Yep. Wasn’t really counting him to be fair as hes established in the first team squad. If it’s a case of losing Nield and keeping Dugdale I’m ok with that.
But if we lose Ross we will need to sign someone.
There have been several of these but as things stand, this is the kind of squad I'm predicting for next season if the O'Flaherty rumour is true.
I'm fairly certain Lood is leaving, and I suspect Coenie and Akker will too. Ross is a bit of a tossup for me, if he left it'd free up JLDP to play at 6, his best position, but we'd need another lock. Coenie is replaced by Harper's return from injury, and unfortunately it just hasn't happened for Hill, Doherty a more than able replacement. Faf is the big one but I think he might go. I believe McIntyre is also out of contract but I'd keep him for another year if possible.
LH - Rodd, Harrison, McIntyre, Carlile
HK - Langdon, Ashman, Taylor, Caine
TH - Schonert, Harper, Jones, Ford
LK - Wiese, Hill, Beaumont, Poss, Birch
6 - JLDP, Neild
7 - Curry, Curry
8 - DDP, Dugdale
SH - Quirke, Warr, Cliff, Thomas
FH - Ford, Wilkinson, Curtis
CE - Van Rensburg, SJames, Tuilagi, RDP, Doherty
WG - Reed, Roebuck, O'Flaherty, McGuigan, Metcalf
FB - LJames, Hammersley, Carpenter

On paper it isn't as strong as this season's squad, but with the reduction it's somewhat inevitable. If the above squad is correct we definitely need another lock, especially as JLDP doesn't enjoy second row. Dugdale has been a revelation for me, love his attitude to the game and is an invaluable squad member, but if the twins get called up for SA then all of a sudden our backrow stocks look very short, even with the likes of Wiese & Beaumont able to fill in. I'd also be minded to ease Cliff out of the door and bring in a younger replacement, but I doubt that'll happen. If the coaches think Thomas is capable of the odd game off the bench here and there, maybe we'll muddle through without a new signing.

30/37 senior players EQP as well! :clap:
45jumper wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:25 pm
There have been several of these but as things stand, this is the kind of squad I'm predicting for next season if the O'Flaherty rumour is true.
I'm fairly certain Lood is leaving, and I suspect Coenie and Akker will too. Ross is a bit of a tossup for me, if he left it'd free up JLDP to play at 6, his best position, but we'd need another lock. Coenie is replaced by Harper's return from injury, and unfortunately it just hasn't happened for Hill, Doherty a more than able replacement. Faf is the big one but I think he might go. I believe McIntyre is also out of contract but I'd keep him for another year if possible.
LH - Rodd, Harrison, McIntyre, Carlile
HK - Langdon, Ashman, Taylor, Caine
TH - Schonert, Harper, Jones, Ford
LK - Wiese, Hill, Beaumont, Poss, Birch
6 - JLDP, Neild
7 - Curry, Curry
8 - DDP, Dugdale
SH - Quirke, Warr, Cliff, Thomas
FH - Ford, Wilkinson, Curtis
CE - Van Rensburg, SJames, Tuilagi, RDP, Doherty
WG - Reed, Roebuck, O'Flaherty, McGuigan, Metcalf
FB - LJames, Hammersley, Carpenter

On paper it isn't as strong as this season's squad, but with the reduction it's somewhat inevitable. If the above squad is correct we definitely need another lock, especially as JLDP doesn't enjoy second row. Dugdale has been a revelation for me, love his attitude to the game and is an invaluable squad member, but if the twins get called up for SA then all of a sudden our backrow stocks look very short, even with the likes of Wiese & Beaumont able to fill in. I'd also be minded to ease Cliff out of the door and bring in a younger replacement, but I doubt that'll happen. If the coaches think Thomas is capable of the odd game off the bench here and there, maybe we'll muddle through without a new signing.

30/37 senior players EQP as well! :clap:
Really solid squad there. Likewise it would be a shame if Jono left, but I believe it would benefit our pack with JL at 6, or even double Curry with a DP at 8. Dugdale and Neild have shown great potential too and are young.

