Koch is off to the SA Sharks.

Odogwu free agent. Not sure where he'll go.

RugbyPaper reporting that Gary Graham had his contract with Carcassonne torn up as they were relegated. He rejected a new deal at Falcons to go there. He now can't find anything else and has a young family. Verging on homeless based on the article.

All very sad. Add to this the likely LI news at 7pm.
Koch would be a great signing wherever he goes, however would also be on mega bucks (had no shortage of suitors after wasps went under but his wage demands were too high)
SA sharks would make sense, they're throwing their chequebook about in a major way

Odogwu losing his EQP status will be a blow for his signing prospects - however I always thought that he'd end up at at Benetton so that's still my prediction (he and Jacob Umaga are best mates and run a business together, and that's where Jacob went after wasps - plus keeps him close to the Italy selectors)

That's really sad news about Graham - I would say surely a solid, experienced, Prem standard player like him will easily find a club at some level but there's so many players on the market ATM it must be a race to the bottom in terms of wages, and it sounds like there's going to be a whole load more players joining that market later today
I saw that Carl Fearns has gone (or is rumoured to be going?) to a third division French side, as well
RinTin wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:45 am
Apparently Northampton have the option to bring back Harry Mallinder as well from Black Rams Tokyo.

Very handy player at 10, 12 and 15. Saints don't have massive depth in the back line currently.
He's not had much success in Japan - I think I read that he's not played a senior game whilst there.
Bennett2392 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:00 pm
I have heard from a reliable source down here in Devon that sale have signed Cowan Dickie for a year and then he will be off to France after that. Great player but I hope we are not spending too much on him if it is true!
Gives us a year to find a Test-level hooker after the World Cup
Bennett2392 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:00 pm
I have heard from a reliable source down here in Devon that sale have signed Cowan Dickie for a year and then he will be off to France after that. Great player but I hope we are not spending too much on him if it is true!
My thoughts too - though I don't think we will have considering he'll be missing for world cup/world cup stand down and he's a bit in the lurch after his deal in France fell through
1yr on reduced salary (topped up with England appearances) while he sorts out a different big money move abroad makes sense

Also makes sense for us as it gives us a year to bring Caine through - though a little concerned it might mean Akker, Tommy and LCD would be out of contract at the same time? Not sure how long Tommy/Akker have on their contracts
Bucks1861 liked this
Good business, if true and assuming that his situation lessens the strain on the purse strings. One thought though, I understood that he couldn't play in France because of the failed medical? I suppose an opportunity to be re-tested after a year would make sense.
I think we're going to have to go for another hooker because three isn't enough with Akker and to a lesser extent TT's injury records.

Great news if that new signing is one that will be the best of the bunch.

There would still be plenty of opportunities for Caine given LCD's involvement with England (especially in a RWC year); plus unfortunately Akker is highly likely based on previous seasons to have around 5 weeks of time injured to deal with.
[/quote]

Or, will LI players get some relaxation of the rules like Wasps and Wuss players did for a while?
[/quote]

That's what I had read, I think. Potentially quite a lucrative caveat for Arundel.if only in the short term.
RFU cannot hope to maintain the ignoring of players in other leagues for the coming season. It simply isn't possible with the number of players being forced overseas increasing.

Personally I have always supported the rule - keep our best English players in our league. It always made sense. BUT everything has changed with 3 clubs failing and around 120 players having to go where ever they can to simply work. This season needs to be an exception.

2023/2024 season should not impose any restrictions on players Steve can select pure and simple.
RinTin wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:23 am
RFU cannot hope to maintain the ignoring of players in other leagues for the coming season. It simply isn't possible with the number of players being forced overseas increasing.

Personally I have always supported the rule - keep our best English players in our league. It always made sense. BUT everything has changed with 3 clubs failing and around 120 players having to go where ever they can to simply work. This season needs to be an exception.

2023/2024 season should not impose any restrictions on players Steve can select pure and simple.
No certainty of release by their clubs?

PS, Would this topic be more at home in the Training Squad thread?
Olyy, Bucks1861 liked this
It could be this thread, the Training Squad thread or the Players Leaving Premiership Clubs thread I suppose.

