By Olyy
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ks-85-per/

Magic number is 85% of players and staff for relaxed rules from the RFU/PRL (I'm guessing everyone's still doing modified training/gym sessions atm?)

All the DoRs interviewed in that article (Axe, Skivington, Hooper and Borthwick) say they're on track,

Axe says they've been "brutally honest" with the squad in saying that while not getting vaccinated is a personal choice it could effect selection and even employment, down the line, and the club doctors have been combatting vaccine disinformation and been communicating with players

Glad to see we're taking a strong stance on it - I noticed that Faf has been promoting the South Africa vaccine roll out on his social media, encouraging people to get jabbed.
iBozz, 45jumper, eBike and 2 others liked this
By Olyy
FarnhamShark wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:41 am
In view of the non-stop physical contact the sport requires, I'm surprised it's not 100%.
I guess they have to leave a little bit of wiggle room for people who have legitimate medical reasons for not getting the vaccine
By chris1850
Olyy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:02 pm
FarnhamShark wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:41 am
In view of the non-stop physical contact the sport requires, I'm surprised it's not 100%.
I guess they have to leave a little bit of wiggle room for people who have legitimate medical reasons for not getting the vaccine
Or those that play for Exeter......
By SixNineOne
Even so, 85% is a shockingly low target for organisations whose staff are way fitter than almost any other business you might be able to think of. Failure to meet that target would be a sad indictment for a club.
By DavenportSharky
It’s an interesting contrast that you can say what you want legally about Covid and vaccines which could cost lives but say anything against many other minority views and you are pilloried. Top sportsmen should really keep their opinions to themselves as they are major influencers of the young and less wise.

This is an interesting review:-

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... omarch2021.

It’s always important to remember that almost half of the population have below average intelligence. Many people have no real understanding about how their body works, about infection and how it’s prevented. A lot of the government’s and it’s advisors mistakes have been presuming that everyone is reasonably intelligent and understands basic biology, epidemiology and public health. The most obvious example is face masks. Worn by health professionals with strict hygiene training in ITU situations they are useful. Worn by the average person walking around Tesco they are constantly touched, filthy from repeated use and suspended from their lower jaw. Suggesting that masks be worn in the open air is even more ridiculous.
By ledzepsfr
SixNineOne wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:46 pm
Even so, 85% is a shockingly low target for organisations whose staff are way fitter than almost any other business you might be able to think of. Failure to meet that target would be a sad indictment for a club.
I would think that 85% would include all playing staff. 15% of admin/ground staff/ peripherals is not big percentage IMO
By SixNineOne
ledzepsfr wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:00 am
SixNineOne wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:46 pm
I would think that 85% would include all playing staff. 15% of admin/ground staff/ peripherals is not big percentage IMO
I assumed that the 85% threshold included both players and support staff. My point is that the average level of fitness for the staff as a whole should be very high, so there should be very few, if any, of them who would have a valid medical reason not to get vaccinated. In that context 85% looked very low to me!
By DavenportSharky
Still quite a few antibodies hanging about for those who caught Covid 10 months ago.
As I’ve said umpteen times before the threat of long Covid would worry me if I was a professional athlete.
Which Tyler liked this
By Elgar
Potential for any employer to more than less mandate a vaccine on the grounds of protecting the rest of the work force is reasonably well understood now and I would think a working environment like a rugby club would be as good a case (for an employer insisting on vaccination) as any.

An interesting development might be a negligence claim against club and / or player if one club has an outbreak that's costly in league points and could be deemed to originate from another club's unvaccinated player.
iBozz liked this
By eBike
At a tangent......

Having just arranged a hotel in Swansea for the Ospreys game in mid December the Welsh Government has announced that Covid Passes/Passports will be required for any stadium event of greater than 10,000 as of October 11th.

"The pass will be needed for clubs, indoor no-seating events with more than 500 people and outdoor no-seating events with more than 4,000 people.
It will also be required for any event with more than 10,000 people."

Better get the paperwork done and install the NHS App.............. :brickwall:
By ageinghoody
Elgar wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:17 am
An interesting development might be a negligence claim against club and / or player if one club has an outbreak that's costly in league points and could be deemed to originate from another club's unvaccinated player.
I'd have thought that was a non-starter, if the "defendant" club can show it complied with RFU/PRL requirements.
By iBozz
eBike wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:21 pm
At a tangent......

Having just arranged a hotel in Swansea for the Ospreys game in mid December the Welsh Government has announced that Covid Passes/Passports will be required for any stadium event of greater than 10,000 as of October 11th.

"The pass will be needed for clubs, indoor no-seating events with more than 500 people and outdoor no-seating events with more than 4,000 people.
It will also be required for any event with more than 10,000 people."

Better get the paperwork done and install the NHS App.............. :brickwall:

The NHS app (not the NHS Covid app) can be a bit of a barsteward to set up the first time because it has a number of security checks built in to make sure that it really is you getting access to your medical records. Once done, however, getting the certificate is a piece of cake and, each time you update it, it runs for a further month.

My then nine year old Granddaughter made me get a smartphone during lockdown (she's a feisty young Lady and she scares the hell out of me, woe betide the Grandfather who doesn't act on her suggestions with alacrity) and the NHS Certificate is about the only thing I've found it "essential" for! That and WhatsApp, of course, which is why she forced me to buy it in the first place.
Olyy liked this
By Elgar
ageinghoody wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:43 pm
Elgar wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:17 am
I'd have thought that was a non-starter, if the "defendant" club can show it complied with RFU/PRL requirements.

I think you're right that it would be a non-starter if there were RFU "requirements" or "regulations" as to how many of a 23 must be vaccinated and no more than x% of a 23 may be unvaccinated. Or something of that nature. And the relevant club complied.

But the subject matter of the telegraph article originally linked to was RFU "guidance" which is much looser than that.

Compliance with loose 'guidance' on good or safe practice seems to me a much lesser defence, generally speaking to a tortious claim, than compliance with clear and strict 'regulation' on good or safe practice.

We may see in time.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]