By DaveAitch
The Times is a bit behind the times. It was in the news when it happened. I made reference to it on a thread from ten days or so ago about how bad football is. I suspect, as I made the entry somewhat cryptic everyone (except SimonG) thought I was talking about football.
Perhaps Welford Road is not so hostile after all…..
By Flumpty
When I do go to a seated section, especially in a busy stand/large stadium it does make me wonder how the thought process of some people works.
a) buy ticket (say) £75
b) miss first 10 mins of first haf wlhilst walking up steps with 4 pints iffy bear (£7.20 per pint IIRC at Twickenham £28.80)
c) miss last 10 mins of first half as you go to the bog
d) miss first 10 mins of second half whilst walking up steps with 4 pints iffy bear (£7.20 per pint £28.80)
e) miss last 10 mins of the game whilst you go to the bog

cost of watching the game £132
length of time game watched 40 mins
memory of game through a gallon of beer --- any memory at all ?

A completely different approach to watching a game.

p.s. plus pockets stuffed full of vastly overpriced pasties !
DaveAitch liked this
By dinogyro
Some people do not have a thought process! But I guess this is internationals, so maybe a different crowd? I've never been to one.

£7 a pint? Jeez, that's a rip-off even for London (and I am a Londoner).

I do have a miniscule bladder, so I take a hip flask of Malt. Saves all the getting up and down hassle and having other men splash pee on you in the trough toilet. My wife isn't so fixated on the game, so will annoy others by going to buy pints throughout the game. We do sit on the aisle to minimise disruption!
By Carlos
I'm obviously part of a small group of people who are capable of watching the game and having a drink and not being a dick.

Or the writer is a tw*t.

(my vote is with b)
DaveAitch liked this
By Flumpty
dinogyro wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:08 pm
Some people do not have a thought process! But I guess this is internationals, so maybe a different crowd? I've never been to one.
If/when you get the opportunity, go for it - they're usually a really good day out.
Probably from Manchester (definitely from Cumbria !), Murrayfield is an easy trip compared to Twickenham.
Related to the thread, I went to Scotland vs Aus in November and due to parking issues, was much later to the ground than usual.
We got through the turnstiles about 15 mins before KO and got around the stadium to where our seating block was about 10 mins or so before KO. Whilst walkng around, the queues at the bars were massive, absolutely massive - thousands and thousands of people making no effort whatsoever to get into the stadium.
We got to our seats as the teams came out for the anthems, so maybe 5 mins before KO and I reckon that the stadium was only about 75% full, with 15000 plus people choosing to be outside, queueing up for their beers.
Each to their own. Etc, Etc.but absolutely crackers IMO.
By poyntonshark
I have huge sympathy for the young fan, I haven't read the whole article to see any outcome, but there must be some sort of assault charge applicable. There is simply no reason that you should have to accept being puked on at a sporting event.

I do wonder where the writer of the article has been hiding though. Liz Edwards wonders when elite egg-chasing got so boozy? I reckon elite egg-chasing is much less boozy than it used to be. Gone are the waterfalls of dubious nature that used to flow down many grandstand steps. Thankfully.

I regularly drink at games, but, like @Flumpty I never quite understood the point of drinking so much before/during the game that the game made no impression, surely if the object is to drink then the game is an unnecessary distraction. A pint or two before, maybe one during then drink copiously afterwards seems to be the sensible approach for a rugby following drunkard.
By DaveAitch
I went to the England-New Zealand game, November 1967. Just behind us was someone who obviously enjoyed his drink. To be fair, he was in his seat for kick off and I don't think he got up once during the game. He just sat slumped in his seat the whole game in a somewhat comatose state. He woke up just as the game finished.
Just to take a Poynters' point. The old North stand in the Arms Park had somewhat leaky plumbing from the toilets, especially evident at half time. Those in the know, standing on the terrace below, used to leave a clearing in the crowd. Those not in the know got a good view of the game, and a little extra.
By ageinghoody
At the very first Edgley Park game (v Saints) I found myself astounded by a large chap sitting next to me with a carrier of 4 pints at his feet, and on his own.

Now he was perfectly well-behaved and civil so no complaints on that score. He did head for the loo 5 minutes or so before half-time but that was the only minor disruption; quite remarkable after 4 pints, but as I said he was big!

He reappeared in time for the second half, carrier refilled with a fresh 4 pints.

What made my jaw drop was when he left about 10 mins before the final whistle, announcing that it was so he could get his car out of the carpark before the main rush ... after 8 pints in 2 hours ! :doh:
By eBike
I'll add to the litany.

Having attended many Cardiff internationals and the tribal double header of Judgement Day we've decided it's no longer worth it.

Our last two visits were spoiled by
a) family of parents and three young children. Kids were given huge bags of hyper additive junk food while mum and dad got totally hammered. Each taking turns to fetch 4 pints at regular intervals. Drunk parents, 3 kids, international day crowds......... :yikes:

b) a group of 5 office colleagues behind us, "happy" when they arrived but then drank stashed wine throughout the game. They never once commented on the game or score, spending most of their time slagging off workmates, phoning friends, social media activity and talking loudly about their sex lives :talktothehand:

Why bother going to the match :doh:
DaveAitch liked this
By dinogyro
Flumpty wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:37 pm
dinogyro wrote:
If/when you get the opportunity, go for it - they're usually a really good day out.
Probably from Manchester (definitely from Cumbria !), Murrayfield is an easy trip compared to Twickenham.
I get free travel on the West Coast Main Line, so it looks like Murrayfield is a great suggestion.
By dinogyro
eBike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:37 pm

b) a group of 5 office colleagues behind us, "happy" when they arrived but then drank stashed wine throughout the game. They never once commented on the game or score, spending most of their time slagging off workmates, phoning friends, social media activity and talking loudly about their sex lives :talktothehand:

When I worked for a big company, we regularly took customers and staff out to events. Some times, people just came because it was free. They had no interest in the actual event.
By iBozz
Many moons since, I fell into a debate on our former Forum with someone who always left early. Whether that was to catch public transport or to miss the crowds I neither know nor care, but he became convinced that it was the leaving early that irked me.

