handbags but when they played rugby it was wonderful to watch. Having a soft spot for Hamilton it was a great day for a rugby match.

Tough calls to make for MoM, Frizzell was outstanding, both 9s Webber and Smith had magnificent games but for me Lochlan Boshier (Chiefs 6) was pure class. Physical, smart, always in the right place and completely tireless. Chapeau !

By poyntonshark
eBike wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:47 am
Super Rugby has always been an extended trial. I think that is why I can't get fully behind it. It produces some exciting, entertaining stuff, but at the end of the day, the tournament itself doesn't really mean anything. It's got no soul. I went to every home game in The Force's first season, I tried to get excited about my new home town team, failed miserably. I just couldn't make myself care.
ledzepsfr and 1 others liked this
By eBike
FRI 24TH JULY Rebels v Waratahs
Probably worth a watch as the Aussie teams start to find their rhythm

SAT 25TH JULY
Crusaders v Hurricanes
Super Rugby Aotearoa, Sky Sports Action (07:30)
Tasty match in prospect as the 'Canes try to make up for being spanked at home by the unbeaten Aotearoa leaders. My match of the round. Kia Kaha 'Saders !

Western Force v Brumbies
I'm warming to the Force underdogs so I'd like to see them win this one.

SUN 26TH JULY
Blues v Chiefs
Chiefs can't seem to catch a break and are without a win despite playing good rugby. Playing away at the Blues is a big ask
By SimonG
poyntonshark wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:11 am
eBike wrote:
Super Rugby has always been an extended trial. I think that is why I can't get fully behind it. It produces some exciting, entertaining stuff, but at the end of the day, the tournament itself doesn't really mean anything. It's got no soul. I went to every home game in The Force's first season, I tried to get excited about my new home town team, failed miserably. I just couldn't make myself care.
Well each to their own but to me it has far more soul than the corrupt Premiership has had for the last six seasons.
By ledzepsfr
poyntonshark wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:11 am
eBike wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Thought I would out check WF when I moved here, but no, still Brumbies for me :)
By eBike
Tahs v Rebels; pretty dull stuff, way too many handling errors from both sides, way too many penalties but blame the players not the ref, two deserved yellows for cynical play, sums things up really.

MoM - Mat To'omua who took the points on offer and controlled the game very well. Special mention to Koroibete who scored a cracking solo try. Also a good shout for ref Angus Gardner, another classy performance of excellent refereeing.

Top Tip - watch tomorrow's Crusaders/Canes match for Canes' Bokke winger Kobus Van Wyk who is Tigers bound for next season. He's quality !

By hirdyshark
Thanks for these updates eBike, much appreciated! However, don’t think van Wyk is playing tomorrow, but in saying that the game’s definitely still worth watching to see the likes of Ngani Laumape, Ardie Savea, Sevu Reece and Will Jordan go up against each other.
By eBike
Thanks Hirdy, it's just nice to have rugby to watch. I hope everyone enjoys the highlights even though they rarely last more than 5 minutes. Sadly I won't be able to see the 'Saders/'Canes game "live" on Saturday but I'll record it. I think it will be a corker.

Ma pango ma whero !!!!!

Last year I was fortunate enough to be at the Canes/Saders game in Wellington and had a fabulous night. Unforgetable.

I mentioned van Wyk as he got a lot of coverage in last week's build up and seemed very settled in NZ. Next thing I read was he was Tigers bound. Go figure as they say. He's a class finisher though and I think he may be 2nd in the Aotearoa rankings. No doubt it will be discussed in the match build up.

Enjoy the games.
By eBike
'Saders v 'Canes

What a match that was. To quote Justin Marshal "Razzle dazzle !!!!"

No point in selecting MoM, there were too many.
By eBike
Not watched the match yet, had to watch the Saders/Canes recording first. In fact, I might watch it again. It was that good.

Oh well, Blues v Chiefs tomorrow
By SimonG
eBike wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:12 pm
'Saders v 'Canes

What a match that was. To quote Justin Marshal "Razzle dazzle !!!!"

No point in selecting MoM, there were too many.
Astonishing second Crusaders try!
By eBike
80 minutes of relentless highly physical attacking rugby from both teams. The last 10 was incredible if controversial and acrimonious. No clear MoM as there were superb performances from several players. I focussed on the back rows where Papali'i and Boshier shone again, Tuipolotu led from the front as usual.

Plenty of talking points ; is Sam Cane the right choice for the All Black 7 shirt and captain, Alaimano taken out by Caleb Clark, the rise of Boshier/Papali'i, Chiefs' finishing, how good is the Aotearoa.......... on it goes.

Brilliant rugby, what a competition :joy:
By eBike
Only 3 more rounds of the Aotearoa left and the heat is on

FRI 31ST JULY Western Force v Rebels
Please can the Force get a break ! Also ex Sale player Keiran Longbottom got a good mention in the weekend's The West Australian.

SAT 1ST AUGUSTChiefs v Crusaders
Super Rugby Aotearoa, Sky Sports Action (07:30)
Saders will be smarting after having their amazing home record broken but the Chiefs aren't anywhere near as bad as their no win run suggests. Spicy game anticipated as injuries continue to mount for the table topping Saders

Brumbies v Reds
Brumbies to edge the Rebels but none of the Oz teams have been consistent performers

SUN 2ND AUGUST
Highlanders v Blues
Super Rugby Aotearoa, Sky Sports Action (04:00)
This could be a belter as the Blues continue to push up the table and the 'Landers try to regroup after this weekends PR disaster in Queenstown.

Game on !
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]