By Olyy
Lord Elpus wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 pm
Who was motm anyway? TC?
I think so - vaguely remember someone saying that before I turned BT off, but I might be mis-remembering

Think my MOTM would've been DDP or McGuigan, but don't think anyone stood out massively in the game
By PappjeShark
Everything about that match encapsulates why I shiver at Sixways fixtures: we usually find a way to jeff it up. Except today, we managed not to, however hard we tried.

I do think Kitchener could’ve gone and am surprised it wasn’t even looked at. I also never saw a definitive analysis of whether the player was in touch in the move that led to the Shillcock try. Yet that’s to distract from how poor we were for 50 minutes or so.

However, Axe gambled with the big rotation and got away with it. The hallmark of sides that end up winning silverware is when they win despite fielding a side noticeably inferior to the first choice. Today we did that. It matters not a jot if we squeak past Worcs, Gloucester and Wasps by the skin of our teeth if the flip side is beating Bris and Exeter in the top of the table clashes. Not good for our heart rates, mind!

I also feel that the first 50 was important in giving Axe a feel for who is and isn’t ready to dislodge one of the full-strength starters. By definition, a heavily rotated side playing as poorly as they did suggests several of the changes didn’t put their hand up. Personally, I’d be surprised to see the Cliff/AJ combo starting much more this season. We typically either play off 9 in the Faf/AJ combo or 10 with Will/RdP. I think I’d rather see Quirke start with AJ if Faf isn’t.

5pts banked, onwards we go.
By JohnJ of HM
Three games back to back for me. Two of them (England Women and Sale) defintely squeaky bum time with me screaming at the telly. All serenity and calm watching Warrington beat Catalan. Cats didn't need to steer of me watching that one.
By LJK
The game today seemed to be a repeat of what was happening just a few weeks back i.e. a fast few minutes leading to nil points, leading to almost an hour of play where Sale didn't have much direction or dynamism. Then a late comeback of both, leading to a VERY squeaky bum time in the last few minutes.
Not sure we deserved to win that on balance, and but for Sam James's turnover at 85 mins. just a few metres from our line, we probably wouldn't have.
Good to see Doherty get his first (?) senior try and Coenie getting his first this season, but not sure anyone stood out, for the vast majority of the game. Despite constant criticism on here, Hammersley was very assured at the back, only making one mistake from a high ball, and even showed some pace on kick chases. When he was replaced by Luke James, it seemed to unravel at the back, leading to Warriors late try. Morozov hasn't had much game time of late but looks increasingly assured, so hope he gets a start soon.
By DavenportSharky
Despite some suggesting that the artificial pitch would suit us today I think that was one of our worst performances of recent months. I don’t think we have ever really liked artificial pitches, our performances at Saracens, Falcons or Warriors have usually been poor. I could have made a brew waiting for Cliff to shift the ball. We clearly decided to revert to the box kick in view of the strong wind but don’t think we benefited much. Reed had a half to forget. We had some bad bounces but stopping and watching Worcester go over was amateurish. We are vulnerable to counter rucking. Looked more lively when Raffi came on. Ashman seems to have a very good all round hooker game. I have seen nothing from TT in the last few years to suggest he is now better than the 3 incumbents. Sorry I did not see anything from Lawrence to justify England selection. I think Tom is so heavily involved all the time that adding captaincy may detract from his game. I think we approached the game with complacency and it almost backfired. Worcester looked devoid of confidence and ideas barring their hat trick star. They would be down and out if it were not for Covid. I think we should use the tap and dive more at close quarter penalties. I have aged quite a lot towards the end of a few matches recently.
By Olyy
Yeah, I thought Lawrence was excellent today