Sorry, i was only replying to the previous 2 comments which were discussing whether LI players moving abroad could get picked internationally. Didn't feel I was shoe horning a topic in.
RinTin wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:46 am
It could be this thread, the Training Squad thread or the Players Leaving Premiership Clubs thread I suppose.

Sorry, i was only replying to the previous 2 comments which were discussing whether LI players moving abroad could get picked internationally. Didn't feel I was shoe horning a topic in.
No criticism intended RinTin, just an observation. Apologies if it came over that way!
RinTin liked this
Any suspicions we are going in for anyone? Another back three player and a prop would be handy.

Rory Jennings to Falcons confirmed.

EDIT - just seen Quins also got Chawatama. He was the one I'd hoped we'd angle for at tight head.
Cinti has been exceptional whenever I've seen him, but not sure we'd be after a dedicated winger

I think all of the players I properly had my eye on have been snapped up now,

Ciaran Parker would make sense if we were looking for an additional prop, especially as he'd add to the academy credits
RinTin, Flumpty liked this
Irish fan here. The others I imagine will end up with good offers are Ruiz, Fischetti, Goodrick-Clarke, Rogerson, Basham, Gonzalez and Cinti. Lots of other good talent out there, but they're the ones who could comfortably start at Premiership level. Cinti has huge potential and can cover 15 and 13. Some fans weren't as keen on the idea as me, but I think he has potential to be a world class 13 and Argentina have used him there too on occasion. On a personal level would love it if Rogerson got an offer to go back north.
Olyy, Halifaxshark, RinTin liked this
I, too, am a big fan of Rogerson - just not sure whether we have the room in our squad for another backrower,

It might hinge on whether JLdP makes the full RWC squad for SA - if he's missing/coming off of a RWC campaign and requiring rest then we'd be short handed with Wiese, Ben Curry and maybe Ernst van Rhyn missing the start of the season (and Tom will miss some for international stand down - and maybe Dan du Preez if his shoulder surgery recovery is lengthy)

I'd like to see him land a permanent deal somewhere, but if he doesn't then I hope we can offer him a deal until Christmasish (like we did with Joe Simpson this season just gone)
Cinti signs for Sarries.

I don't know whether to be concerned or not about our low recruitment. We have secured our top players on long term deals now and have a strong squad which are key points for me. Depth in the backline could be a question mark. We just won't know until the season gets going.

Players we have recruited have been targeted for certain reasons and planned well. I can't help but feel we wouldn't have gone for Veainu though had LI gone earlier. Collins and Loader would have been options.
Was thinking the same about our recruitment, but then equally can't think where we're necessarily short other than Hooker, which we have been trying to recruit in (and possibly are on the verge of announcing a B&I Lion hooker)

Backs depth perhaps, but then when you put it on paper (in no specific order):
9: Warr, Quirke, Thomas
10. Ford, RdP, Curtis
11. O'Flaherty, Reed
12. Tuilagi, Bedlow Sr.
13. James, Ma'asi-White, Doherty, Bedlow Jr.
14. Roebuck, Veainu
15. Carpenter, L.James

with a number of those players able to play multiple positions if we've one or two more academy lads ready to step up in the prem cup (can't remember his name but we had a winger in the Eng u20s recently didn't we?) then we should be fine
I'm hoping Doherty comes back as an inside centre - he played there a few times before injury, and we're pretty stacked at 13 (or Ma'asi-White makes the shift)

Saracens' recruitment is suss to me, everyone else is losing a lot more than they're signing (us: 3 in 13 out) apart from Saracens who are 7 in 9 out, and the 7 in are all starters at their current clubs
Bucks1861 liked this
Lord Elpus wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:51 pm
Alex Wils is the U20 winger. Collins has gone to Ealing.
That's the one - just googled his name and he was 18 when he signed a long term contract with us in December, bit young to be pressing for first team honours but should be getting some game time in the prem cup

Will be interesting to see what kind of side we put out in prem cup games, a lot of the players that we released were our prem cup side

e.g. our backline vs Exeter:

15. Jason Woodward, 14. Byron McGuigan, 13. Luke James, 12. Sam Hill, 11. Elliot Gourlay, 10. Tom Curtis, 9. Will Cliff;
21. Will Wootton, 22. Kieran Wilkinson, 23. Joe Bedlow.

