45jumper wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:23 am
Hammersley has no place in the squad. He gets caught out of position and rarely breaks the line. Every time he takes it into contact the opposition makes a dominant hit, he has no physicality. Not only that but his playmaking skills are average at best and his work under the high ball is pretty poor. You can get away with some of this if you have pace but he must be the slowest in the premiership. He's a decent one-on-one defender, but apart from that?
Compare and contrast to Nowell at the weekend, it was night and day. If there's no room in the cap for a new signing, I'd give Carpenter or Gourlay a go before Hammersley. He seems a nice enough bloke but he's just not good enough.
I don't disagree but that's a bit harsh in this day and age! From your description I'm slightly surprised that Eddie hasn't called him up to the England squad to compliment Furbanks.
Well, as I introduced the subject of Hammersley to this thread I suppose I should state my position.

I reckon fullbacks are similar to goalkeepers or wicketkeepers, i.e. their errors and misfortunes are usually more noticeable. Confirmation bias also means that what they do right is discounted as "just doing their job". (I think it was Gordon Banks who said that a spectacular save often meant that he'd been in the wrong position to start with.)

I've no doubt most of you on here know more about rugby than I do, but if it comes down to accepting someone's judgment, then I'd guess Axe (and previously Dimes) know even more. Dimes thought Hammers was worth signing, and Axe has continued to use him rather than try any of the "imaginative" experiments occasionally suggested on here. I'll be trusting his judgment as to the future direction. If Axe says he should go, then so be it. If he stays then clearly he's good enough for Axe, so he's good enough for me.
StalyShark wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:39 pm

Possibly means that Denny is staying and not off to Bristol.
From the wording on the article it does sound like these are the only leavers - I think Denny still has a year on his contract, so hopefully see him in a Sharks shirt again after the summer
That’s definitely true aging. Luke James has made more errors than Hammersley across the season. Sanderson said he was going with the squad last year so I don’t think experimenting was part of his agenda. That may change now. He’s been rotating Hammersley and James with Hammersley preferred of late due to James dip in form.

The one area we need to improve on is in attack. That does require change in personnel I believe.
To add to the full back debate, we are also up to the salary cap now. We seemingly have 3 props leaving and 2 props and a hooker coming in, given there doesn’t appear to be anyone else leaving and that the leavers/arrivals seem to be at a similar level I’d guess that means next year we are going to have to make the best of what we have got. For 22/23 I guess we need to make a decision on whether to go out and find someone. I think the best result would be for another youngster to emerge….
I suspect the silence on Denny might not be as clear cut as it seems. Thoughts would be (re silence) it could be any of the following:

a) he is staying.
b) Sale want a transfer fee for him.
c) there is some form of compromise in the works.

He doesnt seem to be training at the moment from what I can see. Whether thats down to his fitness or something else we can all speculate.
Olyy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:43 pm
StalyShark wrote:

From the wording on the article it does sound like these are the only leavers - I think Denny still has a year on his contract, so hopefully see him in a Sharks shirt again after the summer
Would help with the pace of the back 3 🤞🏼
Yareet wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:38 pm
Olyy wrote:
StalyShark wrote:

And he did express a desire to play at 15 a while back I think ? Maybe that could help out back 3 issue ?
AonM wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 pm
Yareet wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:38 pm
Olyy wrote:

And he did express a desire to play at 15 a while back I think ? Maybe that could help out back 3 issue ?
Much as I love Denny, I always have mg eyes shut when he has to compete to take a high ball
Flumpty wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:25 pm
Van Cannonball wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 pm
And he was about as fast as James Phillips last time out against Quins...

If he can get back to his potential it would be fantastic, but I just don’t see it unfortunately.
Don't dis the Phillips :yes: :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1811043662275530
Good to see that clip again. He's lost a fair bit of weight with us
Flumpty liked this
45jumper wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:23 am
Hammersley has no place in the squad. He gets caught out of position and rarely breaks the line. Every time he takes it into contact the opposition makes a dominant hit, he has no physicality. Not only that but his playmaking skills are average at best and his work under the high ball is pretty poor. You can get away with some of this if you have pace but he must be the slowest in the premiership. He's a decent one-on-one defender, but apart from that?
Compare and contrast to Nowell at the weekend, it was night and day. If there's no room in the cap for a new signing, I'd give Carpenter or Gourlay a go before Hammersley. He seems a nice enough bloke but he's just not good enough.
Bit harsh on Hammersley to compare him to a 34 England and 2 Lions cap player who would probably have been a Lion this time had he not been injured. I suspect they are on very different salary bands as well!!
Since the Hammersley debate has started, I have tried to look at other 15s to see where they are consistently breaking the line and doing amazing 'mazy' runs. To my uneducated eye, there don't seem to be many that are streets ahead of Hammers.