Anyone believe this Dom Barrow rumour?? Interesting one and certainly helps re stock our second row should Lood and Philips leave. 2nd row is the most worrying position for me with JPDP definitely off and Josh still so susceptible to injuries.
Barrow rumour was a while back now, feel like if he was going to join he would've at the time of the trial rather than the following season

If Beaumont comes back, and finds form, then
Beaumont/Hill
JL/Curry/DDP

Is a very very fine back 5 of the scrum - unfortunately we can't really rely on his continued fitness, going off of the past few years, so if we did lose Ross I imagine we would need to recruit a lock (or 6)
Last edited by Olyy on Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Would imagine the Dom Barrow thing is still in the balance. Didn't he only start training with us two weeks ago? Can't imagine it would be even safe for him to go into a matchday squad for at least another three or four weeks (don't think he's played for 2 years or more now?) and even at that point it should probably be for Sale FC for 2 or 3 games before Prem level.
45jumper liked this
Olyy wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:37 pm
Barrow rumour was a while back now, feel like if he was going to join he would've at the time of the trial rather than the following season

If Beaumont comes back, and finds form, then
Beaumont/Hill
JL/Curry/DDP

Is a very very fine back 5 of the scrum - unfortunately we can't really rely on his continued fitness, going off of the past few years, so if we did lose Ross I imagine we would need to recruit a lock (or 6)
Issue here is your starting second rows have a habit of being absent for over half of the season on international duty or due to injury. Great when both fit and playing though.

JL and Cobus are not bred as second rows either, while Pos and Birch are still finding their feet. Another experienced head in that engine room would be great.
Forgot about the Dom Barrow trial, he'd be an ideal depth signing in some ways - a local lad with plenty of experience and more of an 'enforcer' than some of our other locks.
If he can get back to his pre-retirement ways then I'm all for it :clap:
RinTin liked this
TigsMan wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:42 pm
Is Sale supporters definition of local lad = Lad with a northern accent?
Born Sheffield and was in the Leeds academy
Sale is his most 'local' club. Approx 40 miles from Sheffield. Leicester around 70 miles away from Sheffield and even further from Leeds.

Sale about 55 miles from Leeds. Newcastle next nearest which is about 100 miles away.
Apparently Scott Baldwin has left Worcester on compassionate grounds. Serious family illness which is very sad. Wish him well in what he has to deal with.

Going forward though, I wonder how Dimes may choose to cover his absence.......
Cobus looks more like a 6 than a lock, although I really like him regardless of the number on his back. If Dom Barrow works out, then that's great. Alternatively, Rouban Birch could well bulk up a bit. If not, I'd like to see another lock brought in.
chris1850 wrote:
TigsMan wrote:
Sale is his most 'local' club. Approx 40 miles from Sheffield. Leicester around 70 miles away from Sheffield and even further from Leeds.

Sale about 55 miles from Leeds. Newcastle next nearest which is about 100 miles away.
Sheffield to Manchester is 38 miles away around 1 hour and 30 to get too
Sheffield to Leeds is about 37 miles and 1 hour to get too.

Sheffield clubs play in the Yorkshire league for a reason.
TigsMan wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:28 pm
chris1850 wrote:
TigsMan wrote:

Glossop 15 miles from Manchester, is part of the Leicester Tigers DPP programme 85 miles away ***

*** or was the last time I spoke to someone from Glossop !
Last edited by Flumpty on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigsMan wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:28 pm
chris1850 wrote:
TigsMan wrote:

Presumably because Sheffield is in South Yorkshire?
The point is that his nearest or 'local' Premiership club is Sale, regardless of how you want to view the geography or which city you feel he is based in.
By Jalyn Mills
No one else concerned about that front row depth? Even the starting front row is no good if it is being marched backwards at every scrum. Tight-head in particular looks a problem.

I think we have seen more than any other team that a big old strong back 5 in the pack is not worth much if the front three are dominated.