I hate to see players move away from their lower-table home clubs, but I'd love to see how he goes at a top 6 club
By poyntonshark
2 weeks on the trot now that Fox Sports have seen fit to not show our game live, I'm beginning to feel victimised. Thankfully the ever-excellent PremiershipTV site has full coverage videos up quicker this season than previously. Almost wished they hadn't bothered this week, was beginning to look as though my mention of Wuss being a potential banana skin was to come to fruition until Sam James made his first meaningful contribution to the game. In some ways, it is good to see that we can win a game after making so many changes, but you have to believe that so much of the result is down to Wuss' completely shot confidence. 3 of our closes 4 rivals have put an average of more than 50 points on them in the past 3 weeks. TO counter that Wuss made fewer silly mistakes against us than they have for a while. We were much improved in the second half and scored some good tries, but overall we were terrible. Difficult to pick anyone out as being especially bad or especially good. Individually we played like we were collectively playing early in the season, some short bursts of excellent rugby which punctuated extended periods of cluelessness. Can't remember who posted it, but I agree that we looked as though we believed that turning up was enough to win this game. Testament to the new era of the Axe that we shook that feeling off and just about held out to win.
@StalyShark
Wasn’t that a shoulder to AJ’s head then on the floor?
Yes it was. I don't think there was any malicious intent from Kitchener and he was wrapping his arm, but clearly contacted AJ's head with his shoulder, I think he may see some midweek trouble unless he has the same representation as Jake Ball.
@Olyy
Came off the bench today and won a penalty against Schoeman in his first scrum
Big Val actually gave away a free kick in his first scrum, for pushing early. But I agree with the sentiment, he is looking better and better. Coenie has stepped much closer to the mark these past two weeks too. The opposition tighthead, who will reputedly be with us next season is called Schonert BTW :giggle:
@RugbyMarvel
Both calls for Wiese in at the side at utter rubbish. He is forced to come in at angles on both occasions as Worcester player sitting on wrong side
The first one is debatable, the back feet of the ruck were those of a Wuss player, but he was on his knees so don't think he counts really, in which case Weise joined legally to my mind. For the second he was clearly in at the side, there was a wuss plyer on the ground beyond the tackle, but not interfering with play, Wiese would have had to go around him to join legally, but I don't think he was even aware he was there, he just hit the Wuss player over the ball, clearly not from behind the back feet.

Mr Ridley is not my favourite ref, obviously, if you have read my previous comments on him, there were still some pretty big errors from him this weekend IMHO. But he has improved quite a bit. His communication was excellent today, he was attentive to holding on to players at rucks and mauls, and told players from both sides to stop on more than one occasion. He also allowed the TMO to advise him properly. Previously he has watched through videos with the TMO yet still described as happening whatever supported his original decision. Today he changed his mind on TMO advice more than once. I think he still has a way to go, but English referee bosses have built an excellent bunch of refs, they obviously have good judgemement.
By Van Cannonball
Not sure anyone’s mentioned it but I also think the lack of fear of relegation did allow Worcs to keep flinging it about, which they’re actually quite good at, and not worry about intercepts etc.

Worcs only lost by 3 to a rotated Bristol not that far back and the last few games have given a bit of a distorted view of them IMO.
By stevene
key yesterday was the bench. there's subtracted ours added. we were pi55 poor before that pretty much to a man. all the subs added something including Coenie. Morozov deserves a start for me.

I am sorry but when FDK isnt playing Quirke needs to start from now on. Cliffy's ability to get the base of a ruck on time is getting worse. that combined with his lack of threat at the base massively outweighs his good speedy distribution when he does get to a ruck.

we are missing LDJ and Josh in the second row. Lineout definitely functions better when Langdon is throwing but for me both Akker and Ashman add more round the field. Doherty did ok and the biggest compliment I can offer him is he seems to have time (eg he has a clear head and is able to make good choices). Another score for Reed but defensively out of position a few time and not convinced he has that 'time' that Doherty appears to have. Deserves more chances though. JPDP helps at the lineout but needs to add more round the field. Wasnt Wiese's best game.
By StalyShark
Agree that Cliff’s time is up. Too slow, no threat around the ruck and his passes are too predictable. He’s only ever been a championship 9 (think he was only ever second choice at Bristol there too) who has benefited from being from our academy when we had no one coming through and as a cheap understudy to Faf. Always done his best for the club and will be a good club man however. If this isn’t his last season I’d be surprised as Faf, Quirke and Warr would be more than enough on current showing.
By Flumpty
Seeing Smirnoff (aka Morozov, aka Big Al) walking onto the pitch always makes me smile.
The sheer size of the man means that the oppo TH knows that there is going to be a dollop of "love and appreciation" coming his way.
Plus, now that he seems to have dropped his "brain farts", he seems to seek and destroy without giving away silly pens, yellows or reds.
By ageinghoody
poyntonshark wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:17 am
2 weeks on the trot now that Fox Sports have seen fit to not show our game live, I'm beginning to feel victimised. ...
And try to find a proper match report in the press!

At best there's an afterthought tagged on to someone else's game.
By DaveAitch
It never struck me that Morozov is that big, so I looked it up. If the figures on rugbypass are correct he is aslightly lighter than the average tighthead and almost a stone lighter than the average loosehead in the Premiership (other leagues are available).