I also believe that he is consistently good under a high ball. The only problem seems to be that sometimes there is a lack of back up from team members after he has caught it.
ageinghoody liked this
Any of Tyrone Green, Tom De Glanville, Tom Parton, Freddie Steward, Tommy Freeman got highlight reels of their work this season? Suspect all on similar money to Hammersley so wouldn't be unfair to compare with them as it would be with someone like Hogg.
Elgar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:26 pm
Any of Tyrone Green, Tom De Glanville, Tom Parton, Freddie Steward, Tommy Freeman got highlight reels of their work this season? Suspect all on similar money to Hammersley so wouldn't be unfair to compare with them as it would be with someone like Hogg.
Okay, I will have a look on Youtube, but no need to be sarky. I'll check for a Hammers highlight reel too. :-)
dinogyro wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:54 pm
Elgar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:26 pm
Okay, I will have a look on Youtube, but no need to be sarky. I'll check for a Hammers highlight reel too. :-)
I don't mean to be sarcastic at all. I am sincerely interested in whether a decent compilation of any of their's is available. If it is then (i) I'd love to watch it myself; (ii) I'm sincerely interested in whether there's a way of looking at it that says we do actually have a fullback equal to any of their attacking threat.
Our scrum was a bit weird - from memory I saw some stats and on our own put in the stat - we're really good

It was when the opposition had the put-in - the pens we seemed to give away seemed excessive.

Not sure how much that's down to coaching or the players. A bit like our backs play - do you really need a coach to tell players to pass in front of the receiver which we struggle with or is it all just confidence driven
TeflonTed wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:11 pm
Evening all. Just on a zoom meeting with a bunch of Wuss ST holders (celebrating the arrival of Rory Sutherland) and we’re asking ourselves about Schonert?

Has there been any announcement yet your end?
To answer the question. No there hasn't. I have seen several comments insisting that this was a done deal up to at least a month ago, but nothing official yet.
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:11 am
TeflonTed wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:11 pm
Evening all. Just on a zoom meeting with a bunch of Wuss ST holders (celebrating the arrival of Rory Sutherland) and we’re asking ourselves about Schonert?

Has there been any announcement yet your end?
To answer the question. No there hasn't. I have seen several comments insisting that this was a done deal up to at least a month ago, but nothing official yet.
I've consigned that one to the "believe it when I see it" file.
I’d normally say so but confident in this one. It makes sense in all sorts of ways. No way we are going into next season without 2 props being signed. We just need to get Steve Diamond to deny it.

Don’t think we will sign anyone else though.
45jumper liked this
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:29 pm
Elgar wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:53 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57685605

Could it be? Incisive attack is the missing piece and most on here would say that's little or nothing to do with the available playing personal.
Rob Webber, ex of this Pariah has got a promotion to Head Coach in the same article :dance:
I know Rob came in for some heavy (and justified) criticism after the drink-driving, but "pariah" is a bit strong! :mrgreen:
DaveAitch liked this
ageinghoody wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:49 pm
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:29 pm
Elgar wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:53 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57685605

Could it be? Incisive attack is the missing piece and most on here would say that's little or nothing to do with the available playing personal.
Rob Webber, ex of this Pariah has got a promotion to Head Coach in the same article :dance:
Love it :mrgreen: :yes:

I know Rob came in for some heavy (and justified) criticism after the drink-driving, but "pariah" is a bit strong! :mrgreen:
DaveAitch liked this
There was an article saying they were trying to convince him to sign for them at the end of his current contract - think that's two seasons away, though?
Show me a club that isn't interested in signing him, though, tbf

Ruck likely just recycling that rumour now that it's been a while since it was first reported - same as any other clickbait site, wait until people start forgetting about a rumour then say it again to get clicks thinking there's a new development
Totally agree. I really don't want a repeat of the off-season before the 18-19 season.

We were linked with great and good props all summer then went into the first quarter of the season with Harrison, WGJ (while he was still developing - he really wasn't then what he is now) Tarus and Joe Jones. Was uncomfortable watching how that worked out.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]