Sitting behind someone with a Chiefs headdress on will not be fun but I can’t think that many people will have made a complaint that they are offended.
The image of Coenie or Cobus running round dressed in some sheer nylon does not sit well with me but if it is needed for protection against artificial pitches then the answer is to dump the pitches.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... eaddresses
DavenportSharky wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:05 pm
but I can’t think that many people will have made a complaint that they are offended.
Multiple Native American organisations have said they find it offensive and asked them to change,
Imo that's the end of the discussion.

Agreed on the 4G part - I understand how good they are for the grassroots clubs but they should be banned at pro level - there's a million and one other stadium hoops that clubs have to jump through, add that one on too
Olyy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:08 pm
DavenportSharky wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:05 pm
but I can’t think that many people will have made a complaint that they are offended.
Multiple Native American organisations have said they find it offensive and asked them to change,
Imo that's the end of the discussion.
Totally agree. Why can't "we" (rugby) just be the bigger party about this. The 'subjective offensiveness' of the thing might be highly debatable on a number of grounds but for me that entirely misses the point.
From the Guardian article "World Rugby, meanwhile, has announced that players at all levels can wear tights or leggings for matches with immediate effect. Currently permissible for women, the announcement has been made on welfare and accessibility grounds, not least to prevent players suffering nasty abrasions on artificial surfaces that are now commonplace in the sport."

But no mentions of stocking and suspenders - all very blatantly "lingerieist" if you ask me.

Putting on my serious head, it will have a very positive effect on youngsters playing the game in Winter. Even more so since the 50:50 rules were adopted.
"Leg/arm strapping is allowed."

Elbows were easily taken care of, just wear long sleeve shirts. Knees, wear an elasticated knee support, "because you have a dicky knee".
I wonder, too, if one can still wear rugby socks over the knee. This was something some players, particularly scrum-halves, used to do if the playing surface was particularly hard.
Interesting segment on Rugby Tonight about this. Two contributors who were native American against the use of headdresses. However, they were willing to engage with Exeter and rugby as a whole to find some common ground.

At this point, I would like to say how fantastic rugby supporters are. I am Asian and I have never had any problems coming to watch Sale. At the Bath match, I had a good chat with a Tigers and a Bath supporter on the tram back to my hotel and at this week's game I had a chat with a couple of Quins supporters pre-match, then another Tigers supporter post-match. Just lovely people, full of the joy of rugby. Contrast this with the times (3) I have accidentally been in the company of football fans and have been physically threatened. I do hope rugby will continue to be an inclusive sport.
SimonG, iBozz, Surbiton_Shark and 3 others liked this
I have no problem with the use of the word Chief(s).

It's originally derived from French, simply means "head" or "leader", and certainly wasn't used by Native Americans to describe their tribal leaders until English was imposed on them. So no question of appropriation there, but I'd have been apppalled if anyone had chosen, say, "Sagamore(s)", an Algonquin word, even if it was nicely alliterative.

I find the caricature, stereotype logo, and the "wardance" jingles utterly tone-deaf and indefensible.

That part of the country still largely considers itself "Celtic" and the Celts had chiefs, so by all means keep the name. Then there are many artists impressions of what historians believe Celtic chiefs looked like. Here's just one example which I'd suggest wouldn't need much adaptation of the existing logo to create one based on their/our own history, rather than parodying someone else's.

http://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/3558
Elgar, DaveAitch liked this
[*]e
ShawSharkRedemption wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:31 am
Isn't that just a parody of Asterix the Gaul ?
More cultural mis-appropriation.
Gauls were Celts/Britons, just like their cousins across the Channel! that's one reason why that bit of land is called Bretagne or Brittany!

So that figure and Asterix are both just artists' historical representations, by Toutatis! :lol
ageinghoody wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:47 am
[*]e
ShawSharkRedemption wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:31 am
Isn't that just a parody of Asterix the Gaul ?
More cultural mis-appropriation.
Gauls were Celts/Britons, just like their cousins across the Channel! that's one reason why that bit of land is called Bretagne or Brittany!

So that figure and Asterix are both just artists' historical representations, by Toutatis! :lol
Not quite - the Gauls were Gauls, no relation to the Brythonic tribes of (at least) West Britannia. The reason Brittany is literally "Little Britain" is because there was an exodus of Britons there at the end of the Roman Empire. All that said, I personally wouldn't object to Exeter having to run out dressed as Vercingetorix and the lads. It's preferable to a onesie at any rate.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]