By Olyy
StalyShark wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:42 pm
Langdon on too but no idea who for!
On for Rohan, maybe?
I've very much lost track

Edit: Nope Rohan is still there in the huddle,
Don't recognise the #21
Last edited by Olyy on Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By StalyShark
Olyy wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:53 pm
chris1850 wrote:
Stream froze for 10 mins. Why are we on uncontested scrums?
Think both Treviso looseheads went off injured
Starting one couldn’t handle Schonert. Didn’t see another.
By Olyy
StalyShark wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:58 pm
Olyy wrote:
chris1850 wrote:
Stream froze for 10 mins. Why are we on uncontested scrums?
Think both Treviso looseheads went off injured
Starting one couldn’t handle Schonert. Didn’t see another.
No 17 went off very early in the second half after a lengthy injury break

While it's disappointing not to see Carpenter at fullback it is interesting to see Roebuck is considered an option there,
Not sure what his boot is like but he's good under the high ball and is pretty tall as well, which helps for competing there
By Olyy
Very impressed with the livestream,
Best quality I've seen of any this pre season, multiple camera angles, good direction etc

Weird old game, as most preseasons are, but good to get the lungs working and blood pumping through the legs
Would've liked to have seen McIntyre on, especially as Ross came back on in the 2nd

Lineout a big worry in the first half, I reckon TT will start next week as he took all the lineouts in the second half even with Langdon and Ashman on
Though, if it were me, I'd start Langdon
By dinogyro
StalyShark wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:11 pm
chris1850 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:09 pm
Who's our Tom Wood lookalike at 20?
Rouban Birch. Was released this time last year and must be back in training at least.
He looks very good. Keen to get in the action and looks around to see what is happening.
By chris1850
My wife tried Google Translate on the commentary at one point. This was the result:

"Come on, we will find the sent I speak and we made it we have the life to show the beautiful things the photos of the grandmother who is great helps the healthy competition and it is true. Then so many new companions would always compare with the clothes."
By DavenportSharky
Akker is in danger of not being in the 23. The 2 targets he seemed to prefer last year were JP and Cobus- the 2 who he could not find tonight. Why does he not throw to the front when he struggles??
By PappjeShark
Re Birch, did I see something on Twitter the other day that he was one of a few players dual registered and due to spend time playing with Coventry (the real one that is, not our old boy network)?

And with Dugdale returning last season, it strikes me that we’re unwinding some of the bonfire of the Academy that seemed to follow after the season before last and which seemed to be affected by the combination of covid whacking the economics and the revision of all the first -team contracts (can’t recall precisely what drove the latter). Though whatever the reason, great for both players and club if they’re back in the fold and looking promising.

Any thoughts on Denny playing 15? Saw a bit of chat about that on Twitter last night.
By Olyy
AJ starting for USA this weekend, which is great to see
PappjeShark wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:51 am

Any thoughts on Denny playing 15? Saw a bit of chat about that on Twitter last night.
Fairly sure it was Roebuck at 15
Denny was coming in field looking for the ball a lot but did seem to be on the right wing
By StalyShark
DavenportSharky wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:01 pm
Akker is in danger of not being in the 23. The 2 targets he seemed to prefer last year were JP and Cobus- the 2 who he could not find tonight. Why does he not throw to the front when he struggles??
Can see Akker being used at 6, Jono looks like he’ll be playing 8 for now, especially now Postlethwaite seems injured and Beaumont will probably have to go into the seconds.

Not sure these two games told us much about the starting team for next week. Why did RdP not play? Injured? Out of favour? No idea.