There is a reason that props are so well paid.
Row Z wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:34 am
No one else concerned about that front row depth?
Yes

We have good starters (Rodd and Schonert) but behind them is... questionable
Ross H probably had his best game in a while vs Tigers (in that he mostly held his own against Cole) but generally hasn't looked great recently
Not really seen enough of McIntyre to know where he's at

Tighthead is the biggest worry though

Hopefully Harper is back from injury by the end of the season and we can see where he's at - bit concerning he's had a season long injury at such a young age, though
Oosthuizen isn't upto scratch, and while I do like Jones he's a squad player if we've top 4 ambitions
I am not a scrum expert, so happy to be coorected on this but it seems to me that
most of our scrum problems involve penalties against the front row for two issues.
Collapsing and driving not straight.
Some of this is down to Ref interpretations of actually who is at fault ie he is being
conned and some due to reutation of those involved.
Being marched backwards is usually due to lack of grunt behind the props.
There seems to be two choices for the scrum.
One is being utterly dominant and powering forward on every scrum.
Second is being just solid, no movement, no collapsing.
The second sounds OK if you are favouring the loose play and want to get onside with the ref.
Not sure what we are aiming at.
Row Z wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:34 am
No one else concerned about that front row depth? Even the starting front row is no good if it is being marched backwards at every scrum. Tight-head in particular looks a problem.

I think we have seen more than any other team that a big old strong back 5 in the pack is not worth much if the front three are dominated.

There is a reason that props are so well paid.
One of the stats flashed up by BT Sport on Sunday said we had lost "only" two of the last twenty scrums on our own feed.

That "only" suggests this is good, although it didn't give any comparators so I'm not altogether sure.
By Jalyn Mills
Depends very much if they are 'losses' as in penalised, or losses as in against the head. If the latter, alarming. If the former then fine.

But it's not just about winning scrums. I am sure we all recognise the mental image of Du Preez picking the ball up at the back because we are going backwards, as opposed to a solid stable platform for a scrum half to work from... Both of them would be 'Wins".
ageinghoody liked this
Whatever the stats say our scrum is an area of weakness the opposition can attack. Last week wasn’t bad but it doesn’t give us a dominant platform. Good thing is Bevan is improving every week. Harrison is solid, as is Schoenert. We’ve missed Harper a lot this year which is a problem in itself. Jones did ok last week but he only had to face 2-3 scrums. He got destroyed a few weeks back, though he may have been a bit rusty.

Assuming Coenie goes we need someone to come in, if a good standard whilst Harper, Ford etc develop. The U18 TH looked good in the loose as well but that’s obviously a while off.

At least with the new laws there are less scrums so it’s potentially less of an issue than before.

Do think some new coaching blood may help. The Webber rumour has disappeared but he’s doing a great job at Jersey it seems.
I've not seen him tbh, but I've seen him down as starting a number of games which is a vote confidence considering the top 14 is a scrummagers league
Do remember him looking to have improved quite a lot before he left Wasps
Olyy wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:53 am
Apparently Kieran Brookes wants to return to the Prem from Toulon - possible replacement for Oosthuizen?
Fits Axes Northern mould as he played for Fylde before going pro
Recall hearing that he’s bounced around on relatively high salaries and he won’t have gone cheap to France. Think we would be better off looking around the championship and trying to promote harper
Olyy liked this
Watched a replay of one of the games from the opening round of the MLR this morning. Wonder if any of our youngsters: Curtis, Ford, Carlisle, Doherty etc would benefit from playing? Short season and would be a great experience for them.
Elgar liked this
RugbyMarvel wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:54 pm

Recall hearing that he’s bounced around on relatively high salaries and he won’t have gone cheap to France. Think we would be better off looking around the championship and trying to promote harper
I keep seeing this line or similar in relation to various players - we can't afford them, they will cost too much etc.

If he wants to come back, there is a salary cap, and he will have to reduce his demands. Same with other players who are 'on too much'.

They will only get what anyone will pay them next year, what they got this or last is irrelevant.
StalyShark wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:45 pm
Watched a replay of one of the games from the opening round of the MLR this morning. Wonder if any of our youngsters: Curtis, Ford, Carlisle, Doherty etc would benefit from playing? Short season and would be a great experience for them.
From going to a MLR game previously, they're keen at growing the game from within, so taking loanees from England might not be what they're looking for.

I'm off to California this week and had the San Diego vs Dallas game all lined up with Flumpty Jnr, when Mrs Flumpty spoiled our plans with some thing that she already had arranged. It would have been good to see how Chris Robshaw, Henry Trinder and Chris Pennell were doing.
StalyShark wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:45 pm
Arranging a few games for players like this for a franchise in New York, LA, or somewhere like that would be a very strong incentive for keeping them at the club instead of thinking about offers for earlier exposure at other prem (or URC) clubs, I'd have thought.

