By Flumpty
If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all !
By Olyy
Bloody hell!

Hopefully non-symptomatic and a quick recovery for him (and anyone else who may have it)

Would be a real kick in the nards to work so hard to get back fit from serious injury in time for the Lions tour then miss out due to Covid
By StalyShark
O/T why does LRZ have 10 on his back? Missed first half.
By Olyy
StalyShark wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:27 pm
Big squad switch up pre-game due to covid,
Think they said LRZ didn't fit Watson's shirt and Farrell didn't fit Biggars so LRZ ended up with Biggars and Farrell had one with no number on (as did a couple of bench players)
StalyShark, iBozz liked this
By iBozz
StalyShark wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:27 pm

Good question. Farrell had no number on his shirt and (we counted, how sad is that?) we had no-one wearing 14.

Has Gatland conceived a Baldrick style Cunning Plan?
By Olyy
Tom starts vs SA A

Be interesting to see if he faces off against any team mates

I reckon JLdP and Coenie will be in the side - Lood too, if declared free of COVID

Shame for DdP as I reckon he would've been too
By Olyy
Boks going pretty much full strength (or as full strength as covid will allow atm)

Faf starts, Coenie on the bench as loosehead(!) cover
By StalyShark
Didn’t know we trained in Moss Side? Was that Greenwood having a shot in the dark?
By Olyy
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -stvw689rs

Barnes continuing to show that he doesn't actually watch the games he's paid to write about,

Thought Tom was excellent last night - I was watching a South African stream, as well, and the RSA commentary/pundits were gushing about how good he is/was, as well
By Yareet
Olyy wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:19 am
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -stvw689rs

Barnes continuing to show that he doesn't actually watch the games he's paid to write about,

Thought Tom was excellent last night - I was watching a South African stream, as well, and the RSA commentary/pundits were gushing about how good he is/was, as well
"Failing to make an impact" does seem rather at odds with Tom being voted Fans' MoM and getting an 8/10 from Planet Rugby. Plus Carling's tweet https://twitter.com/willcarling/status/ ... gr%5Etweet
By Surbiton_Shark
Thought Faf generally, for his tackling was very wild - he seemed to go for a lot of rush tackles and really leads in a 'dodgy' way. Never ever any doubt about his bravery/enthusiasm but perhaps a quiet word about the nature of his tackles would be good - the yellow card may highlight it - if he had connected with a few tackles he missed it also would have been dodgy.

Be bad if he doesn't play in the series due to yellow/red cards and/or suffers a bad injury
By ale shark
I’ve not read the article but Barnes is a fool. Tom cemented his place in the Test 23 yesterday and was one our most effective forwards. All my biased opinion of course!

Seen a bit of chatter that he might be an option at 8 given none of the 8s have been any good. Either way, I’d start Tom over Watson every time.
By Yareet
ale shark wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:35 pm
I’ve not read the article but Barnes is a fool. Tom cemented his place in the Test 23 yesterday and was one our most effective forwards. All my biased opinion of course!

Seen a bit of chatter that he might be an option at 8 given none of the 8s have been any good. Either way, I’d start Tom over Watson every time.
Wing or fullback? 🤣
By WillC
ale shark wrote:

I haven't been able to see the games - how has Simmonds looked?
By Olyy
WillC wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:34 pm
ale shark wrote:

I haven't been able to see the games - how has Simmonds looked?
Completely anonymous,

I predicted pre-tour he would be - he works fantastically well for Chiefs as their pack works very well together as a unit. Take J.Hill and Simmonds out of that well oiled machine and they don't have the same impact at international level
It's why I think EJ is right not to have him in the England squad.
WillC liked this
By Olyy
Jean-Luc and Coenie starting for SA 'A' this weekend!
By Yareet
Sadly, that looks more like an A XV. Let’s hope the boys can show why they should be first choice.
By Yareet
Yareet wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:08 pm
Sadly, that looks more like an A XV. Let’s hope the boys can show why they should be first choice.
Well that result won’t have helped their cause
By Olyy
Faf starts, Lood on the bench, for the first test:

Springboks to face British and Irish Lions: Willie le Roux, Cheslin Kolbe, Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Makazole Mapimpi, Handre Pollard, Faf de Klerk; Kwagga Smith, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi (captain), Franco Mostert, Eben Etzebeth, Trevor Nyakane, Bongi Mbonambi, Ox Nche.

