By 45jumper
There is zero justification for not playing Smith this summer.
Not only is he thrilling with ball in hand but his goal kicking is brilliant as well.
Olyy, DaveAitch liked this
By Shaftesbury Shark
In attack yes but defence isn't really optional in an England shirt. Not saying Smith specifically was poor in defence, but both teams overall were.
When we played Quins recently, we scored a try when Rob du P I think it was targeted and just ran straight over Smith. I don't agree with it but I think this will essentially be the reason Eddie won't pick him, he wants someone more solid defensively at 10, and doesn't see the positives he would bring overcoming any relative weaknesses there. That's one of the reasons he loves Farrell, IMO.
By Yareet
Shaftesbury Shark wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm
In attack yes but defence isn't really optional in an England shirt. Not saying Smith specifically was poor in defence, but both teams overall were.
When we played Quins recently, we scored a try when Rob du P I think it was targeted and just ran straight over Smith. I don't agree with it but I think this will essentially be the reason Eddie won't pick him, he wants someone more solid defensively at 10, and doesn't see the positives he would bring overcoming any relative weaknesses there. That's one of the reasons he loves Farrell, IMO.
My counterargument to this is 30s into this video. Ford is still selected for England.

https://youtu.be/UXuVuFTtblQ?t=25
By Elgar
Faz is the best defensive 10 but doesn't always get selected at 10.

I don't really have a problem with Ford at 10 for England - imho England's problems are elsewhere - but I can't see how Smith can be overlooked a single fixture longer.
By DaveAitch
If Farrell would cut out his more stupid tackles (high, late or whatever) he would be significantly better: possibly the best defensive 10 around. Rugby is in a poor state, however, if 10s are being selected solely on the basis of which if them has the best defence.
iBozz liked this
By ale shark
I only watched the highlights but the Quins Wasps game was a bit of a mess, no one came out of it well. I'd prefer to judge Smith in a European knock out game against a French team. Quins got spanked at home by Racing 92 7-49 and he missed the QF against Ulster.

I'm sure he'll play in the summer for England and I'm looking forward to those games as much as the Lions.

Odogwu was selected for England based on a 52-44 result and spent 6 weeks holding a tackle bag.
By Olyy
Smith is very comfortably the best 10 in the country at the moment

If they want defence at 10 just play Courtney Lawes there, though he won't kick as much as Farrell and Ford were told to do so maybe EJ would prefer Jonny Hill instead
By Thekeg
ale shark wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:56 pm
I only watched the highlights but the Quins Wasps game was a bit of a mess, no one came out of it well. I'd prefer to judge Smith in a European knock out game against a French team. Quins got spanked at home by Racing 92 7-49 and he missed the QF against Ulster.

I'm sure he'll play in the summer for England and I'm looking forward to those games as much as the Lions.

Odogwu was selected for England based on a 52-44 result and spent 6 weeks holding a tackle bag.
I watched the Quins game live, haven’t seen the highlights, but I don’t think they are conveying what it was actually like. It wasn’t one of those high scoring contests that are Mickey Mouse, it was two teams properly going at each other. Yes there were errors, but plenty of quality too. Smith was excellent
Olyy liked this
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]