By DavenportSharky
One of the best try finishers I’ve ever seen. Sad but wish him all the best. If I was from New Zealand I’d never have left.
The word retirement is priceless!
By Olyy
Big shame - as above, he's one of the best finishers I've ever seen
Wish him well wherever he ends up - wonder if maybe he's looking at Moana Pasifika, if he's wanting to represent Samoa?
Or maybe move back to NZ the hop to Japan for the rugby season (they have much shorter seasons so it's easier to hop between the two places)
By LJK
Yes wish him well after a testing period in his life. He was great for us for quite a stretch, and who can forget that amazing airborne placement try in the corner, with 95% of his body outside the touch line. Quite brilliant.
By StalyShark
Transformed our fortunes in his first season and left some lasting memories. Sad that he’s gone but it’s been coming. Goes with all of our thanks for said memories.
By 45jumper
A real shame, one of the most exciting players I've seen in a Sale shirt, certainly think he's the best pure finisher. Really hope that a change of scene works out for him, such a talented fellow :clap:
Bucks1861 liked this
By RinTin
Real shame, absolutely gutted. Certainly wish him well for the future though.

I'm intrigued to know the background story. He was linked with moving away last summer, but that all seemed to be resolved. It's also strange timing as the super rugby sides have all finalised their squads i believe.

Do we think NRL? Their season doesn't restart until march so plenty of time for him to settle.
By Olyy
RinTin wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:00 am
I'm intrigued to know the background story. He was linked with moving away last summer, but that all seemed to be resolved. It's also strange timing as the super rugby sides have all finalised their squads i believe.
Japan starts their pre-season next week, apparently, so timing lines up with that
By RinTin
Olyy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:05 am
RinTin wrote:
Japan starts their pre-season next week, apparently, so timing lines up with that
I understood he was heading to Australasia from the announcements?
By Olyy
RinTin wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:06 am
Olyy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:05 am
RinTin wrote:
I understood he was heading to Australasia from the announcements?
Could be moving to New Zealand but spending the rugby season in Japan - that's what most foreign players in the Japanese leagues do,
It's a very short season (about 4 months) so you don't need to live there year round like with a move to the NH
By RugbyMarvel
Scored some amazing tries and will be missed. Wish him the best for his future career, hopefully he finds his best form but just not ever back in the Prem against us!

I’d suggest that we will have to be looking for a minimum of 2 back three players for next year. Also feel like we are a little bit light in the back three for the remainder of the season unless a mid season signing on the cards (I’m 99% sure Chris Ashton will be with us by January)
By RinTin
RugbyMarvel wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:52 am
Scored some amazing tries and will be missed. Wish him the best for his future career, hopefully he finds his best form but just not ever back in the Prem against us!

I’d suggest that we will have to be looking for a minimum of 2 back three players for next year. Also feel like we are a little bit light in the back three for the remainder of the season unless a mid season signing on the cards (I’m 99% sure Chris Ashton will be with us by January)
What a shout that is! I agree we desperately need some back 3 back up, Axe has worked with Chris before of course.
By Flumpty
Good luck to him with his new life in NZ - he's left me with some fantastic memories. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: - the Dennnnnnneeeeeeeeeee Solomonnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaa try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRt-kJAXBGo

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a quality back 3 player anywhere in the country currently kicking his heels that fancies a run out until seasons end ? Even better if it was someone who our DoR has in depth knowledge of
Bucks1861 liked this
By eBike
Good to see Denny back in action.

https://www.harbourrugby.co.nz/news-ite ... y-solomona

The NPC is a competition just below Super Rugby and North Harbour are mainly a feeder for Auckland Blues.

The Blues had a mighty tussle to win against the Chiefs last weekend and held their breath as Bryn Gatland narrowly missed a long range penalty that would have won it for the Chiefs.

Good luck Denny
chris1850 liked this
By Olyy
He's been named on the bench for the Highlanders vs the Crusaders, with fellow old boy Bryn Evans starting
Good to see him back into the top flight

By eBike
The 'Saders/'Landers match is on Sky Sports Action and Sky Sports Main Event on Friday at 07.05

https://www.wheresthematch.com/live-spo ... t=20201211

Bryn Evans could be packing down with his brother Gareth at some stage. A tough one for the Highlanders (P5, L5) at the bottom of Super Rugby Pacific while the Crusaders are P5 W4 and 3rd in the table.

