Will's one of my favourite Sharks players probably ever, one of the most naturally talented rugby players I've seen - it'd be such a risk with his injury history though
Joined Ulster in 2018 and has played for them 34 times - compare to Joe Carpenter who made his prem debut last year and has played for us 36 times since

If (and big if) he's past that then he'd be a fantastic addition with him covering the 11-15, but....big if
We have a recent history of signing players with poor injury records. With a small squad
we cannot afford to keep players watching from the sidelines.
Sadly WA looked like he was made of glass when playing for us before, can't see that
much has changed. Not a signing I would be in favour of, we don't need fullbacks we need
centres we can build a backline around.
RinTin liked this
SSR wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:00 am
We have a recent history of signing players with poor injury records. With a small squad
we cannot afford to keep players watching from the sidelines.
Sadly WA looked like he was made of glass when playing for us before, can't see that
much has changed. Not a signing I would be in favour of, we don't need fullbacks we need
centres we can build a backline around.
Agree with this - a lot of love for Will but he is not someone we need.

This link could be further evidence of Sam James maybe leaving? Or suggest Luke will go? Perhaps both! Addison does cover the same positions as Sam.
Bucks1861 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:46 am
We could turn the clock back again and sign Mike Haley from Munster? Ummm.

Although he has a decent record of playing for them, his dream of Ireland caps lasted just one match.
Be interesting, if someone had the time/inclincation, to list the players over the past 5+ years who left us to get international recognition and it didn't turn out that way - Addison/Haley/Will Griff/Taylor/Gaskell come readily to mind but we defo had others
RinTin liked this
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:27 pm
Bucks1861 wrote:

Although he has a decent record of playing for them, his dream of Ireland caps lasted just one match.
Be interesting, if someone had the time/inclincation, to list the players over the past 5+ years who left us to get international recognition and it didn't turn out that way - Addison/Haley/Will Griff/Taylor/Gaskell come readily to mind but we defo had others
There are a lot! Cam Redpath and Odogwu on the list as they left to get better England chances, then went elsewhere internationally. Rob Miller, Henry Thomas, Cipriani on the list too where it didn't work out.
Bucks1861 wrote:

He was back playing for Munster tonight after what, I gather, was a nasty injury.
Guessing you're talking about the two new bath signings (Grace and the Saffer lock)?

Probably more a case of using their world class medical/sports science department/connections to knock money off a contract (i.e. if we can get you fit/back into your career can we knock 5% off)
Sam James rumoured to be off which isn’t a surprise. If that is the case and Manu goes too we can’t mess around with Spink and Addison etc. need to find the top class centre we lack. Just sign one class player and plug gaps with youngsters.
Sale Sharks will lose long-serving outside centre Sam James when his contract runs out at the end of the season. He is set to move to either the Pro D2 in France or to a United Rugby Championship side in Italy.

Manchester-born James, 29, who was educated at Wilmslow High School, is closing in on 240 appearances for the Sharks after playing 20 games for Alex Sanderson’s side this season.

James, who went on the England Saxons’ tour of South Africa eight years ago and was taken by Eddie Jones on his 2017 summer tour of Argentina, has also played for Sale at fly-half and on the wing.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fissler- ... first-buy/
Will be a sad day when he leaves, and can't help but think repeatedly getting dropped, regardless of form, for RdP to shift to 13 won't have helped
That said Axe did allude, earlier in the season, that SJ was eyeing up a move abroad for the cultural aspect of it, live in another country while he still has the opportunity etc.
Olyy wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:29 pm
Will be a sad day when he leaves, and can't help but think repeatedly getting dropped, regardless of form, for RdP to shift to 13 won't have helped
That said Axe did allude, earlier in the season, that SJ was eyeing up a move abroad for the cultural aspect of it, live in another country while he still has the opportunity etc.
Couldn't agree more - this one lies at Sanderson's door.
Sounds like a perfect move for Sam. I think I'm right in saying he has a very young family, not yet school age, so has time to move abroad, for presumably more money, play there for 2/3 years, enjoy a different culture. When school time arrives can make the decision whether to stay or move back to England. Possibly finish his career with a last year or two back home as a squad player, move straight into coaching or take up any other plans he may have. I wish him well.

Certainly don't see any 'fault' on Sanderson's part. Technically brilliant though Sam is, I don't think he has the pace or physicality to be the starting centre in a consistently top four side. Slightly contradictory to that, I do think that Manu and Sam is currently our best centre pairing.
Bucks1861, Olyy, Flumpty and 3 others liked this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68385384

Josh signs on for another 12 months.

Alex Sanderson said:

“With Josh it’s never been about his talent, it’s been about how his body is holding out and whether he has the drive to carry on playing. I’m very pleased to say that he is in great shape and he’s as motivated as ever to carry on competing at the very highest level week in, week out. That’s no mean feat.

“He’s an older head in a young group and he’s seen the club go through some big changes since he made his debut. Within the group he’s really well trusted and respected.

“He’s not one to hang from the rafters and shout and scream. He’s a calm voice, he’s experienced and someone the boys go to for advice and counsel when things get turbulent on and off the field.

“I’ve got so much trust and respect for him and as a coach you need people like Josh who can keep their heads when everyone around is losing theirs.”
Olyy, Oh Danny Boy liked this
Fissler reported comments x 3

“ Tigers are known to be battling Sale Sharks and Exeter Chiefs to bring Sam Spink home from the Western Force where he has been playing since Wasps went out of business.”

“ Ireland fly-half Billy Burns has agreed a deal with Munster to move to the province when his deal with cash-strapped Ulster runs out at the end of the season. Burns will depart Ulster, who posted losses of £900,000 last year and have already told Will Addison, who has been speaking to his former club Sale, that he isn’t getting a new deal.”

