By Olyy
Very interested in seeing Harper play,
and hopefully Doherty gets some good ball to work with
Good to see Neild at 7

Mass changes haven't worked well in the past for us, though - not feeling very confident

Harsh on Quirke to drop out of the 23,
Would like to see Ashman back as well
Last edited by Olyy on Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Flumpty
& for the Cockney Bog Trotters

London Irish:
15 James Stokes, 14 Ben Loader, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Theo Brophy Clews, 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Ben Meehan, 1 Will Goodrick-Clarke, 2 Agustin Creevy, 3 Lovejoy Chawatama, 4 Steve Mafi, 5 Rob Simmons, 6 Matt Rogerson (c), 7 Ben Donnell, 8 Albert Tuisue

Replacements:
16 Matt Cornish, 17 Facundo Gigena, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 George Nott, 20 Blair Cowan, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Will Joseph, 23 Tom Parton
By Lord Elpus
I don't really like that much (cue bp win lol) . Of course we don't know who's unavailable through injury - surprised Quirke doesn't feature anywhere.
By Streatham Shark
Very surprised at Quirke's absence, I'd have started him after last week. Also surprised that Wiese doesn't feature at all, as if anyone was rotated for this week i'd have thought it would be Lood who looked spent at the end of last week.

That looks better balanced than last week, particularly in the back row, and I much prefer our pack with Beaumont starting. Glad to see Rodd back in too, though think Ashman is unlucky to not feature at all, assuming he's not injured.
By Surbiton_Shark
Does anyone have a brief bio on Harper? Assume he's a forward :-)

Forward pack looks fine -would have had Akker on the bench personally or Ashman assuming he's not injured - also like watching Neild.

As for the backs.....without Rohan and if Faf kicks everything I'm not sure it really matters as they just chase kicks.
By RugbyMarvel
Initial thoughts are
- Akker needs a big game
- Need to use Doherty in outside channels and not just ask him to run into Brophy Clews
- Irish will get it wide a lot and if we can defend hard then try and play on the counter, we have a bit more pace so might be able to work it well.
By Jb-280151
What about a backline of Gourley Roebuck L James Doherty Reed Wilkinson Quirke. Replacements Tom Curtis and Joe Carpenter. Pity we let Paulo leave.
By Elgar
Not what I'd have predicted but no real complaints.

I'd have quibbled Quirke if it weren't for him being with England U20s (with thanks to posters on here informing of that).

Better balance in the backrow, pace in the backline from Reed and Doherty.

Didn't realise Doherty could operate at 12, thought he was only 13 and back three. Very happy to see him given the chance to make the 12 shirt his own, if only in the absence of Manu and RVJR, by bringing a different threat to those two.
By poyntonshark
Like the look of the pack and the potential of the backs. Hope the new combinations don't screw us up as much as the last go at rotation. So far as attack goes, I fear @Surbiton_Shark may be right ( that is how we have played all season after all).

How long have we been naming 2 captains? Is this the first?
By Olyy
chris1850 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:21 pm
Watching Falcons v Wasps. Falcons play our game so much better than we are playing it currently
Hopefully we've not been watching Mateo Carreras too closely :yikes:
Most blatant eye gouge since Burger vs B&I Lions
By chris1850
chris1850 wrote:
Watching Falcons v Wasps. Falcons play our game so much better than we are playing it currently
Well, for the first half at least!!
By Van Cannonball
Olyy wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:34 pm
chris1850 wrote:
Hopefully we've not been watching Mateo Carreras too closely :yikes:
Most blatant eye gouge since Burger vs B&I Lions
Think he must be looking at a 6 month ban.
By stevene
dont disagree with the changes:

Doherty for Hill gives Connor more of a chance and Hill isnt exactly ripping up trees
RDP for AJM should move the backline more
Neild at 7, Jono at 6 and JLDP at 8 gives the backrow more balance
Rodd at 1 gives us another player good over the ball in the absence of a Curry
Josh and LDJ in the second row gives Akker his best options at the lineout.

would have liked Luke back at 15 and one of our other options (yarde, solomona) over reed. equally/ conversely its a lot of changes again which is a worry.

Lots of questions. JCW seems to have gone missing? solomona had one game back and seems to be off the radar again? yarde out for 2 weeks in a row? DDP rested, dropped or injured? when are we getting Ben C and Rohan back? we definitely need them.
By Lord Elpus
Without injury updates we have no idea who's available - even the Quirke & Roebuck absences weren't commented on in the "Press Notes".

The big fella seems to have gone off the radar too - surely he's big enough to see with the naked eye.
By hirdyshark
JCW mentioned in comms a couple of weeks ago that he'd recently undergone knee surgery. Think they said Ben C back at the start of April?
By Van Cannonball
Yes Yarde suggested he wouldn’t be out long.

From Denny’s lack of speed against Quins it doesn’t surprise me he’s not featured again.

Big question for me is how does Doherty play at 12. I’ve not seen him there before either.

If Hill isn’t available or giving someone else a go then a little surprised it’s not RdP at 12, but I hope Doherty goes well and we should definitely be trying to get him some game time.

Hope Harper is as ready as Rodd was.
By Olyy
Doherty must have gotten plenty of time at 12 in training (or maybe at youth level?) otherwise S.James would surely be at 12 with Doherty in his natural position of 13
By stevene
not sure a centre/fly half combo of RDP/AJM will work. RDP at 15 would work but to me we should be be picking Luke there every week. we simply need Rohan back. Doherty looks like a decent prospect to me so lets see how he goes.
By Surbiton_Shark
Whilst we are in a period of mourning over our back play- Quins already have a BP against a very defunct Glouc side. Our lack of 4 try BP 's hopefully won't come back to bite us
By FarnhamShark
Grubbers are fine - we desperately need a bit of variety in the backs. He just needs to get the timing and placing right.
By Lord Elpus
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:14 pm
Grubbers are fine - we desperately need a bit of variety in the backs. He just needs to get the timing and placing right.
A bobbling rugby ball is harder to deal with in most conditions than a box kick. For a start you can't leap and catch it.
By Olyy
Playing well so far
Doherty bigger than I remembered - and good hands too, maybe he could have a future at 12
By Elgar
Doherty's pulled back passes to RDP are finally catching our attack up with what the rest of the league have been doing for the last 2 or 3 years. Good stuff.
By StalyShark
Was about to say Lood could be knackered afte weeks on weeks and those pens, then he scores the try. Best not to think.

Seems we should focus on a left footer if Sam […]

Glory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJoujuiqGSo

Hybrid contracts

Bevan Rodd Ah, of course! I genuinely couldn't[…]

28/04/24 Newcastle 14 Sale 35 (GP)

Three down, two to go... https://anoldgreydog.uk/[…]