By poyntonshark
It shouldn't really have been a surprise to anyone, that we use a high linespeed defence to apply pressure. That we cut out a significant proportion of attacking mistakes and actually took most of our opportunities, you could be forgiven for not expecting.
By LJK
Just watched the game properly and what a show! 80 mins. of high energy, quality rugby, albeit against a side who were clearly off to a bad start and Sale never let them back in. Having said that I wonder when others thought the win was definite, given how we have not played a whole game at 100% for some while? To me it was only after 10 mins. of the 2nd half had elapsed that I relaxed and enjoyed the game without concern.
So what was the difference this time...? An opposition having a mare, the re-appearance of Tom C, the referee or...… as Chris Ashton alluded to (and guess he should know) the Sanderson ethos gelling after the settling in period. AVDW said at the MOM interview about being a 'brotherhood' now. One of the Du Preez twins said something similar at his MOM interview recently, and though talk of 'playing for each other' is common enough in rugby, perhaps Sanderson has brought that extra bit of spark re the team, that was so evident when he was at Sarries.
Sale took advantage of the 'no pressure' situation of being given the Golden Ticket into the last 16, but now La Rochelle have seen us at our best, so will be ready for something hopefully similar. Will Sale then play in the same free way next weekend?

I was right about Faf and Jake Ball getting re-acquainted, but that was a cheap shot by the big man with a big beard. Mind you Faf likes winding up big men in red strip it seems, as he had another similar incident yesterday to the World Cup one, with a big forward wearing Scarlet. It is brilliant … he just lets his arms dangle like a rag doll and smiles at them.!
By stevene
well not sure i could have been more wrong and things couldnt have gone more right. get an early lead and scarlets being off the pace helped but intensity was great to see combined with some better execution. Having Tom Curry back was a massive positive in terms of having another leader on the pitch and having both his work rate and threat at the breakdown. Scarlets clearly thought they had this won off the team sheet and didnt earn the right to play how they wanted to play. Not sure about Akker as MoTM as early doors his lineouts (plural) were shockers but in the loose what a player. Having Rodd and Curry as jackals gives us quite a threat and great to see Wyn Jones getting a working over from Will Griff. regardless of the scoreline this was a game won on defensive intensity and by the pack. The Du Preez twins were immense and now Jean Luc appears to have his head on what a player he is again.
By Olyy
The way JLdP takes contact is crazy - doesn't go for the fend/handoff, he literally throws players instead
Never seen anything like it, it's almost comical the way he can toss these pro athletes around like they're a bag of laundry
By Yareet
stevene wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:14 pm
great to see Wyn Jones getting a working over from Will Griff.
On reflection I think that the person who gained most from the match was Joe Marler.

After the 6N, Wyn Jones was many people’s starting loosehead for the Lions. On yesterday’s showing, Marler would stroll into the team.
By Olyy
I'd he surprised if Marler made himself available for the Lions,
He's been fairly open about not wanting to be away from his family too much, and the Lions tour is a long one, and that's without the quarantine each side of the trip
WillC liked this
By Yareet
Olyy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:51 pm
He's been fairly open about not wanting to be away from his family too much, and the Lions tour is a long one, and that's without the quarantine each side of the trip
My guess is it will depend how tight the bubble is. If family can come over (even for some of the trip) I’d think he’d be more inclined. Plus he may also think this is his last chance to be a Lion.
Olyy liked this
By ageinghoody
Olyy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:51 pm
I suspect he may not be the only one. :thinking:
By poyntonshark
Olyy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:20 pm
The way JLdP takes contact is crazy - doesn't go for the fend/handoff, he literally throws players instead
Never seen anything like it, it's almost comical the way he can toss these pro athletes around like they're a bag of laundry
A quote in my commentary, which I think was the same as yours, as I note mention of Ashton, said JLDP was throwing Scarlets around like they were little children, and that came from a Welshman.
By Northshark
We used AJ properly and played to his strengths. He’s poor in the 10 channel so we moved him around where he’s more useful.