Replacements: Malcolm Marx, Steven Kitshoff, Frans Malherbe, Lood de Jager, Rynhardt Elstadt, Herschel Jantjies, Elton Jantjies, Damian Willemse
By Olyy
Not sure if it's official (saw it on a fan account, not an official source) but apparently the Boks have trimmed 10 players from their squad including the twins and Coenie

Devastated for the twins, they're easily good enough to be in this Boks side (how Smith is starting at 8 over either of those, or Wiese, I'll never know) but that's a big big boost for us at the start of the season.

That said, even if it does hurt us, I hope they get recalled for The Rugby Championship (or the Autumn Internationals)
By DavenportSharky
Expected British & Irish Lions team to face South Africa
S Hogg; A Watson, E Daly, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, A Price; W Jones, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong, A W Jones (c), M Itoje, C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan.
Replacements K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, H Watson, I Henderson, C Murray, O Farrell.
By Olyy
Some good picks, but definitely some head scratchers

Beirne has been in better form for a while - arguably the player of the tournament in the 6N and has gone really well in the warmups. Lawes very lucky.

Leaving Adams out entirely is crazy to me, he's been the best back 3 player in the warmups
Hogg is lucky that Williams got the head knock early on in his start at 15 as I don't think he's been up to standard (and was dropped by Chiefs at the tailend of the season).
Watson has looked the best 15 on tour so far (I'd have had him at 15 and Adams on the wing)

Feel for George but it was a coin flip between him and Owens, as they've both played well, and Gatland going for the guy he knows better is understandable

Don't agree with AWJs inclusion, but ho-hum

I think the 6:2 bench will bite us in the bum, as it pretty much always does

Edit:
Leaked team was slightly different to actual:

Lions: Stuart Hogg; Anthony Watson, Elliot Daly, Robbie Henshaw, Duhan van der Merwe; Dan Biggar, Ali Price; Wyn Jones, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tadhg Furlong; Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones (capt); Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Jack Conan.

Reps: Ken Owens, Rory Sutherland, Kyle Sinckler, Tadhg Beirne, Hamish Watson, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Liam Williams.

Much happier with the 5:3 bench, but really feel for Henderson dropping out
By Yareet
Olyy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:06 am
Some good picks, but definitely some head scratchers

Beirne has been in better form for a while - arguably the player of the tournament in the 6N and has gone really well in the warmups. Lawes very lucky.

Leaving Adams out entirely is crazy to me, he's been the best back 3 player in the warmups
Hogg is lucky that Williams got the head knock early on in his start at 15 as I don't think he's been up to standard (and was dropped by Chiefs at the tailend of the season).
Watson has looked the best 15 on tour so far (I'd have had him at 15 and Adams on the wing)

Feel for George but it was a coin flip between him and Owens, as they've both played well, and Gatland going for the guy he knows better is understandable

Don't agree with AWJs inclusion, but ho-hum

I think the 6:2 bench will bite us in the bum, as it pretty much always does

Edit:
Leaked team was slightly different to actual:

Lions: Stuart Hogg; Anthony Watson, Elliot Daly, Robbie Henshaw, Duhan van der Merwe; Dan Biggar, Ali Price; Wyn Jones, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tadhg Furlong; Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones (capt); Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Jack Conan.

Reps: Ken Owens, Rory Sutherland, Kyle Sinckler, Tadhg Beirne, Hamish Watson, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Liam Williams.