(Horses for courses of course. Some lads would be better off staying locally. But for those that would want the adventure, can't think what would be better. Presume the club are capable of helping academy players decide on things like that for themselves.)

Interesting whether that kind of arrangement could have helped us keep the likes of Nott, Redpath, Sam Moore.

Seem to remember players in the class of Sam James and Mike Haley (maybe even including those two) got loaned to club sides in South Africa as part of their development. What a development experience that would have been both on and off the pitch and what a great perk from the club to sort it out for them.
Can't imagine clubs loaning players to teams that far away - with injuries, internationals and the Prem Cup back sides need to be able to (and we have done on multiple occasions) call players back on a days notice to fill in the gaps
Ben Curry linked to Tigers, rumour says they may buy him out of the final year of his contract. Was it not Tom they were after last summer??

Big loss, i'd be doing all i could to keep him. As he is not away on internationals I'd be thinking joint captaincy with Tom for next season. One of them will always be playing, and both are prominent members of the squad having been part of the furniture for 6 years or so now.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-round-u ... ign-two/2/ - I'm unsure how reliable this is given there is no source.
Huge failure on our part if we let either Curry depart. Homegrown and important players, EQP, academy credits etc.

Have to say that I think it would be even bigger a failure to let Ben go compared to Tom considering how many more games Ben tends to be available for (would appoint Ben as captain over Tom for that reason).
Not the most concrete of rumours, is it?
I doubt that there are many sides in the club game that wouldn't be interested in having a Curry on their rosta,
and willing to buy out his contract...are we willing to sell it?
Does he want us to sell it?

Just bluster, which is all Ruck.co.uk is good for

Groves leaving Bristol is interesting, though - he looked very good for England u20s. South African but will qualify on residence next season
Olyy wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:27 pm
Not the most concrete of rumours, is it?
I doubt that there are many sides in the club game that wouldn't be interested in having a Curry on their rosta,
and willing to buy out his contract...are we willing to sell it?
Does he want us to sell it?

Just bluster, which is all Ruck.co.uk is good for

Groves leaving Bristol is interesting, though - he looked very good for England u20s. South African but will qualify on residence next season
As i said I'm not sure how reliable, but Leicester were linked to a Curry last summer. Ruck is sometimes pretty hot on the case but only when quoting other sources like The Rugby Paper.
RinTin wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:30 am
Ben Curry linked to Tigers, rumour says they may buy him out of the final year of his contract. Was it not Tom they were after last summer??

Big loss, i'd be doing all i could to keep him. As he is not away on internationals I'd be thinking joint captaincy with Tom for next season. One of them will always be playing, and both are prominent members of the squad having been part of the furniture for 6 years or so now.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-round-u ... ign-two/2/ - I'm unsure how reliable this is given there is no source.
I frequently wonder how many of these rumours are originated by agents to talk up their clients' prospects in advance of negotiations with the current employer.

I also occasionally wonder if Ben might think his own career prospects could be improved if he was in a situation to be considered on his individual merits rather than half of a double-act.

And of course, for either of them as many others, there's always the question of "do I need the stimulus of a new challenge?". If the answer to that is "Yes", then there isn't an awful lot that can be done to hold on to them: QED George Ford.

Maybe Mark Cueto could be one of the the last examples of the "one club man"! :thinking:
Olyy wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:27 pm
....am I Neil Fissler?

Groves is a big unit and looked very good for England u20s,
Dr Lam apparently not keen on him but maybe because he's a traditional lock and doesn't throw one handed offloads out the back door, which is Brizzles plan A
ShawSharkRedemption wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:22 am
Good young lock, very interesting pick-up if true. Signalling end of Lood ?
or Postlethwaite?
Groves is only 20 so would be a squad player, not a first teamer, atm
DavenportSharky liked this
Sarries game

Belated congrats to the whole squad for that unexp[…]

Premiership Semi at Bath

£14.60 train - you aren't going to be[…]

Baba

Doherty on loan to Falcons sounds good to me. Get […]