It didn't, he could leave as early as he liked if it suited him.

What annoyed me, and this was a general annoyance not aimed at him as we didn't sit close to each other, was that those leaving early often think that they have a "God Given Right" to stop and watch any exciting passage of play on their way out - either blissfully unaware or ignorantly uncaring that by so doing they blocked the view of the rest of us who wanted to watch the game right up to No Side.

It wasn't the early leaving, it was the selfish manner in which they often left.
By DaveAitch
iBozz, I agreed with you then, and I do now.
I added on that it was strange that more people had to leave early if it was a poor game.
iBozz liked this
By Yareet
dinogyro wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:04 pm
eBike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:37 pm

When I worked for a big company, we regularly took customers and staff out to events. Some times, people just came because it was free. They had no interest in the actual event.
I once got taken to the Friday of the British Grand Prix as a guest of a manufacturer. Full Paddock Club passes, mixing with the drivers, get into the pits and the best seats in the house.

Half of our party didn’t leave the bar.
Flumpty, DaveAitch liked this
By Flumpty
dinogyro wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:00 pm
Flumpty wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:37 pm
dinogyro wrote:
I get free travel on the West Coast Main Line, so it looks like Murrayfield is a great suggestion.
Travelling TO Edinburgh, get off at Haymarket and its a 1 mile /20min stroll to Murrayfield.
Coming home either a) walk to Edinburgh Waverley 2miles/40 min stroll or b) take the tram from Murrayfield to Edinburgh Waverley - but the queues to get on the tram can be VERY long and take quite a while to get onto the tram station.
Once at Waverley, get on your train and there will be a seat available for you. Most people will try and get on at Haymarket and its like squeezing a quart into a pint pot and your chance of getting a seat is greatly diminished.

p.s get hold of some munchies at Waverly to take onto the train. If you're on TPE, the trolley probably won't get through. If on Avanti, the trains can be very busy post match dropping rugby fans off at Lockerbie and into England.

p.p.s splurging a few quid on a weekend first/Standard Premium upgrade is money well spent. If on Avanti, check where the "cutoff point" is. I've a feeling that its Oxenholme and the Standard Premium upgarde price halves ---If i'm right, its £15 from Warrington/Wigan/Preston/Lancaster and £7.50 from Oxenholme, Penrith & Carlisle to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Much more room, much quieter and (a lot) fewer boozed up travellers.
DaveAitch liked this
By LJK
Ibozz - you are spot on with your comments about increasing numbers of selfish people doing what they want to do with no regard to how it affects anyone else. Whether that is using their phones in cinemas, parking on street corners to collect their little darlings from school, thereby causing obstruction for other cars, or leaving their litter behind in parks and countryside for others to pick up. I could rant on, but seems to me all the talk of an increasingly caring society as a result of Covid is largely tosh.
Back to the rugby...if people want to leave why can't they exit at the frequent breaks in play in the game.? I have said before that what is happening on the pitch seems to be a sideshow for many, to just chatting, drinking and re-cycling that drink, or looking constantly at their phone. Tickets are not cheap so if people pay for something they are apparently not interested in, I can only conclude they have too much money to burn.
DaveAitch, WillC, iBozz liked this
By iBozz
DaveAitch wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:36 pm
I added on that it was strange that more people had to leave early if it was a poor game.

I recall fondly the game where, five minutes from No Side, we were losing - and then scored three converted tries in the final five minutes and won the game. Alas I cannot remember who were our Guests on that occasion.

Those who had left early - as you say, it was amazing that public transport was suddenly running early for so many that night that they all had to leave early - were trying to get back in to the ground to see what was going on.

I believe that, quite rightly, many Gate Stewards refused re-entry.
By Major Bloodnok
iBozz wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:03 pm
DaveAitch wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:36 pm

I recall fondly the game where, five minutes from No Side, we were losing - and then scored three converted tries in the final five minutes and won the game. Alas I cannot remember who were our Guests on that occasion.

Those who had left early - as you say, it was amazing that public transport was suddenly running early for so many that night that they all had to leave early - were trying to get back in to the ground to see what was going on.

I believe that, quite rightly, many Gate Stewards refused re-entry.
Either Bath or Leeds, IIRC. I think we did similar escape acts against both, but I don't recall which was the bigger recovery.
By Major Bloodnok
Leeds 2005-6. Lund 80 minutes, Mayor 81, Wiggy 82. Final score 35-24.

We weren't losing against Bath, but did score three late tries – Mayor 76, Cueto, 78 and Jones 80. (Charlie scored one, as well)
P51b, iBozz liked this
By Clutch
Mayor was our get out of jail free card that year. Prob the most impactful bench 3/4 we have had.
By chris1850
Yes. Remember that. Particularly AJs cross kick to Byron and Bryn's charge down. Cracking game
By Surbiton_Shark
I also remember that game - I was working in Costa Rica, just finished a meeting and logged onto see the score with about 10 mins to go. Found a nice quiet meeting room and got BT sport up and working - when we scored in the corner I somewhat celebrated only to then have to explain what rugby was to the locals!
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]