Much happier with the 5:3 bench, but really feel for Henderson dropping out
Agree on Beirne and Adams. Not sure what they need to do to get into the team. Adams is particularly surprising. Watson (and to a much lesser extent Daly) covers 15 so there is less need for a 15/wing. Have an out and out winger instead.

As he's a Manc, can we claim H Watson as one of ours? :mrgreen:
By stevene
Hogg is lucky. Williams is a better full back at the moment. Not sure why he isnt starting.
Watson good for me. However Adams unlucky and would have had watson on the bench.
Daly. Fortunate. selected on ability over form (Harris).
Henshaw. Probably the right balance. Could have seen Farrell here if Russell was at 10.
Van der Merwe. Gats like a unit on the wing. wild card pick definitely.
Biggar. gutted that Finn Russell isnt available. Biggar is a decent replacement but Russell could have given the Lions a bit of something different at 10.
Price. Right call. Wrong call to make Murray captain when AWJ got injured.
Wyn Jones. Fair enough.
Cowan Dickie. would have gone with George and LCD on the bench. Owens isnt a patch on either.
Furlong. What a player.
Itoje. as above
AWJ. well he had to play. However selecting AWJ means you need another lineout option at 6 against the Boks. Great in the tight and a great leader.
Lawes. A Gats type player. Personally would have gone with Beirne.
Curry. What a player.
Conan. Faletau would be my selection but can see why he has gone with Conan as a big carrier with a Lawes/ Curry 6 and 7.

Sutherland. Fair enough.
Owens. No idea. Gats favourite.
Sinkler. Probably not getting selected gave him the kick up the proverbial he needed.
Beirne. should be in starting for Lawes for me.
Watson. Good option for Curry off the bench.
Murray. Davies is a better bench option.
Farrell. Decent bench option for 10. Not at 12 if Biggar is on the pitch, too similar.
Williams. should be in at 15. Hogg should be carrying water. watson on the bench and adams on the wing.
By IrishShark
stevene wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:33 pm
Daly. Fortunate. selected on ability over form (Harris).
Personally I think Daly is coming into form and nothing I've seen Harris do so far has been anything to write home about.
By Clutch
As much as a like Harris he isn’t a starting Lion. Daly the right call all in all. Beirne v Lawes is more about how you want to play. One player isn’t better than the other.

Adams is unlucky but his form was against terrible opposition to be fair. Again not convinced he’s Lions starting quality.

Not sure how much form and and should count bar the A game.

Don’t get Owens over George but he’s still a good player. Hogg has it all to prove.

What an opportunity for Conan. No one would have had him down as a starting Lion. He was a slight surprise to start.

AWJ is a machine but I think it could backfire.
By DavenportSharky
Any team that can dismiss the DP twins and only select Wiese once must be some team. I anticipate a 3 nil Boks win. The starting front row for the Boks is probably weaker than their bench front row. Ours is the other way round. I think the last 20 minutes may be uncomfortable at scrum time. Many pundits say the scrum is less prominent these days and although there are generally fewer, if one starts getting the upper hand then scrums are requested at every option often leading to a yellow.
Lots of people on other sites moaning that Tom is selected over Watson. Watson is international class but Tom is World class.
Can AWJ really have fully dislocated his shoulder? I suspect a lesser injury used as a psychological weapon to worry the Boks and enhance his God like status in the Lions camp. Pushing against the Boks scrum is surely the test? One thing is certain is that a dislocated shoulder is likely to redislocate if not operated on.
With no further midweek games quite a few will now just be sparring partners for the selected. Difficult to press your case from now on.
So sad not to be there and waiting for the return of my deposit. They are already accepting applications for priority passes for booking for Australia 2026. Yours for £300 which is refunded on booking. Hoping that the stands will be full for that.
By IrishShark
ale shark wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:07 pm
Is it a home (SA) ref on Saturday?
The tests will all have impartial refs, Nic Berry (Australia), Ben O'Keeffe :doh: (New Zealand) and Mathieu Raynal (France).
By poyntonshark
Feels a bit like Gatland getting his excuses in early, the way he has allegedly kicked off about this. I agree it is not great planning to be left in the position of not being able to get in a neutral TMO, but we are all surely aware that people can't just jet in from anywhere at a moments notice these days. Being so upset is tantamount to calling Mr Jonkers a cheat before a ball has even been kicked. As for said Mr Jonkers, I never rated him as a referee, but when I have seen him as TMO he has been fine.
Olyy, SimonG, iBozz liked this
By HR1861
Why can’t they do the TMO role remotely - they do it from a van in the car park in football?
By pitprop
Poynters, how did you assess the Faf incident in the A game, in particular the officials commentary?
By poyntonshark
I haven't seen it, due to my unwillingness to fund theAustralian broadcaster.
By StalyShark
He’s on. Wonder if his exaggerated blink is a tick.
By dinogyro
Only saw it briefly on the C4 highlights programme. Was there any arm-wrapping? Looked slightly dodgy at first (brief) look.
By Olyy
Another start for Tom