Only 4/10 are still here

Going to be an exciting season, I can't wait to see who breaks through
Cinti is a brilliant player and he will be great at Sarries!

Prem cup team prediction;

15 - Veainu
14 - Willis
13 - Maasi-white
12 - Doherty
11 - Pope
10 - Curtis
9 - Thomas
1 - Harrison (If Rodd does not make WC squad) or Onasanya (If Rodd makes WC squad)
2 - Caine
3 - Jones
4 - Bamber
5 - Groves
6 - Davies
7 - Woodman
8 - Birch (C)

16 - Thompson
17 - Asher-Ffjdour
18 - Ford
19 - Riley
20 - Murphy
21 - ?
22 - Wardle
23 - Motamed

Anyone else dare to predict a prem cup team?
Prem team prediction

15 - Carpenter
14 - Roebuck
13 - S James
12 - Tuilagi
11 - Reed
10 - Ford
9 - Quirke
1 - McIntyre
2 - AVDM
3 - Schnoert
4 - JLDP (Wiese when back)
5 - Hill
6 - Van Rhyn (T Curry when B Curry back)
7 - T Curry (B Curry when back)
8 - DDP

16 - Cowan Dickie 🙏
17 - Rodd
18 - Harper
19 - Beaumont (JLDP when Wiese back)
20 - Dugdale (Van Rhyn when B Curry back)
21 - Warr
22 - R Du Preez
23 - S Bedlow or TOF
RinTin liked this
Halifaxshark wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:47 pm
Cinti is a brilliant player and he will be great at Sarries!

Prem cup team prediction;

15 - Veainu
14 - Willis
13 - Maasi-white
12 - Doherty
11 - Pope
10 - Curtis
9 - Thomas
1 - Harrison (If Rodd does not make WC squad) or Onasanya (If Rodd makes WC squad)
2 - Caine
3 - Jones
4 - Bamber
5 - Groves
6 - Davies
7 - Woodman
8 - Birch (C)

16 - Thompson
17 - Asher-Ffjdour
18 - Ford
19 - Riley
20 - Murphy
21 - ?
22 - Wardle
23 - Motamed

Anyone else dare to predict a prem cup team?
I think that this is possibly too light/junior. The early Prem Cup games will in essence be the pre-season games so I can see us playing a team which has a greater balance between Jets (e.g. Woodman), fringe (S Bedlow) and gun XV (a du Preez or two).

But I can also imagine the team will vary a lot during the World Cup.
Halifaxshark wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:59 pm
Prem team prediction

15 - Carpenter
14 - Roebuck
13 - S James
12 - Tuilagi
11 - Reed
10 - Ford
9 - Quirke
1 - McIntyre
2 - AVDM
3 - Schnoert
4 - JLDP (Wiese when back)
5 - Hill
6 - Van Rhyn (T Curry when B Curry back)
7 - T Curry (B Curry when back)
8 - DDP

16 - Cowan Dickie 🙏
17 - Rodd
18 - Harper
19 - Beaumont (JLDP when Wiese back)
20 - Dugdale (Van Rhyn when B Curry back)
21 - Warr
22 - R Du Preez
23 - S Bedlow or TOF
Surely you want JLDP starting, even when Wiese back? He's arguably our best player, certainly top 3. But I agree with eveything else, some cases to change the bench but not much in it.
RinTin liked this
Back row with either be double Curry, a dp with the other on the bench, or double DP with a curry and the other curry on the bench. Nice to rotate the 4.

Seconds JH and Cobus, Van Rhyn potential bench depending on how he settles.

Extras Beaumont and Dugdale.
chris1850 liked this
No Ellis in any of those mixes (did I miss something, he wasn't a short-term signing was he?).
The two sets of twins are obviously a cut above the rest, but all of our senior back rows are perfectly capable of starting without much of drop in overall quality at all. A great opportunity to help preserve everyone's fitness and freshness with proper rotation available.

Harry Thompson in the academy too, he played in th[…]

Sarries game

Not many weaknesses there. Perhaps the front row[…]

Dibnah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKPApAsJbj[…]

Sam James to leave Sale Sharks

I really like Sam James, but I do think his perfor[…]