Olyy wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:52 am
RinTin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:43 am
If he does go to Lyon does that mean Joel Kpoku could come back to England? Real prospect and someone heavily touted for England before he left.

Hill out (along with a hefty salary) - Kpoku to take some of that wedge given he has been used to the finer things salary wise in France.

Wiese and Hill out, Ewels and Kpoku in. Strong second row options retained for next season with Ernst and JLDP back up options.
I read an interview with Kpoku a month or two ago it sounds like he has no intention of ever moving back to the Prem - I reckon he's going to stay there long term and try and play for France (he was already fluent in French before moving Lyon)
Well that's my bubble burst. I simply cannot think of any viable replacements if we recruit in. Gaskell back for 1 season pre retirement?? Dave Ribbans sick of Toulon and heading back to England after 1 season?

Pedro Rubiolo at Falcons is a great prospect. Ask Creevy to have a whisper in his ear.
StalyShark wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:28 pm
Mason Grady rumour:
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/premiers ... dy-report/
Not seen him play.
Very fast and very strong, really exciting to watch - definitely one of Wales' most promising young talents IMO
Mostly played 13 throughout his career, I think, but has played wing all this season - not sure if that's where his future lies or if they've injuries or whatever

Think Veainu only signed a one year deal, so maybe being looked at as a replacement for him?
Grady is very big, very strong and very quick, but with nice hands and footwork.

He cut us to pieces a few times when Cardiff knocked us out of the European second tier cup last season.

Would be a great signing for anyone.

Interesting player for us to prioritise though, given how we are already stocked in that position, unless we are losing the likes of Manu as well as Sam James; or something like that.

edit: that was looking at him as a centre. If looking at him as a winger then perhaps Reed and/or Roebuck is being tempted to Scotland, as is being discussed around Warr. That would be a shame but a very strong replacement.

Presume he wouldn't go away with Wales as wouldn't yet have amassed 25 caps.
Last edited by Elgar on Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RinTin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:43 am
If he does go to Lyon does that mean Joel Kpoku could come back to England? Real prospect and someone heavily touted for England before he left.

Hill out (along with a hefty salary) - Kpoku to take some of that wedge given he has been used to the finer things salary wise in France.

Wiese and Hill out, Ewels and Kpoku in. Strong second row options retained for next season with Ernst and JLDP back up options.
From the RugbyPass article that @Bucks1861 linked to
In addition in the second row, Lyon are looking hard to fill the upcoming departure of Joel Kpoku, who will join Pau at the end of the season.
RinTin liked this
Potential for quite a lot of movement this season:
Manu, Sam James and Veainu out of contract,
I'm guessing Flats is too (if Hill is, though may have signed a longer deal)

I know Axe has said he wants to keep Sam and Manu, but it's up to the players at the end of the day - it sounds like SJ has had an offer from abroad and I imagine Manu will have a few too

And then away from there we've got the Currys, Wiese, Hill, LCD, Creevy and Warr out of contract, and those are just the ones I know of - possibly/probably more too (I know Axe mentioned a lot of the cap increase will be taken up by the likes of Rodd, Roebuck, Raffi who signed their first senior deals during COVID when the wages were lower - not sure if that means they're out of contract this year or it just has to be earmarked for the future)
What's the play if LCD does decide to move to Lyon? We have Creevy, Taylor and Caine - 2 older stagers and a young (very handy) inexperienced lad.

For what it's worth I think it reflects terribly on LCD if he does go - Sale gave him a chance when he had already bitten the hand that fed him (Chiefs) and he had no option at Montpelier. Again he is biting the hand so to speak.

He will be on a good salary here and has a 2 year contract in place. He should be pushing for England again at 30, not looking for a French payday.
I don't think it really reflects that badly - he signed a 1 + 1 (or just a 1? Nothing in the press release, but I think I remember Axe saying 1 + 1) so there was always the possi/probability that he would move on after one

He came to us on lowered money, and while it would be nice to keep around after putting the time into his rehab - he was deadset on moving to France before, so must have come to terms with giving up his international career. If anything I would expect a career threatening injury to galvanise that decision as he'll want to make as much money as possible in case he does have to retire early
RinTin, 45jumper liked this
Assuming he proves his fitness throughout this season, then I am sure he would want to re-negotiate his pay deal, but I would be seriously P!ssed off with him if he ups and leaves at the end of the season knowing that Sale want keep him and are prepared to make a sensible wage offer.

