By chris1850
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, so apologies if it has. However, a really good interview with AS on Rugby Union Weekly. It starts about 5 mins in, once Ugo has finished his pointless wittering about non-rugby matters and failed efforts at wit.

Interesting to hear AS talk up our youngsters- in addition to Rodd, Ashman and Quirke, who are now already internationals, he specifically mentions James Harper (will be very surprised if he hasn't played for England in the next 4 years) and Joe Carpenter. He names the players he sees as the long term basis of the team, in particular the twins and Cobus (though not Lood, Faf or Rohan). Talks about contract negotiations and difficulties involved, captaincy issues and much more. We are also giving a trial to Dom Barrow apparently, who is keen to relaunch his career. Only 28 and could be a useful acquisition if he can get back to the form he had at Tigers.

Well worth half an hour to listen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bgh0gy
Olyy liked this
By Surbiton_Shark
Ugo is very monotone......

Got to be honest and it's mainly me being a very grumpy Sale supporter with our recent performances - Axe's constant sort of management spiel has no started to grate with me - probably aided by the fact I work in an corporate environment so I gave up listening

At the start of the interview he refers to 'problems' as 'opportunities' or something like that, he then started to quote other phrases from basketball team owners..... - bad enough having a working life with that stuff Monday to Friday let alone listening to Axe who seems incapable of changing all our set issues bang on about it as well

Grump over - for me - less spiel more improved action on the pitch!
By Elgar
Might have to agree with you there, @Surbiton_Shark . The stuff about people refocusing on their priorities during the pandemic was a bit 'build back better' for me. AJ and JPDP are leaving because of an epiphany that they wouldn't have had but for Covid... not sure about that. Ford and Hill might not have signed but for having had time to think about things during the first lockdown... again, not sure that stacks up generally or against the more detail he want into about signing the pair of them.

I think it's fair for the jury still to be out and I really hope he turns out to be more George Skivington or Lee Blackett than Stuart Hooper (and it's results he should be judged on rather than his media content) but interviews like this seem much more Hooper than anything else.
Quins game

It looks like our injury woes are viewed as an opp[…]

Blanket

Good for him, if he finds some fitness internation[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]