I hope Denny gets a good game. :joy:
By Carlos
Do we have any experts on the set up on NZ rugby on here?

It's only a couple of weeks ago that Denny was announced as playing for North Harbour, which I thought was a feeder club for the Blues. But now he's playing for the Highlanders at the other end of the country; why not the Blues?

Is it not as simple as a parent / child relationship between the Super Rugby teams and those below in their area, has he moved or on loan, or is there a draft system?
By SimonG
Carlos wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:28 pm

It's only a couple of weeks ago that Denny was announced as playing for North Harbour, which I thought was a feeder club for the Blues. But now he's playing for the Highlanders at the other end of the country; why not the Blues?

Is it not as simple as a parent / child relationship between the Super Rugby teams and those below in their area, has he moved or on loan, or is there a draft system?
No expert but whereas there is a link between North Harbour and Blues that wouldn't stop him from playing for another Super XV side if the Blues don't want him or if he would prefer to play elsewhere.
By Carlos
SimonG wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:45 pm
Carlos wrote:

No expert but whereas there is a link between North Harbour and Blues that wouldn't stop him from playing for another Super XV side if the Blues don't want him or if he would prefer to play elsewhere.
So it's not a parent / child relationship and a player can hold two contracts, one at each level for any team regardless of location.
By SimonG
Carlos wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:51 pm
SimonG wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:45 pm
Carlos wrote:

So it's not a parent / child relationship and a player can hold two contracts, one at each level for any team regardless of location.
As I said I'm no expert but I believe a player holding a contract with a Provincial side (like North Harbour) could play for any of the five NZ Super 15 teams.
By Olyy
Yeah I always thought it was similar(ish) to the Welsh setup - a kid at Neath RFC is most likely to end up at Ospreys but there's nothing to stop Cardiff Blues signing them

I imagine Denny signed for North Harbour because he initially moved to Auckland - if he signs a permanent deal with Highlanders (not sure if he's just injury cover atm?) then he'll probably move to a Highlanders-associated NPC side next season
By eBike
A totally forgettable match but Denny came on at 55 minutes and instantly made an impact with an aggressive kick/chase and aerial challenge to win attacking ball for the Highlanders. He didn't see much ball after that. He looked fit and bulked.

Half time - 17-14 to the Crusaders
Full time - 17-14, which speaks volumes

Crusaders (2 tries) were sloppy but dogged. Highlanders (2 tries) had them under fairly constant pressure but failed to turn pressure into points.
RinTin liked this
By RinTin
Looking at the highlights the Highlanders should have won - some great line breaks in the second half, red card for the Saders reserve hooker and some dodgy decisions from good old Ben O Keefe.....

Couldn't see Denny on the pitch, but glad to hear he got good game time and made an impact.
By eBike
Yes, the 'Landers should have won. Mitch Hunt (10) missed a fairly "easy" conversion that would have drawn the game and given them the opportunity for several "drops" in the second half to win the game.

How the 'Saders survived the second half onslaught is a testament to their brutal defence in general and back three players (Sevu Reece, Will Jordan both winning several last ditch turnovers and match winning tackles) in particular.

'Landers unlucky :brickwall:

Let's hope we see more of Denny in the next round
RinTin liked this
By eBike
Bryn started and was his usual self in the line out and a bit of a nuisance around the breakdown. There seemed to be a bit of niggle between the packs (sorry, I REALLY should say forwards packs :brickwall: ) throughout the game. IMHO I thought the Highlanders pack got the better of the Crusaders, especially at the line out.

I didn't notice Bryn being subbed, his brother came on and they look very similar.

Side Issue; another straight red for the second tackler coming in, trailing an arm, dipping a shoulder and connecting with the head of a tackled but upright player. Some get carded, some don't. Just sayin' :whistle:
By RinTin
Red card all day. They should all be given a red.

I still can't get over the fact that Tom Banks had his red rescinded. Head on head, no effort to duck into the tackle. It was clear as day based on the current rules.

North vs South refereeing very different currently. Could make for some incidents during the summer tests.
Olyy, eBike liked this
Quins game

It looks like our injury woes are viewed as an opp[…]

Blanket

Good for him, if he finds some fitness internation[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]