Sale may, of course, have something else lined up and be happy to let him leave, though given the way Alex signs his praises I find that doubtful.
@Olyy Where did you read SJ has had offers from abroad? Think he'd be an attractive proposition for a lot of sides and I wouldn't blame him for feeling a bit miffed for constantly getting dropped for an out-of-position RDP.
Grady would be a superb signing (I'd swap him for Manu in a heartbeat) but would mean an immediate change in how we'd play (with a playmaker at 13). Then again, perhaps that's needed given our poor attacking performances this season. :thinking:
45jumper wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:44 am
@Olyy Where did you read SJ has had offers from abroad? Think he'd be an attractive proposition for a lot of sides and I wouldn't blame him for feeling a bit miffed for constantly getting dropped for an out-of-position RDP.
“I don’t want to lose Sam. He has been an integral part of this place forever. If he were to move on for personal reasons and it would be for a lifestyle change from what I understand. This is his last opportunity to get a contract somewhere else to experience the world on the back of rugby. They are valid reasons. He has got to weigh that up against looking back in five or six years’ time and seeing what he missed out on having created what he has created here. That is his choice because I think we will be competitive in terms of what is on the market by way of salary. So it would come down to what he and his wife want to do for a lifestyle choice going forward. I spoke to him the other day and said we need to talk about this. It wasn’t really on his radar as he is enjoying his rugby but you have to plan because he is out of contract next summer.

“It would be nice for us to know sooner rather than later what the future holds by the new year but I have not put any deadline on it. I have told him to go away and discuss it with his wife. This year due to the nature of the season most things will get wrapped up by that February break.”
https://kierancrichard.wixsite.com/webs ... 22-11-2023

Doesn't explicitly say there's offers on the table, but sounds like he's weighing up a move abroad so presumably it's a option for him
Apparently the rumours about him being linked to Bath were because he was spotted at their last game but what the rumours left out was he was there with a bunch of other Cardiff boys to support ex-teammate Max Llewellyn who was playing for Gloucester
I'm still trying to work out where he fits into our existing system. If he comes in he is certainly looking to have a starting role that's for sure.

First choice winger? Maybe, not sure though given Reed and Roebuck and wing is Grady's second position.

13? Maybe, although our current attacking system has a playmaker at 13 (SJ and RDP).

12? Makes most sense given the lad is an even weightier ball than Manu and RJVR (based on some sources). But he doesn't play 12 from what I can see.

I like the idea of Curtis at 12 and Grady outside him at 13. I'm assuming in this that Manu is off.
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:30 am
I think if Grady were available then we would find a way to make him fit, a pacy strike runner in the centres is exactly what we are missing. However, I don't think it would be a great decision for him to leave Wales.
Considering the combination of the game being in free fall in Wales and the limited lifespan of a professional player, his moving north would be great news for Sale
Oh Danny Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:44 am
poyntonshark wrote:
I think if Grady were available then we would find a way to make him fit, a pacy strike runner in the centres is exactly what we are missing. However, I don't think it would be a great decision for him to leave Wales.
Considering the combination of the game being in free fall in Wales and the limited lifespan of a professional player, his moving north would be great news for Sale
Having said that the club game isn't exactly thriving in England is it?

To be honest if you enter paid employment in any capacity with a Premiership club you do so very much at your own risk.
SimonG wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:01 pm
Oh Danny Boy wrote:
poyntonshark wrote:

To be honest if you enter paid employment in any capacity with a Premiership club you do so very much at your own risk.
I'm not arguing that the PRL isn't finally facing up to decades of poor structural/financial planning by the clubs. I'd prefer to see him play in England than go to France.

Yourself?
Oh Danny Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:15 pm
SimonG wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:01 pm
Oh Danny Boy wrote:

I'm not arguing that the PRL isn't finally facing up to decades of poor structural/financial planning by the clubs. I'd prefer to see him play in England than go to France.

Yourself?
To be honest I'm not fussed either way.
not sure why we wouldn't want to sign Grady? as for where he fits? really? has played wing and centre for wales and is 6 ft 5 and 17.5 stone.

Part of me thinks he could be a replacement for Manu with RDP stepping in one and Grady having the pace, hands and power to give us the pace to really give the back three some space. Alternatively are we really saying he wouldnt be better on the wing other than TOF or Reed? Imagine Grady and Roebuck covering box kicks....

Oh Danny Boy liked this
Bucks1861 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:45 pm
Maybe it’s me, but I didn’t think Reed had qualification for Scotland
Guessing it's a grandparent, Telegraph says "Scottish heritage" rather than parent
https://archive.is/RBXQQ

Losing EQP status could harm his selection chances here considering how many non-EQP players are first choice in the pack
Bucks1861, ledzepsfr liked this
Halifaxshark wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:37 pm
Seen online that Rohan Janse Van Rensburg has signed for Bordeaux.

Rumours that Manu Tuilagi could join his nephew Posolo at Perpignan next season.
I had hoped we would bring RJVR back north with Manu off....

Manu has my well wishes and thanks. He has helped put bums on seats and really boosted our profile. Go get that paycheck in France.
Halifaxshark wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:37 pm
Rumours that Manu Tuilagi could join his nephew Posolo at Perpignan next season.
Lovely part of France to live tbf, and like you said: got the family connection with Posolo playing there and Henry settled there/runs his business from there after retiring
Olyy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:43 pm
Telegraph says Reed is going to be named in the Scotland squad this week, no mention of Roebuck or Warr
The Reed link is a clear grab by the SRU to get more SQP's into Scotland. They will get him in the training squad, cap him once, then throw a contract at him for next season at Edinburgh or Glasgow.