SOUTH AFRICA v THE BRITISH & IRISH LIONS
15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs, Scotland) #783
14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, England) #816
13. Chris Harris (Gloucester Rugby, Scotland) #844
12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841
10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821
9. Conor Murray (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790
1. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) #787
2. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825
5. Alun Wyn Jones – captain (Ospreys, Wales) #761
6. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, England) #826
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853
8. Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839

Replacements:
16. Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829
17. Rory Sutherland (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #840
18. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814
19. Tadhg Beirne (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #838
20. Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby, Wales) #779
21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843
22. Owen Farrell (Saracens, England) #780
23. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822
By Olyy
Faf starts and Lood benches for the Boks, again, too

Wiese starts at 8, so we've the family connection there as well

South Africa (v British & Irish Lions)
15: Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz, 63 caps)
14: Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse, 15 caps)
13: Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks, 16 caps)
12: Damian de Allende (Munster, 48 caps)
11: Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks, 15 caps)
10: Handré Pollard (vice-captain, Montpellier, 50 caps)
9: Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, 31 caps)
1: Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers, 49 caps)
2: Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers, 38 caps)
3: Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers, 40 caps)
4: Eben Etzebeth (Toulon, 87 caps)
5: Franco Mostert (Honda Heat, 41 caps)
6: Siya Kolisi (captain, Cell C Sharks, 52 caps) – captain
7: Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Stormers, 57 caps)
8: Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)

Replacements:
16: Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears, 35 caps)
17: Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls, 44 caps)
18: Vincent Koch (Saracens, 21 caps)
19: Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks, 46 caps)
20: Marco van Staden (Vodacom Bulls, 3 caps)
21: Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo, 8 caps)
22: Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers, 12 caps)
23: Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers, 8 caps)
By StalyShark
Who is Sam Curry?! A secret third twin?! Explains their work rate.
Olyy liked this
By poyntonshark
StalyShark wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:38 pm
Who is Sam Curry?! A secret third twin?! Explains their work rate.
Third twin? There should be a word for that.
By Olyy
A classic Warren Gatland coached game

No answer to getting outmuscled up front
Is there even an attack coach on tour?

Think the Boks will comfortably win next week - caught them cold last week but they're warming up now
ledzepsfr liked this
By StalyShark
Seemed to have no ideas. Watson has played himself out of the team, terrible under the high ball. Need some spark for next week.
Bucks1861 liked this
By Olyy
Whole back 3 was poor,

Duhan probably has enough credit in the bank from the last few weeks to survive but Hogg has been off form for a while and was dreadful today - Adams on the wing and Williams at 15 for me

Bench was very poor - Jamie George has to come in for Owens (I'd start him tbh), and Henderson needs to be involved
Bucks1861, ale shark liked this
By poyntonshark
Seemed almost as though Lions wanted to make it an exciting finish next week. Did nothing of note in attack. Really didn't understand the second half tactic of hoofing the ball high, the best we got out of a kick was nothing, we lost on most.
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]