By Shireshark
1 try, 6 conversions (from 6) and 5 penalties (from 5). I know we've had a 93-0 win v Roma and I recall a 76-0 v Bristol, but is it just possible that 32 points is a record score for a Sale (Sharks) player in a match?
Olyy liked this
By Shireshark
Shireshark wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:13 pm
1 try, 6 conversions (from 6) and 5 penalties (from 5). I know we've had a 93-0 win v Roma and I recall a 76-0 v Bristol, but is it just possible that 32 points is a record score for a Sale (Sharks) player in a match?
Let me just qualify that quickly. I know Charlie Hodgson scored 34 points in a match for England in a 134-0 win v Romania. I obviously meant a Sale player playing for Sale. ;)
By ageinghoody
Shireshark wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:28 pm
Shireshark wrote:
Let me just qualify that quickly. I know Charlie Hodgson scored 34 points in a match for England in a 134-0 win v Romania. I obviously meant a Sale player playing for Sale. ;)
Just being picky, it was 44!
2 tries, 2 penalties and 14 conversions. :)
Record individual score on an England debut.
By poyntonshark
ageinghoody wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:48 pm
Isn't it a record score by an England player full stop?

[Max Boyce] I was there [/Max Boyce]
By DaveAitch
In terms of just Sale Sharks games (according to statbunker) the previous best was Charlie Hodgson in 2001 with 27 points against Leeds
By ageinghoody
poyntonshark wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 pm
ageinghoody wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:48 pm
Isn't it a record score by an England player full stop?

[Max Boyce] I was there [/Max Boyce]
Of course it is!

That "debut" thing was something I read somewhere, and now wonder why it was mentioned. :doh:
By Clutch
Would have been sweet to fling a drop goal in for the perfect set!!

Hopefully he can break the record again next week!!
By Lord Elpus
Shireshark wrote:
As far as I can discover the previous records were 26 points for Nick McLeod v El Salvador , 25 points for Perelini v Roma and 20 points for Tom Beim v Bristol Rugby.

In the El Salvador game Charlie kicked the first 3 cons otherwise Nick would have had 32 points (probably).
By chris1850
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:58 pm
My lad found Cips got 28 points versus Onnayax - two tries and kicked six conversions and two penalties
Cips. 8 successful kicks? That must have doubled his tally for the season
By DaveAitch
Comparing kicking success rates, figures taken from Statbunker.
Cipriani 78.4, MacGinty 80.7

Splitting into conversions and penalties
Cipriani 73.4, 83.7
MacGinty 72.5, 90

Conversions presumably are always taken and taken from wherever necessary, while penalties can be more selective. I'll leave the reader to come to his own conclusions.
By WillC
DaveAitch wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am

Cipriani 73.4, 83.7
MacGinty 72.5, 90

Conversions presumably are always taken and taken from wherever necessary, while penalties can be more selective. I'll leave the reader to come to his own conclusions.
Percentage success rate is only really a useful comparison if the total number kicks is similar. Did Cips do much place kicking at Gloucester?
By ageinghoody
WillC wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 am
DaveAitch wrote:

Cipriani 73.4, 83.7
MacGinty 72.5, 90

Percentage success rate is only really a useful comparison if the total number kicks is similar. Did Cips do much place kicking at Gloucester?
Not sure I entirely agree with that assertion Will.

Fair enough, trying to compare 50 kicks with 10 is clearly meaningless, but I'd contend that comparing 50 with 100 would be statistically valid.
By poyntonshark
Don't think it strictly true that they need to be similar numbers, just that both numbers should be sufficiently high to provide a representative sample.
By WillC
poyntonshark wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:17 am
Don't think it strictly true that they need to be similar numbers, just that both numbers should be sufficiently high to provide a representative sample.
fair point, but not knowing how many you are comparing IS relevant. It is also relevant (in my view) WHEN those kicks were taken - for example has Cips taken many place kicks in the last 2 seasons? He certainly hasn't taken any so far this season whilst AJ has been on pretty good form from the tee.
By Clutch
AJ isn’t a distance kicker so we rarely have a crack from a long way out which can distort stats. Mind you most teams don’t anymore bar being close to half time.
By DaveAitch
poyntonshark wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 am
Yes, current form obviously more relevant than career long form.
How current is current form. If we take just the last match then AJ MacGinty comes out with (I think) 66%, and arguably a lucky 66% at that, or do we make it just long enough to suit whatever point is trying to be made?

Addendum: it always seems to me that if anyone is really bothered about the number of kicks each has taken, he or she can always look the figures up. I would think, as with batsmen, that the middle of a long career tends to be the most productive. I shall leave it for someone else to see if that assertion is correct.
By ageinghoody
DaveAitch wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:06 pm
poyntonshark wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 am
Yes, current form obviously more relevant than career long form.
How current is current form. If we take just the last match then AJ MacGinty comes out with (I think) 66%, and arguably a lucky 66% at that, or do we make it just long enough to suit whatever point is trying to be made?
As Poynters said in his previous post to the one quoted, "numbers should be sufficiently high ... " etc. . Of course sufficiency will be an individual judgment, although I'd argue that no single match, good or bad, qualifies. 50% success in a howling gale with horizontal sleet may well be a very creditable result!
By IrishShark
DaveAitch wrote:

Cipriani 73.4, 83.7
MacGinty 72.5, 90

When with Sale, Cipriani's kicking rate was 275 from 384 so 71.6% from 101 games
Macginty's is at 264 from 322 so 81.9% from 82 games

Splitting into conversions and penalties at Sale
Cipriani 67.5, 75.1
MacGinty 74, 90.7
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]