I would also wager Reed being involved therefore means Scotland couldn't tempt Roebuck.
Olyy liked this
The SRU policy of “poaching” players developed through the Premiership acadamies, if they then encourage them to move north of the border (say all of our three go, to add to Ashman) will (or should) inevitable cause a review in which youth players get selected into the English system . It’s untenable for one club to lose four home grown players IMHO.
Oh Danny Boy liked this
Not sure I see the real macro concern. It’s a globalised game in a globalised world. I doubt there’s that many players coming through our or any academy that aren’t eligible for more than one nation.

With greatest of respect to Reed and Warr, there’s no real loss to England if they are capped by Scotland. They are in their mid twenties now, have already played their hands towards England selection and it seems clear it isn’t going to happen. If Roebuck doesn’t go for Scotland at this time then it may be because he’s given the impression that he’s a chance of an England call up soon.

For Sale, it would be a big shame to loose Warr and Reed at the end of their contracts, but Sale could potentially prevent that. Warr and Reed will presumably be looking for significant uplifts on their next contracts given how both of their importance to the team has increased since their last deal was signed; that would be perfectly fair on their part. It’s not just the Scottish franchises that we would need to outcompete, there are other leagues that they could equally realistically get more lucrative deals in and whilst continuing to play for Scotland; Scottish internationals aren’t compelled to play in Scotland and there are plenty that don't (and quite a few that never do).
Bucks1861 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:59 am
The SRU policy of “poaching” players developed through the Premiership acadamies, if they then encourage them to move north of the border (say all of our three go, to add to Ashman) will (or should) inevitable cause a review in which youth players get selected into the English system . It’s untenable for one club to lose four home grown players IMHO.
It's bloody annoying but I'm not sure it's untenable. We lost groups of homegrown players to Sarries, Wasps and (to a lesser extent) Saints over the years.

We've also made no secret that we looked to entice players from SA. I can imagine that the Sharks weren't best please to lose all 3 du Preezs.

With the Saxons game coming up, there are double the opportunities for England players this Spring. I'd love to see Aaron in white but there are a lot of good wingers around and if he's not on the radar, I can understand him playing for Scotland.

He's still young enough to come back to England in 2027 in time for the World Cup. :mrgreen:
Flumpty wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:36 pm
RinTin wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:53 pm
I'd wager Grady will almost certainly stay in Wales with WRU funding now that LRZ is off to the NFL with immediate effect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67995451
Given the skintness level of the WRU, I'm not as confident as you that they'd be able to do that.
They will find a way. Losing LRZ and Grady from international selection in the space of a month would be devastating for them. Rumours suggest Grady will stay at Cardiff anyway (rumours pre LRZ heading off).
On Aaron Reed, more diplomatically than me Alex has made his thoughts clear.

ARRON REED PICKED BY SCOTLAND FOR SIX NATIONS

“Arron believes it is his best opportunity to play international rugby and I support that. Our dealings with Scotland are positive ones. For other reasons it helps if they are playing for England. Ultimately it is his decision and his career and aspirations. I am always aligned with what the player wants.

“Absolutely (concerned it could be another Ewan Ashman situation), that’s what I was referring to in terms of the relationship with the SRU and the management structure there.”

I still believe the SRU need to have a longer term vision rather than searching through where England fringe players (their parents or grandparents) were born.
Oh Danny Boy liked this
Regarding the comments on us needing two new locks for next reason - this comment from Alex’s press briefing clearly indicates the situation, without being explicit.

LCD's inclusion and Jonny Hill's omission from England squad, any indication on players' futures;

"Their (various players) non-inclusion in the England squad is a pushing factor for them to move abroad. That is certainly the case.”
Oh Danny Boy liked this
Bucks1861 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:03 am

I still believe the SRU need to have a longer term vision rather than searching through where England fringe players (their parents or grandparents) were born.
IIRC, the sweaties havent had a player come through the from the U20's since 2020. If I'm right, thats shambolic.
Bucks1861 liked this
BY NEILFISSLER

SALE have recruited Le Roux Roets, a second row enforcer for Sharks in the URC, to replace Cobus Wiese who is returning to South Africa with the Bulls in the summer.

Roets, 29, who stands at a towering 6ft 8ins, is well travelled, having played for the Bulls, Racing 92, Waratahs, and Pumas before arriving at the Sharks in 2020. He has made three URC appearancespearances this season and is now fully fit after an injury-hit campaign.
RinTin liked this
Falcons

Not sure the citing comission can get involved - y[…]

Heaton Moor 2nds 54 Congleton 2nds 17. KO 12 n[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]

Tom Curry OMG

I just hope he takes his time and is patient. Jus[…]