By eBike
Anyone (else) with a view on the standard of BT commentary/commentators ?

I had to watch the games with the sound off. The Sarries/Glaws commentary wasn’t that bad but the Exeter/Saints one was simply dire. Intolerably soul destroying to listen to that dross.

1. The Sybil Fawlty Syndrome - constantly stating the bleedin’ obvious (with the benefit of hindsight of course)

2. Mansplaining - patronising viewers with their “knowledge” when we’ve all just seen what happened and are watching the game because we are, and have been, fans for many years.

3. Superiority Complex - the constant need to speak inanities when an international board ref is talking to players and explaining decisions for the sake of clarity.

Please can we have the option to turn OFF the commentators so we can actually listen to the only person who’s views matter, the REF.

The views of others would be appreciated
By Yareet
eBike wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:13 pm
Anyone (else) with a view on the standard of BT commentary/commentators ?

I had to watch the games with the sound off. The Sarries/Glaws commentary wasn’t that bad but the Exeter/Saints one was simply dire. Intolerably soul destroying to listen to that dross.

1. The Sybil Fawlty Syndrome - constantly stating the bleedin’ obvious (with the benefit of hindsight of course)

2. Mansplaining - patronising viewers with their “knowledge” when we’ve all just seen what happened and are watching the game because we are, and have been, fans for many years.

3. Superiority Complex - the constant need to speak inanities when an international board ref is talking to players and explaining decisions for the sake of clarity.

Please can we have the option to turn OFF the commentators so we can actually listen to the only person who’s views matter, the REF.

The views of others would be appreciated
I know that the expectations of ITV commentators is to explain much more than their BBC counterparts. The analysis shows that there are more non-rugby fans watching ITV.

I wonder whether the business end of the season similarly attracts novice supporters who maybe benefit from more explanation.
By Litzy Cole
As a recent fan, I could actually do with a little more explanation of rules and tactics from the commentators.

I find the ruck a bit confusing, as sometimes the ref stops players counter-rucking and sometimes it's allowed. Sometimes they shout 'second man in' and I have no idea what that means (and I am currently too lazy to look). But the main point being a casual observer needs it explaining.

So, some of the commentary is bland and not worth having, but some is quite enlighetning for us with less rugby knowledge.
By poyntonshark
The main problem with the commentators and pundits explaining the laws, is that many of them don't know the laws well enough and are likely to confuse the 'rugby novice' even further. There seems to be a , not unreasonable, expectation that former players are fully conversant with all of the laws of the game, some of them just aren't. That said, I'm generally fairly happy with the BT commentators (it is their commentary that we usually get down under, not sure what we get when we see the non UK televised games). I've never understood people getting upset about commentators, if you don't like them then don't listen, I find it easy to tune out and concentrate on watching the game. Though I do like the idea of turning off the commentary whilst leaving audio for ref comments and such.

dinogyro, when you recover from your bout of lazyitis, take look at The Laws at World Rugby, an excellent resource form the people who make the laws
By eBike
Many thanks for the replies.

The points made about marketing the game to a broader audience, especially in a World Cup year make a lot of sense.

There's an armchair ref in all of us but I always defer to the one who's experienced and qualified. Hence it would be nice to have the option of Ref-Link only as I've found it invaluable in the past. Listening to the match with the sound off is always an option but hardly immersive.

With the resources at BT's disposal I would have thought an on screen Ref Link Only option would be small potatoes.

Many thanks for your contributions.
By Major Bloodnok
I think the Beeb have/had that option on the red button. I'm sure I remember the options of radio commentary or ref link a while back.
By Flumpty
eBike wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:35 am

There's an armchair ref in all of us but I always defer to the one who's experienced and qualified. Hence it would be nice to have the option of Ref-Link only as I've found it invaluable in the past. Listening to the match with the sound off is always an option but hardly immersive.

With the resources at BT's disposal I would have thought an on screen Ref Link Only option would be small potatoes.

Many thanks for your contributions.
Thats a cracking suggestion - especially with a ref like Wayne Barnes who communicates well and who gives the players the opportunity to listen to his refereeing/game managements "advice" rather than ping for every minor infraction of the laws.
By Surbiton_Shark
Generally I like the commentary on BT Sport. The only one who grates is Monye - for someone who tended to create excitement ball in hand in the rugby pitch - he's very wooden when it comes to the spoken word.
By Litzy Cole
A reflink audio channel would be great.
By Major Bloodnok
The best bit is when they're watching a TMO replay, and li'l Oz or Dayglo are explaining why it's definitely a try and, in the background, you can just hear the ref explaining why it isn't a try.
By MikeGC
I find the "well informed" professional commentator generally OK and the ramblings of the ex-players pretty insightful.
Generally a positive from my point of view.
By JohnJ of HM
Whilst their knowledge of the laws is a bit sketchy, especially AH, they are infinitely better than the BBC outfit. Moore, Butler and Davies are just appalling. I except Andrew Cotter from this. Trouble with Davies is compounded by the fact that we have to put up with him on Rugby League as well.
Sky are not much better with the awful Barnes.
Never ending word association thread

Bam https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=t[…]

Nic Dolly rumoured to be leaving Tigers Had a r[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]

Ask the Club

Was sent my tickets electronically today to go[…]