“ Lyon have pulled the plug on a move for England hooker Luke Cowan-Dickie due to injury risk, which could open the door to him staying in the Premiership with Sale. The Top 14 outfit wanted to sign Cowan-Dickie and Jonny Hill from the Sharks, but injuries have forced them to rethink plans.”
Addison on a "free" (i.e. not competing with Ulster) makes the rumours make more sense - would imagine he'd be on a very salary cap friendly deal if that were the case

Tigers pretty well stocked in the centres with Kata, Porter, Kelly, Scott and Cokanasiga Jr. - unless they're losing one or two of those I wouldn't have thought they'd be chasing a new signing very hard

Axe hinted before the 6N that callups could dictate who stays/goes so LCD going straight back into the England squad, and Lyon being iffy on him now, could well see him activate his 2nd year
Adding to the above I would assume Jonny Hill likely staying (feel very sorry for him). Maybe another LCD style contract of 1 year with option for another, combined with a lower salary, could work for all involved. His form was good prior to the injury.

Can't understand Leicester wanting another centre craving first team rugby. If they get him then surely one of their current guys will want out. Chiefs the more likely competition I would have thought with Hendrickson having left and Devoto being a little hit and miss.
From RugbyPass

“ England and Lions hooker Luke Cowan-Dickie has agreed to a one-year deal to remain with Premiership title hopefuls Sale Sharks next season.

Alex Sanderson wants him to be the heartbeat of the Sharks front row in 2024/25 after he had two French clubs, Montpellier and Lyon, pull the plug on moves in under a year.

The Truro-born 30-year-old missed the World Cup earlier in the season with a shoulder injury and was injured against La Rochelle in the Champions Cup, causing Lyon to opt out of a move.

Cowan-Dickie has made nine appearances and scored two tries for the Sharks after arriving on a one-year deal last July after playing 154 games for Exeter Chiefs, where he won Premiership and European Cup titles.
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:57 pm
Yes please (!!) but why would he be let go by Ulster? I suspect there'd also be quite a long queue for his services.
Supposedly Ulster are hurting for cash really bad, and the IRFU aren't offering a central contract

McCloskey will be a fantastic pick up wherever he lands - I'd heard rumours that Quins are interested, as a replacement for Esterhuizen (also very faint rumours of them looking Manu's way, but I doubt there's much in those)

I imagine McCloskey will go to France though, there's an increasing Irish presence in Top 14 coaching setups so he'll be on multiple radars
Despite all this there are rumours of Werner Kock leaving Sharks to go there. His salary at the Sharks is reportedly around £160k.

McCloskey will turn 32 this summer so it doesn't exactly scream long term solution although he is playing well currently.
Source : Planet Rugby

Manu Tuilagi continues to attract interest from French Top 14 teams, and two rival clubs are set to battle it out for his signature.

Perpignan have already been linked with signing Tuilagi, where he would join up with his nephew Posolo Tuilagi and represent the same club his brother Henry did.

However, there is competition as the Premiership club wishes to retain his services, while Perpignan’s rivals Montpellier are also keen.

Montpellier are plotting a mass overturn of their playing squad and are set to release several stars and allow others to negotiate with clubs to secure an early departure.

According to a report by L’Equipe, Montpellier are keen to add Tuilagi to their squad.

The club have reportedly already tabled an offer to the England centre, one that they are “confident” could persuade the 32-year-old.

A move to France would make Tuilagi unavailable to England head coach Steve Borthwick beyond the June internationals.

However, the Montpellier bosses are hedging their bets as they are also lining up a move to sign Fijian Drua star Iosefo Masi in case they do not land Tuilagi’s signature, the report adds.

The moves for Tuilagi and Masi come after they missed out on signing Scotland star Huw Jones.
I wonder if there are any stats that show how many games we win when Manu is a starter, as to not starting. Would be completely random but maybe interesting? The reason I say this, is because I don't think he makes a massive difference (to my untrained eye).
dinogyro wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:00 pm
I wonder if there are any stats that show how many games we win when Manu is a starter, as to not starting. Would be completely random but maybe interesting? The reason I say this, is because I don't think he makes a massive difference (to my untrained eye).
IF (that's a big IF!!!) - we use him right he still attracts a lot of defense attention to create space for others - good example of this is a few years ago when we beat Exeter away and we seemed to have space at will.

That of course means we do backs move and make the oppo think he's a genuine option to get their attention.

When he doesn't play (and same goes back to Van Rensberg) we don't have someone who has the same impact or of course use one of the De Preez twins to same effect.

Be interesting to see how quins go without their big SA centre Andre as he does the same thing with the addition he can pass/kick
Sadly can only feel that Doherty will be released....never known whether he is a 12 direct runner or a 13 distributor, somehow feel he's struggled to develop a style of play when he's actually free from injury. Can see why SD wants him though as a squad player.
Alex wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:20 pm
RIL reporting that it's highly likely Manu will be off at the end of the season
Don't think it's surprising. If he were still being selected by SB to play then he may have signed a 1 year extension, but he's now out of the international picture in reality.

Does this mean we are joining the mad centre scramble with Quins and Leicester? Both currently going for Izzy Perese, with Sarries securing Spink.
Will be interesting to see who we're chasing

Tigers and Quins are supposedly vying for Waratahs centre/wing Izzy Perese
Porter and Scott both reportedly leaving Tigers - Scott north of the border, Porter back to Australia

If we're (potentially) losing Tuilagi, S.James and Doherty we'd probably need more than one signing - unless L.James shifts back there and Bedlow Jr is deemed ready for the step up
Falcons

Safe travel to all fans heading up!

Cliff

Heaton Moor 2nds 54 Congleton 2nds 17. KO 12 n[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]