By Olyy
Damn, that really wouldn't be good at all!

Joe Simpson to make us his fourth club of the year? :thinking:

Not sure where we'd find a replacement - with the SA sides now in the Pro 14 there's no break in between seasons to get a loaner in
Not sure when Super Rugby kicks off, to try tempt an Aussie or Kiwi
Be a tough ask to find anyone anywhere near Fafs level on short notice

Maybe we'll see what Embrose Papier is up to? He stepped in during the RWC
By Elgar
Not good to see.

But if the worse outcome happens, do we need a replacement? Quirke is IMHO more than ready to step up to be first choice. If he's unavailable, we've still got Cliff and Warr. If we don't trust Cliff then we shouldn't have re-signed him. I think we'd all be pretty excited about Warr's future if it weren't for how ridiculously good Quirke is. If this isn't the chance to play Warr then I don't know what would be.

All that said.... Papier was fantastic!
By Surbiton_Shark
I think we're good with the 3 we have. I don't know if Cliff is injured at the moment? if he breaks down then we would be in trouble.

Quirke is scarily good though we need to remember how young he is and how much we ask from our 9's. Certainly in the last few minutes of the Gloucs game - Warr really added some impetus. If you want the centres to have quick ball - Warr>Curtis gives rapid service
Elgar liked this
By RinTin
Long time follower, first time poster.

Disappointing news re Faf. Article I saw suggests SA didn't allow ample time for the injury to heal post Lions tour. But there we go.

Chris Cook perhaps from Saints? Hell of a player at Bath, but lost his way at Bristol when he went there 2 seasons ago. He's not played for Saints yet either, so perhaps an option. he has plenty of experience too.
By Olyy
Quirke looked like his injury was still bothering him on the weekend - heavily strapped knee and surrounded by medics at multiple points

Suppose it depends on the length of the surgery recovery - if it's a few months we can plough on, whole season?
If we're looking for top 4/grand final then I'm not as sure
Top tier Europe will take it's toll on the players, and also the return of the LV= cup (where Warr and Cliff were presumably pencilled in to play 9)
It'll be tough to juggle game time
By Clutch
We don’t need a replacement. Papier was quick but nowt else and Cook Is mediocre at best. Keep developing Warr and who knows if Thomas will be ready. He’s in the big squad.
By RinTin
Clutch - So persevere with 2 rookie scrum halves for a lengthy period? Personally I think short term cover, like Simpson at Bath, is a necessity. Given our rotten luck with injuries to front line players we can't be naive with this.
By Elgar
If Cliff will be unavailable for more than a couple of weeks then we may need to get someone on very short term cover for Quirke being away with England. But query whether anyone available on that notice would be better than giving a go to whoever is the most senior 9 in the academy below Warr (even if they aren't even a full time pro just yet).

I don't think the article suggested Cliff's injury was likely long term.

If Faf's injury is long term and Quirke is in the 6 nations squad, I suppose that then leaves us in a similar position during the 6 nations. Maybe there's time to sign someone of decent quality for that period (certainly wouldn't be against Jo Simpson for that). But if it comes down to the business end of the season and we've "only" got Quirke supported by Cliff and Warr, then I'd say we'd be in a good position.
By Flumpty
Fingers crossed that Faf is OK, as having to run with only 2 #9's isn't a realistic option.
By Olyy
Wow, I really wasn't expecting to see Lood before Christmas - if he's available then that's a huge boost, combined with Tom's return then that's a potential game changer
By Clutch
RinTin

Fair point actually. If Rafi is away with England then we do need some cover I guess especially if Cliff has a niggle.

If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t be concerned. Rafi isn’t a million miles away from being the best 9 in the prem. Cliff is v good at what he does and I’ve been impressed with Warrs cameos.
By RinTin
Clutch

I think it needs to be a 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' scenario. Worst being Rafi away, Faf and Cliff injured. Best being all of the above available and playing.

I agree with the comments here though that Warr looks good.
Olyy liked this
By Flumpty
RinTin wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:14 pm

I agree with the comments here though that Warr looks good.
Does anyone know why Warr tapes up his fingertips ?

By DaveAitch
Flumpty wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Does anyone know why Warr tapes up his fingertips
Yes, but I'm not sure I do.

I presume he believes he can grip the ball better.

As regards Faf, I suppose it's lot of the modern player. Which club was it last that was down to one scrum half.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]