As regards Worcester, a change in coaching philosophy has meant that they have been allowed to play with more freedom. It would be good if someone could do the same for Sale, but I suspect the current crop of players aren't naturally adventurous enough as a group. Mind you, the threat of not finishing top 4 could be the spur to playing winning but mostly pretty boring rugby.
By Van Cannonball
I’m pretty sure that Val is much leaner than most other props so even if lighter probably got more muscle! I think he’s definitely shown enough to be getting some starts.

Agree on Cliff / AJ as a no go combo. Given AJ is most likely the 10 through to the end of the season now, not sure we should see much of Cliff. However I do think we should recognise he was in form of his life last year and performed better than just the back up that many of us thought he was.
By Clutch
Coaching change? They were like that before Thomas stepped up.

We don’t have the players for an all expansive game yet. Lacking pace and explosivity out wide. That may change with the youngsters coming through but that’s a little while off yet.

Will be even more power when Manu and Rohan play together.
By FarnhamShark
Listening on the radio, the Worcester commentators thought Reed was a candidate for MoM. Probably just illustrates the lack of competition.
By Clutch
That’s pretty ludicrous. I like him a lot and we need to keep playing him but still a lot to learn.

Thought AJ played well ball in hand I have to say. Not easy playing next to Cliff as both aren’t the most creative but he did well. Pass to Curry was delayed, well timed and to the correct person. Not something you see that often from him in that position.

Curry got 9 from the rugby paper. Thought both twins went well as well.
By Northshark
by Clutch » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:06 pm:
"Thought AJ played well ball in hand I have to say. Not easy playing next to Cliff as both aren’t the most creative but he did well. Pass to Curry was delayed, well timed and to the correct person. Not something you see that often from him in that position."

Pass for Doherty try also very well timed and disguised. He has more to his game than he is given credit. On the match , phenomenal win in the context of the struggle to find a rhythm , the freak tries we conceded , plastic pitch which is even worse than Newcastle's, and an above average performance from Worcester evidenced by the fact that we had only 2 scrums all game (is that a record?).Again gritty. I like it.
Much needed break now and then to the final 5. I reckon that 13 points will do it. 4th place should be the target as Bristol away is more manageable than Exeter
By poyntonshark
According to that write-up, we can add an unexpected talent. It would appear that Tom does a very convincing impression of Sam James, haircut, shirt number the full monty.
By Warrior7
From a Wuss fan's perspective, Tom Curry was easily your best player on Saturday. Probably your best centre as well as forward.

Well played on Saturday, we just couldn't live with the power game of your bench plus TC and DDP. Hopefully we'll see that change next season with some proper additions to our pack, will hopefully be the missing cog to take us up the table a bit.
By Clutch
The danger is keeping your players. The big teams will come calling and if there is no relegation there’s less incentive to keep these players.

I’d have Lawrence as a priority signing. Hopefully Hill will stick around as he’s captain. Similar to us when we weren’t spending up to cap.
By Warrior7
Oh definitely, but the best way to get them to re-sign is by adding other quality players to the squad as well as climbing up the table. There is no possibility where Lawrence isn't a priority signing.

Hill is on a long term contract and unlikely to leave but we absolutely need to get better to keep Lawrence.

We have been assured that we are spending to the cap but I think the reason why we have a relatively poor squad is the allocation of that spending. Lots of players are probably getting paid above average to do a below average job, so hopefully this seasons re-structuring should alleviate that somewhat. We live in hope anyway.
By Clutch
Fingers crossed. The league needs Worcester to be doing well and competing. Supposed to be signing a few props by the sounds of it.

Vainu from wasps as well rumoured. Could be a good signing.
Warrior7 liked this
By Warrior7
Clutch wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:51 pm
Fingers crossed. The league needs Worcester to be doing well and competing. Supposed to be signing a few props by the sounds of it.

Vainu from wasps as well rumoured. Could be a good signing.
Cheers!

Yeah we definitely need to strengthen the pack. If the Owen Williams signing is true then that'll be the backs sorted.

Vailanu would make a great addition, even if for 20-30 mins off the bench. A tighthead to replace Schonert (if it's Furlong then I'll probably die of shock) and a top-class loosehead to (hopefully) raise Waller's game would be nice. Fingers also crossed for a big heavy lock, but that might be asking a bit too much!

Interesting how they rate this. Waisea Nayacal[…]

(Adam) Faith

Congratulations Morwenna

Morwenna Talling on the bench for England V Irelan[…]

Quins game

From what I remember from Axe's media talk before […]