By FarnhamShark
There's a book in Central Library - "A Century of Rugby at Sale", written by the then-President, Monty Barak, to celebrate the Centenary in 1961, and the fact that Sale are the second oldest club in England (beaten by a few months by Blackheath). Fixture Secretary must have been a pretty easy job! The book quotes the teams for the Centenary match in April 1961, and I thought the names might bring back some extremely old memories for one or two of us:

SALE INTERNATIONAL XV
P R Hartley M Gavins (Leicester & England)
A A Bailey M Price (Pontypool & Wales)
K Nelson M Flynn (Wanderers & Ireland)
W M Patterson (capt.) A Sine (PUC & France)
J Roberts R McCarten (London Irish & Ireland)
F G Griffiths D Baker (OMT & England)
T C Pearson J Williams (Old Millhillians & England)
F Barker C Jacobs (Northampton & England) (capt.)
E Evans L Butler (Blackrock & Ireland)
F Herbert R Prosser (Pontypridd & Wales)
A C Evans A French (St Helens & England)
D M Green A Fremaux (PUC & France)
D Chadwick H Morgan (Abertillery & Wales)
A Copeland W Morgan (Medicals & England)
D Hackett L Rimmer (Bath & England)

There were no replacements, Ken Nelson got injured early in the match, and the Internationals won 20 - 3 (very unsporting of them!).

One other quote from Monty Barak that appealed to me: "too often the kick ahead signals the ineptitude of the player to make any constructive move". Fortunately, we've seen quite a lot less of that this season than in previous years, but it's still horribly valid from time to time.
By Lord Elpus
I recognise Eric , Ray Prosser, Ron Jacobs and Ray French from that lot.

French became the BBC RL commentator after Eddie "oop an' under" Wearing. Ray Prosser , I think, was the one who complained about Mike Campbell-lamerton 's use of long words (sic) like "marmalade" and "corrugated iron" when touring with the Lions. Ron Jacobs played about 500 times for Saints and became President of the RFU and took a tour to South Africa.

Eric Evans captained England to their first post-war Grand Slam.
By SSR
Wasn't one of those an old bloke on the telly looking for a book ?
Where did I leave my coat ?
By DaveAitch
I saw several of those play.

W. Morgan is better known as Derek Morgan (W.G.D. Morgan). He was one of our part -time lecturers in Cardiff. He is a lifelong member of Newbridge RFC and served them in several capacities over the years He was an England Rugby international and selector, in spite of being as Welsh as they come. The last time I heard, he wasn't too good health wise.
By MikeGC
Wasn’t Manchester FC formed in 1860, therefore preceding Sale FC ?
Likewise Liverpool St Helens trace their origins to 1857.
By iBozz
An old-timer replies below, I'll leave it for Mrs Trellis to answer for the very old-timers.

It is indeed true that Manchester, that old fuddy-duddy hidebound Club was founded as long ago as 1860 whereas Sale FC, that young, fresh and sprightly Club was founded as recently as 1861.

According to https://theculturetrip.com/europe/unite ... the-world/, several Clubs (not all still extant) were founded before even our two local Clubs, but how close to "rugby" they were is open to debate. Mind you, the early Laws at Sale FC bear little relation to today's game.

I reproduce them below:
The Laws of the Game, published by Sale Football Club in or about 1861, are as follows:

LAWS OF THE GAME

1 The maximun length of the ground shall be 200 yards; the maximum breadth shall be
100 yards; the length and breadth shall be marked off with flags, and the goals shall be
defined by two upright posts, eight yards apart, without any tape or bar across them.

2 The winners of the toss shall have the choice of goals. The game shall be commenced
by a place kick from the centre of the ground by the side losing the toss, the other side
shall not approach within ten yards of the ball until it is kicked off. The players on whose
side is the kick off shall not be in advance of the ball.

3 After a goal is won, the losing side shall kick off, and the goals shall be changed.

4 A goal shall be won when the ball passes between the goalposts, or over the space
between the goalposts (at whatever height), not being carried.

5 When a ball is in TOUCH, the player who touches it shall throw from a point on the
boundary line where it left the ground, in a direction at right angles with the boundary line,
and it shall not be in play until it has touched the GROUND.

6 When a player has kicked the ball, any one of the same side who is nearer the kicker to
the opponents' goal line is out of play, and may not touch the ball himself, nor in any way
whatever prevent any other player from doing so until the ball has been played; but no
player is out of play when the ball is kicked from behind the goal line.

7 In case the ball goes behind the goal line, if a player is on the side to whom the goal
belongs first touches the ball, one of his side shall be entitled to a FREE KICK from the
goal line at the point opposite the place where the ball shall be touched. If a player of the
opposite side first touches the ball, one of his side shall be entitled to a FREE KICK from a
point 15 yards from the goal line, opposite the place where the ball is touched. In either
case the opposing side shall not be nearer than 4 yeards from the kicker.

8 If a player makes a FAIR CATCH, he shall be entitled to a FREE KICK, provided he
claims it by making a mark with his heel at once; and in order to take such kick he may go
as far back as he pleases, and put the ball on the ground, and no player on the opposite
side shall advance beyond his mark until he has kicked.

9 No player shall carry the ball.

10 Tripping and pushing shall be allowed, but no player shall hack or use his hands to hold
his adversary.

11 A player shall not throw the ball or pass it to another.

12 No player shall wear projecting nails or iron plates on the soles or heels of his boots.

DEFINITION OF TERMS

A PLACE KICK is a kick at the ball while it is on the ground in any position which the kicker
may choose to place it.

A FREE KICK is the privilege of kicking the ball without obstruction, in such a manner as
the kicker may think fit.

A FAIR CATCH is when the ball is caught after it has touched the person of an adversary,
or has been kicked or knocked on by an adversary, and before it has touched the ground,
or one of the side catching it, but if the ball is kicked from behind the goal line, a FAIR
CATCH cannot be made.

Hacking is kicking an adversary intentionally.

Tripping is throwing an adversary by the use of the legs.

Holding includes the obstruction of a player by the hand, or any part of the arm below the
elbow.

Touch is that part of the field, on either side of the ground, which is beyond the line of
flags.
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]