Thought Faf was mom

CLUTCHing at straws!
Probably the most complete performance by a 10 in recent times. 12/12 tackles completed (must be a record for a 10); 11/11 kicks ,4/4 effective field kicks (all from the 10 channel), 2 try assists (both from the 10 channel) and 1 try (not in the 10 channel -give you that one).
Extraordinary decision not to be man of match.
Flumpty liked this
By stevene
Northshark wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:34 pm
We used AJ properly and played to his strengths. He’s poor in the 10 channel so we moved him around where he’s more useful.

Thought Faf was mom

CLUTCHing at straws!
Probably the most complete performance by a 10 in recent times. 12/12 tackles completed (must be a record for a 10); 11/11 kicks ,4/4 effective field kicks (all from the 10 channel), 2 try assists (both from the 10 channel) and 1 try (not in the 10 channel -give you that one).
Extraordinary decision not to be man of match.
not sure I follow this despite you making some good individual points. You say AJ is poor in the 10 channel despite having 10 on his back and playing fly half but its the most complete performance by a 10 in recent times.

He was very (very) good yesterday. His kicking was superb. His show and go is his go to non kicking option. However that was behind a pack completely and utterly dominating the opposition who were beaten up and a 9 who had his best game for quite some time. I dont agree with much Ashton says and does but he has it right that Faf plays like a french 9.

What I would say is our pack wont always be that dominant as it was yesterday and Faf wont always make the right calls the majority of the time like yesterday. You are right that AJ struggles in the 10 channel as a traditional 10. Thats what I continue to struggle with despite the wow of a performance yesterday from him.

Not taking anything away from AJ but trying to be balanced. If that was the best performance from a 10 in recent memory (and not many over the past few years have been above average from anyone) then I would balance that by saying not many of our 10's have been given such an armchair ride by our pack and the opposition in recent memory either. I suspect he wont have such an armchair ride next week at the French seaside....
chris1850 liked this
By Clutch
Very good north shark!!

Think Stevene has answered perfectly on my behalf.

You can still be mom and lacking in some areas. Classic example was the show and go. Lovely from AJ but Curry I think is in the 10 channel firing out a well timed pass. Multiple examples across the game where we caused them problems where AJ wasn’t in the 10 channel cause he struggles with pass timing unless the best option is to release quickly (lovely pass to Yarde)

It’s about playing to a players strengths. We played how we did back from Fafs first season. The team needs to be back it up week in week out.

Don’t think it mattered who was mom. Anyone of 4-5 would have been fine. Everyone was excellent but for me we smashed them up front which is the principal reason behind the big win and Akker led the way in that regard (despite the odd dart issue) along with JLDP. Both half backs were superb off the back of that.
By stevene
Northshark wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:44 pm
The opening remarks was a quote from another contributor (Clutch).
My technology let me down.
fair enough but the point wasnt wrong (from my perspective) irrespective of how or not AJ is as a atypical 10 or how well he played at the weekend.
By Streatham Shark
Clutch wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:32 am
Very good north shark!!

Think Stevene has answered perfectly on my behalf.

You can still be mom and lacking in some areas. Classic example was the show and go. Lovely from AJ but Curry I think is in the 10 channel firing out a well timed pass. Multiple examples across the game where we caused them problems where AJ wasn’t in the 10 channel cause he struggles with pass timing unless the best option is to release quickly (lovely pass to Yarde)

Isn't that as much about how we use our pack on first phase off Faf to generate momentum and then, after one or two phases going wider through AJ or Sam? It's how we've tended to play this season at least, and when we've struggled it's because we've not been hitting the gainline aggressively through the pack/12 meaning that by the time the ball gets to AJ or the outside backs there are few options for the attack. It's not that unusual for a 10 to only get the ball on second phase in the modern game, as first up defences are now so good.
By Clutch
Absolutely. Quick ball and a fizzing 9 makes all the difference. If you watch the game he did fire some ropey passes from the 10 channel when trying to play to the structure. He’s better from wider for whatever reason. His passing timing is completely different. It’s not an issue if we accept that and coaches adapt to it. During Fafs first season AJ was excellent week in week out playing in this way. A great foil to Faf. AJ is like a special teams player at his best. He doesn’t touch the ball that often but when he does it’s golden. Not even counting the defence. He must have made 3-4 absolutely crucial one on one tackles when we were potentially in trouble.

