By Olyy
Damn, that's a lot longer than I thought!

Having Josh and Faf coming back for the end of season run in will be a boost, though
By Surbiton_Shark
Bah...unbelievable - literally as bad with injuries as Addison.

Really feel for him - he's so good when he plays for us with some games under his belt

Very concerned if Cliff still isn't about as I assume Rafi won't play vs Sarries and we really need some experience at 9 - mind you if AJ is playing then it gets negated a touch
By Thekeg
DavenportSharky wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:53 pm
Sam Hill is injured. No mention of Cliff. Faf is in Manchester. Harper back in the gym.
Cliff was supposed to be a minor injury, but that was a while back.
But Josh is sadly looking at March which is longer than we had hoped.

https://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/jos ... /31883.htm
I’d interpret that as Cliff being fit again or very close
By Olyy
Akker getting surgery on his ankle (I'm guessing? maybe achilles) today - according to his instagram story

Wonder if that's his season done?
By Olyy
No sympathy if they've not been vaccinated, they've had bloody long enough

Jono was been sharing covid related stuff on social media so I'm guess we'll be without him

Faf was one of the faces of the vaccination campaign in SA so it's not all SA players that are...sceptical
Flumpty, PappjeShark liked this
By Van Cannonball
The article seems to suggest the bigger issue is the visas for South Africans, whereas the double vax issue is only 1 or 2 - I’d really hope it’s the younger members of the squad, but even they have had more than enough time now surely? I agree no sympathy for them, it can’t be a surprise at all.
PappjeShark, Flumpty liked this
By PappjeShark
Echo that, zero sympathy at all for any fool not double vaxxed. Didn’t Axe say a few months back that vaccine status could play a part in contract decisions? Regardless of his own vaccination status, I feel Jono sets a poor example with what he amplifies on social media, including that well known scientific expert Denise Welch from Coronation Street.

As for Akker, that makes sense because with Ashman not going on loan due to injury and both TT and Langdon in the squad in recent weeks, he has to be the odd one out. I was thinking to myself the other day that maybe he needs to do what JOC did and get an op to fix it good and proper, as it’s been a recurring issue for him it seems.
Flumpty, chris1850 liked this
By 45jumper
Jono used to be my favourite player, probably one of my least favourite now.
Sharing covid nonsense on twitter, winding up referees, seemingly getting sin-binned every bleeding game. Is this the kind of fella we want as our captain? Can see why he was a good fit for the Dimes era but we've moved on now...or at least we should have. Should be Curry next season, IMO.
Elgar, chris1850 liked this
By Olyy
Our side with no saffas would be...interesting to see
Wonder if Byron and Shonert have UK passports? They've been here a long old time
If not then we could be going to Clermont with something like

Rodd, Ashman, Jones
Postlethwaite, Birch
Curry, Dugdale, Curry
Cliff, AJ
Yarde, James, James, Roebuck
Hammersley

Taylor, Harrison, ???, ???, Neild, Warr, Curtis, Reed
By Surbiton_Shark
There was an article in Guardian with quotes from Sanderson - in essence it basically said if the Saffers can't go then there wasn't much point sending a second team to get smashed
By WillC
Olyy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:43 pm
No sympathy if they've not been vaccinated, they've had bloody long enough

Jono was been sharing covid related stuff on social media so I'm guess we'll be without him

Faf was one of the faces of the vaccination campaign in SA so it's not all SA players that are...sceptical
Taking 2 and 2 and getting 5 I think. The article says that they aren't all double jabbed. You have no idea whether the players in question are even eligible for their second jab yet.
By Olyy
WillC wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:12 am
You have no idea whether the players in question are even eligible for their second jab yet.
Presumably they're older than 15, so they would be eligible
By Van Cannonball
Sounds like Jono has had one too many knocks on the head unfortunately...

I was quite surprised he was retained as captain this season - was an opportunity for Alex to put more of a stamp on things, so can only assume that Jono is considered a hugely beneficial influence off the pitch.

