By 45jumper
Good half but we're letting them back into it, we've been the better side. Cliff struggling with the pace of the game - put Raffi or Faf in there and we'd be pretty comfortable IMO.
If only Luke James could've scored that chance! He's been superb that half, back to his best.
By Beardedshark
Not sure about this game. Claremont 2xv are playing poorly, we are playing ok apart from cliff. Like James looks superb but we look slow in the backs. Bit confusing, pity about that last try
By Surbiton_Shark
Cliff is there for game control - we don’t have any - this is just an open game get Warr on as he’s quicker - get hammers off and let’s use 2 wingers with pace. Rdp infuriating in defence but good in attack

Got to keep ball in hand, if we boot it unnecessarily they have the gas to get around us easily

Hope the forwards can keep the energy up - hope the coaches realise that with an open game we lose without pace on so make the changes now

Shame we are down a player
By RugbyMarvel
StalyShark wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:14 pm
RugbyMarvel wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:13 pm
ejndavid95 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm
Cliff is having a shocker.
Arguably not quick enough to play at this level. It’s risky for the team in general
Only ever had a pass.
Fair assessment. Wish we had managed to coax Wigglesworth over as a player coach, he’s not quick but he’s also not as slow as Cliff - but more importantly he puts himself in the right places at the right time.

9 will likely also need some summer recruitment, especially if we will miss Quirke with England (November and 6N) plus Faf for november. Notwithstanding the fact they’re both injury prone…
By RugbyMarvel
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:18 pm
Cliff is there for game control - we don’t have any - this is just an open game get Warr on as he’s quicker - get hammers off and let’s use 2 wingers with pace. Rdp infuriating in defence but good in attack
Cliff can control a game at the Rec in wet conditions, when no one is moving anywhere quickly and the ball spends most of the time in the air between kicks.

Agreed re the wingers, Hammersley offering nothing on the wing and Reed more likely to finish / make a line break / cause havoc
By poyntonshark
Taken as a whole a reasonable performance. Much better in the backs, perhaps surprisingly given how poor Cliff has been. But, if ever our lack of pace has been highlighted more, I haven't seen it.

Difficult to have much confidence in getting a result though, given our second-half performances lately.
By Olyy
Definitely need to sign a fast back three player this year

Roebuck and Reed both have more pace than our senior guys, and I know that Axe is very hot on Carpenter, but we need a senior player alongside the nippers too

[Redacted] being suspended (and unlikely to make a return anytime soon, if ever) leaves a spot in both the roster and the salary cap
By Olyy
Streatham Shark wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:23 pm
I've only been half watching - what did Luke james get binned for, and why didn't the try cancel it out?
Deliberate knock on in the build up
Don't believe there's anything in the laws to say a try cancels out a yellow - I know most refs do do that, but I've never been a fan
An infringement still happened
Streatham Shark liked this
By RugbyMarvel
Olyy wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:25 pm
Definitely need to sign a fast back three player this year

Roebuck and Reed both have more pace than our senior guys, and I know that Axe is very hot on Carpenter, but we need a senior player alongside the nippers too

[Redacted] being suspended (and unlikely to make a return anytime soon, if ever) leaves a spot in both the roster and the salary cap
Still think it could be Ashton as a temporary measure…

Nick David hasn’t seen any game time at Quins, injured or just not in favour?
By RugbyMarvel
Tom Curry off, Ben Curry on. Apparently tactical.

Do hope TC isn’t injured and that they’ve decided to rest him for next week… Means Ben can hopefully have more time to show how bloody good he is
By Olyy
Surely that should've been a penalty?
He didn't try and catch it, he deliberately knocked it on to try and catch it further down the field, but didn't regather
By RugbyMarvel
Olyy wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:34 pm
Surely that should've been a penalty?
He didn't try and catch it, he deliberately knocked it on to try and catch it further down the field, but didn't regather
Agreed. Although it happens fairly often and it’s never penalised. He’s effectively pushed it out of Roebucks grasp so should have been penalised
By 45jumper
That box kick from Cliff has a claim to be one of the worst I've ever seen. Front foot ball and he just lofts it down the 15's throat. Absolutely insane. :lol
By Surbiton_Shark
Got away with conceding during that passage. Can’t believe Cliff box kicked before. We ain’t going to win this trying to play structured territory. It’s not rocket science
By poyntonshark
The kicking game seemed the right tactic first half, but with a man down, surely ball in hnad for as long as possible is the way to go?
By ejndavid95
Hammersley to be fair to him defended their overlap very well, so i'll forgive him the brain fade...just.

Cliff needs putting out of his misery at this point.
By RugbyMarvel
Need a score now boys.

If we can get one after weathering a storm for 20 minutes then it’ll be fantastic work
By RugbyMarvel
Don’t necessarily agree that Cliff made the right call there. He just know he has zero gas and that they have pace everywhere. Just lost possession when we could have recycled and carried on going
By Olyy
RugbyMarvel wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:55 pm
Don’t necessarily agree that Cliff made the right call there. He just know he has zero gas and that they have pace everywhere. Just lost possession when we could have recycled and carried on going
Oh come on :doh:
By Olyy
Kinda feels like we're holding on with our fingertips here

Wouldn't mind JP on for Jono with JL going to 6
By RugbyMarvel
Startling lack of substitutions. The lads look gassed. Why on earth didn’t we make changes at the 60 min mark after the big defensive set?
Asher Opoku-Fordjour

Does make me scratch my head a bit that England ar[…]

Ilex

https://twitter.com/premrugby/status/1790084209219[…]

Sarries game

Our game is on TNT1