Him and Faf just need to keep doing it. Not week in week out, but on a more consistent basis and in the big games.

Scarlets was a massive game and they both put in career best sale performances. And we will get better under Sanderson now he’s sorted the pack out. Exciting is an understatement.
Northshark liked this
By Northshark
Fully agree. Go forward ball is everything in rugby. By its nature and tempo, it plays havoc with even the most organised defence. It has been frustrating in recent times that our pattern of play has been slow and predictable.

Ronan O'Gara in his post match interview said that their focus is on "KBA" - keeping the ball alive . This is a step beyond the off-load concept. It is high risk rugby which produces brilliant tries and entertainment. They are very good at it.

However , i think that we can counter this with our high energy defence. It makes for a fascinating match. Quick wittedness is going to be vital and our fitness levels will be tested. More than in any match to date , the bench will play a massive role.
It can be done. Cup rugby is a different beast to a league. It is all about that slight edge over 80 minutes. Every kick, tackle , pass, decision counts . There is no next day. This is where the "brotherhood" comes in. It is mind over matter. You don't have to have the better players , you have to have the better team which means mentally tougher.

Can't wait.......and then Exeter v Leinster......what a feast!
By ShawShark
Olyy wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:58 pm
Short turn around for the next game: Saturday 3pm kickoff
I hope that some fans don't miss the first half as our website is showing the kick off time of 16.00 with no mention that it is CET not the time here.
By Van Cannonball
As with all my other ridiculous superstitions, I shall continue to watch on BT sport, just in case my changing channel causes us to lose...
Olyy liked this
By SixNineOne
It really doesn’t matter which channel you watch the game on, just as long as you’re wearing your lucky underpants...
By Surbiton_Shark
A very late final few thoughts on the match

Once again the horse showed how important he is for us. Time and time again he gets the ball in 'not ideal circumstances' but somehow manages to not get pushed into touch and just does enough work in contact to allow others to get to him and we retain possession plus his defense is great - in the first half he got through a load of work. It was a shame the one chance he had - he shelled the ball!

Finally - haven't really seen any stats of the match and the majority of focus was on AJ's point tally but his defensive work was off the charts - he must have made a pile of tackles and pretty important ones at that.
By Flumpty
HR1861 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:17 pm
But we’re those 12 tackles in the right channel?
12 out of 12 is all well and good - but what about the tackles that weren't completed, because he didn't make an attempt to make it. There was one in the 2nd half which was 50metres away from him and he didn't even attempt to make the tackle. very poor IMO.
A proper 10 would have anticipated where the ball was going to be over 10 mins beforehand and made sure that he already there, patiently waiting for the tacklee to throw himself at his feet.
Also, at times he doesn't smile enough and at other times, he smiles to much - I'm sure that it's something that he could work on that would help his performance. 32 points is OKish, but how many could he have got if he was any good .

my tongue is locked to my cheek.
Northshark, ageinghoody, poyntonshark and 1 others liked this
By stevene
This post is soooooo last week....

Flumpty wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:26 pm
HR1861 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:17 pm
But we’re those 12 tackles in the right channel?
12 out of 12 is all well and good - but what about the tackles that weren't completed, because he didn't make an attempt to make it. There was one in the 2nd half which was 50metres away from him and he didn't even attempt to make the tackle. very poor IMO.
A proper 10 would have anticipated where the ball was going to be over 10 mins beforehand and made sure that he already there, patiently waiting for the tacklee to throw himself at his feet.
Also, at times he doesn't smile enough and at other times, he smiles to much - I'm sure that it's something that he could work on that would help his performance. 32 points is OKish, but how many could he have got if he was any good .

my tongue is locked to my cheek.

(bloody) spade

I had assumed that when focus on attack was mentio[…]

Team vs Exeter

Is Reed on the naughty step (I thought he was go[…]

The full back berth is the one I'm more concerned […]