I’d have made him club captain but moved the team captain onto Tom/Ben.
By chris1850
Olyy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 am
WillC wrote:
You have no idea whether the players in question are even eligible for their second jab yet.
Anyone who is not yet eligible for their 2nd jab (let alone a booster) was clearly very slow in obtaining their first jab. Absolutely no time at all for anti-vaxxers. Unless you are medically unable to be vaccinated, you have a moral duty to be jabbed if you want to mix normally. That includes playing rugby.
Olyy, 45jumper, SimonG and 2 others liked this
By Thekeg
Seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions here about someone’s vaccine status based around little real evidence. Is it not possible that he might have a somewhat sceptical stance on certain aspects but still be vaccinated…? I’d imagine quite a lot of pro sportspeople are in that category if they fear being excluded
ale shark, WillC liked this
By WillC
Olyy wrote:
WillC wrote:
still have to leave a gap between vaccines
By WillC
chris1850 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:58 pm
Olyy wrote:
WillC wrote:
Anyone who is not yet eligible for their 2nd jab (let alone a booster) was clearly very slow in obtaining their first jab. Absolutely no time at all for anti-vaxxers. Unless you are medically unable to be vaccinated, you have a moral duty to be jabbed if you want to mix normally. That includes playing rugby.
It not about being anti-vax or pro-vax. Each individual case is very different and you and I have no idea what other peoples' individual circumstances are.

I am actually extremely pro-vaccination programmes but the answer (in my view) is not to get all dictatorial and righteous about it. Education is what is needed not vilification.
By chris1850
WillC wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:26 am
chris1850 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:58 pm
Olyy wrote:

It not about being anti-vax or pro-vax. Each individual case is very different and you and I have no idea what other peoples' individual circumstances are.

I am actually extremely pro-vaccination programmes but the answer (in my view) is not to get all dictatorial and righteous about it. Education is what is needed not vilification.
Agree re education but it only works up to a point. Currently, overwhelming scientific evidence suggests that vaccination is the best way to stop the spread of the virus. Surely in a civilised society, we all have a moral duty to do what we can to protect ourselves and others? I respect the right of an individual to say no to vaccination, but what about mine and others (the majority's) rights in turn to go about our lawful business without the higher risk of contracting infection by coming into contact with someone who wilfully refuses to take the precaution of being vaccinated. We should insist upon a much more widespread and thorough check of Covid passports (which should be less easy to falsify) and enforce social distancing/mask wearing etc more rigorously.
SimonG liked this
By Olyy
dinogyro wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:53 pm
Do long-term injured players go on a lower rate 'sick pay'? Or is their full salary still counted towards the cap?
From what I remember it's in segments, can't remember if it's half seasons or quarters, but if a player misses **an amount** then that amount of salary is knocked off
By Olyy
Injury updates in todays team notes:

James Harper – 2 Weeks,
Josh Beaumont – 3-4 Weeks,
Simon Hammersley – 3-4 Weeks,
Nick Schonert – 3-4 Weeks,
Akker van der Merwe – 4 Weeks

Really looking forward to seeing Harper back - two weeks lines up nicely with the next two rounds of the Premiership Cup so a good opportunity to ease him back in
By Flumpty
Olyy wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 pm
dinogyro wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:53 pm
Do long-term injured players go on a lower rate 'sick pay'? Or is their full salary still counted towards the cap?
From what I remember it's in segments, can't remember if it's half seasons or quarters, but if a player misses **an amount** then that amount of salary is knocked off
I can also reacll reading that if a player sustains an injury that prevents him from playing for more than 6 months, then his contract can be terminated. I'll try and find a link, as that's quite a scary prospect.
By Clutch
Me too!!

Interesting to see what happens when a fit Akker comes back. I’m firmly in the Akker and Langdon combo camp.
Not sure about Beaumont. He will jump in ahead of JP and allow JL back to 6 if we think that’s for the best. Which it isn’t!!
By dinogyro
I have really missed Akker's slightly odd and amusing running style. It is very effective at close range. Hopefully he can punch some holes for us. Wasn't he our top try scorer at one point?
By RugbyMarvel
I think Akker comes back in and effectively takes the roles of Ashman, whilst the latter spends some time improving his darts. Think Langdon partners with him as clutch says.

I’d like to eventually see JLDP to 6 and us rotate De Jager, Beaumont, Wiese and JPDP through the lock spots.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]