Here’s my guess:

Rodd
Taylor
Schonert
JP
Wiese
Nield
Ben
Jono
Raffi
RdP
Yarde
Manu
Sam
Byron
Luke

Langdon
Harrison
Ford if not Coenie
Phillips if not concust. Birch? Bit of a problem
Akker
Cliff
Wilkinson
Rohan
By Olyy
I reckon Ben will play 6, even when Dugdale went off last night Ben stayed at blindside
My guess is a Ben/Dugdale/Ross backrow being our first choice atm

My guess at Axes team (not necessarily who I'd pick), presuming Beaumont is out:

Rodd, Akker, Schoenert
Wiese, JP
Ben, Dugdale, Ross
Raffi, RdP
Yarde, Rohan, Manu, Byron
Hammersley

Taylor, Harrison, Oosthuizen, Philips (Postlethwaite if injured), Neild, Cliff, Wilkinson, Reed (maybe Denny)
By Olyy
Clutch wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:41 am
You could be right but I’d expect Neild to start.
I wouldn't be surprised at that, and would be my choice too - just not sure if they'd throw him in for a start when he's been out injured for a while
By dinogyro
Not a young-un, but I thought Will did very well. His kicking was much more controlled and got some good height which enabled a bit of a chase, even though we still seem a bit poor at that.

Will isn't the running attacking threat of Raffi or Faff, but it would still be worth him starting, I think.

It was all a bit difficult to tell what was going on with all the players coming on/off and not having an English commentary (come back Ugo?).

The second half combo seems to work better together, although with the uncontested scrums it's hard to judge accurately.
By Olyy
45jumper wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:26 am
Any particular stand-outs last night? How did the young lads do at 10?
Schoenert was a real standout - if he brings that scrummaging form to the prem then he's worth his weight in gold
Got a cut on his eyebrow that kept requiring stoppage (not sure if he got it in last week's game - seemed to be leaking almost instantly this game), hopefully we can get that properly stitched up for this weekend

As mentioned earlier on the thread: JPdP has added some bulk to his frame, and looks a better player for it. I did have concerns about him in the tight, before, but he played very well and was part of a completely dominant scrum

Dugdale better than I remember at the ruck, won a few penalties/turnovers

Wilkinson was good but not standout - don't remember him doing anything wrong, and he nailed his kicks
Looked composed, and has a nice miss pass in his arsenal

Between the uncontested scrums and a million substitutions it's hard to really get a feel for how players played in the second half
By Flumpty
& a Mention In Dispatches for Arron Reed. He really put himself about and was a real PITA to the receiving Benetton players in the kick chase.
By eBike
Any news on Philips ?

He appeared to be in some distress immediately after the incident and clearly took one hell of a blow to the jaw. Fingers crossed that he's OK.
By Flumpty
eBike wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:00 pm
Any news on Philips ?

He appeared to be in some distress immediately after the incident and clearly took one hell of a blow to the jaw. Fingers crossed that he's OK.

I always think that Philips is like the Terminator - but last night he looked like he'd really taken a hard knock. I hope that the Postman is going to be OK
By Thekeg
dinogyro wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:05 am
Not a young-un, but I thought Will did very well. His kicking was much more controlled and got some good height which enabled a bit of a chase, even though we still seem a bit poor at that.

Will isn't the running attacking threat of Raffi or Faff, but it would still be worth him starting, I think.

It was all a bit difficult to tell what was going on with all the players coming on/off and not having an English commentary (come back Ugo?).

The second half combo seems to work better together, although with the uncontested scrums it's hard to judge accurately.
Thought he kicked really well in that second half
By Thekeg
eBike wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:00 pm
Any news on Philips ?

There was a lot of blood, looked like a loss of teeth or he’d bitten his tongue rather than a break
By PappjeShark
Olyy wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:54 am
AJ starting for USA this weekend, which is great to see
PappjeShark wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:51 am

Fairly sure it was Roebuck at 15
Denny was coming in field looking for the ball a lot but did seem to be on the right wing
Cheers Olyy, I wasn’t watching and was picking up on Twitter scraps so was maybe conjecture rather than him actually playing there.
By Olyy
Jono confirmed as club captain for the season,
Not that surprised - the other options are Tom and Faf (based on last seasons captaincy selections), neither of whom are available for a while/won't be available for international periods

iBozz, Bronzbronx liked this
Falcons

Their team doesn't look that bad on paper. bu[…]

Tom Curry OMG

I just hope he takes his time and is patient. Jus[…]

No intrusion at all. Come on in - the waters love[…]

Queen