By iBozz
I’ve never heard of The Raeburn Shield before today and, even after reading the Wikipedia stub about it I am none the wiser.

Is someone able to enlighten me, please?
By JohnJ of HM
It appears to be a hypothetical trophy held by a country until they they get beaten when the winners hold it until they are beaten etc. So Wales held it until England beat them on 11th August. After the following week's game Wales won it back and yesterday Ireland won it. Next week wales will get the opportunity to win it back.

http://www.raeburnshield.com/previousholders
By ale shark
It’s a bit like Tyson Fury’s tenuous claim to be the lineal heavyweight champion of the world. The man who beat the man who beat the man.......
By iBozz
Thanks, clear as mud as my Old Man would have said.

If I understand you, the imaginary Shield is held by which ever international(?) side wins the last played game so, for example, on the final day of the 6 Nations when three games are held, the Shield will change hands at No Side each game.

Thank goodness that it is imaginary, just think of the logistics of hawking it around to each fixture if it were a real shield!
By ale shark
No, it dates back to the winner of the first ever international. Whoever won that were then the holders until they got beaten next, then those winners became the holder until they passed it on to the next team that beat them. And so on.

One trophy, held by the team on a wining streak dating back to the first ever game.
By iBozz
Gotcha! Thanks. :angel:

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]

Falcons

Their team doesn't look that bad on paper. bu[…]

Tom Curry OMG

I just hope he takes his time and is patient. Jus[…]

Queen