By Olyy

No surprises there, let's go!
Last edited by Olyy on Fri May 26, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Bronzbronx
I'm travelling down tomorrow morning by train, never been to Twickenham, what is a sensible time to arrive at the stadium?
By RugbyMarvel
Bronzbronx wrote:I'm travelling down tomorrow morning by train, never been to Twickenham, what is a sensible time to arrive at the stadium?
Get to the stadium an hour before the game at latest, can soak up atmosphere quite well. It’s about 20 min to half an hour walk from station to stadium if crowded and you’ll have some decent food stalls on the route.
Bronzbronx liked this
By Shark in Exile
Twickenham will be packed tomorrow so suggest getting to the stadium a good hour and half before the start of the game.
The team will be arriving between 1:15 and 1:45 if you want to cheer the lads on entering through the Lion Gate.
By Flumpty
Shark in Exile wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:40 pm
Twickenham will be packed tomorrow so suggest getting to the stadium a good hour and half before the start of the game.
The team will be arriving between 1:15 and 1:45 if you want to cheer the lads on entering through the Lion Gate.
Unfortunately Twickenham will be nowhere near packed - there are loads and loads of unsold seats (soem blocks are showing 40% + availability)
By SimonG
Flumpty wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:25 pm
Shark in Exile wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:40 pm
Unfortunately Twickenham will be nowhere near packed - there are loads and loads of unsold seats (soem blocks are showing 40% + availability)
Local residents being offered tickets at £2 each apparently.
By Olyy
Full front row sub after 44 mins is a bold bold call

Edit: that works out! Bev picking and going like Faf

Double edit: Lineout killing us in the second half
By Olyy
Wasn't to be today, better side won - Farrell absolutely superb

So so proud of this side, what a season we've had
Tom Curry was a man possessed out there today, incredible

Take it, learn from it, go one step further next season - it's a settled team we've got, we can build from here
ageinghoody, ledzepsfr liked this
By Bucks1861
I dared to dream for 10 minutes. But Sarries have a better attack.

Wonderful advert for the game.

Immensely proud of our boys.
By chris1850
Who is Ben Earl? Certainly outclassed by TC today.

Immense effort from the team though. So proud
By eBike
I feel we should mention Luke Pearce. He was excellent today and contributed to the spectacle as much as the players. I don't think he put a foot wrong in today's game.

Well done Mr Pearce
ageinghoody, Olyy, Bucks1861 and 2 others liked this
By poyntonshark
Great effort, too many mistakes. Beaten by the better side on the day. Will hopefully build from here. Practically same group next year. Fingers crossed we have Ford for much more of the season, continue to work on a few wrinkles and no reason why we shouldn't be playing in this game next year.
By poyntonshark
eBike wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:37 pm
I feel we should mention Luke Pearce. He was excellent today and contributed to the spectacle as much as the players. I don't think he put a foot wrong in today's game.

Well done Mr Pearce
Well he didn't referee the breakdown at all, but that was same for both sides. Other than that he did well.
By LJK
Yes a great advert for the game from both sides, but agree Sarries overall deserved the win. We were let down by poor lineouts in 2nd half, and I didn't understand the decision to replace a dominant front row in one go after just 5 mins. of the 2nd half. Apart from 10 mins around the hour mark, I never felt we controlled the game to get a win, but huge effort from Sale and hopefully the young players that have shone so much this season can keep us near the top of the league in the next few years.
Hope all at Twickenham enjoyed the day out..bit better weather than in 2006!
By ageinghoody
poyntonshark wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:40 pm
eBike wrote:

Well done Mr Pearce
Well he didn't referee the breakdown at all, but that was same for both sides. Other than that he did well.
The ITV commentary team were congratulating him on "letting both sides have a grapple for the ball", or something like that.
By Lord Elpus
poyntonshark wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:38 pm
Great effort, too many mistakes. Beaten by the better side on the day. Will hopefully build from here. Practically same group next year. Fingers crossed we have Ford for much more of the season, continue to work on a few wrinkles and no reason why we shouldn't be playing in this game next year.
We get frenetic near the try line too often.

Axe has a problem with Tuilagi. Is he really worth the moolah?

Fwiw next season I'd start Raffi with RdP & SJ in the centres.

Why was Roebuck subbed? Injury? TO'F was poor I thought.

For the pack - Sorries excellent handling stopped you having a deserved scrum advantage. Huge effort by you boys.
By Olyy
I thought Flats was decent, should've come on for Reed, though
I'm guessing Roebucks knee wasn't right after the clash with Maitland?

Manus best carrying game for us, probably by a long shot, but also showed his tendancy to shoot out of the line which led to one of Saracens' tries
By Streatham Shark
When Rodd went over I thought we'd won it, so very disappointing that it ended as it did. We didn't quite have the edge tactically today, and our kicking game failed. Next season I want us to run the ball much more. Can't ask for anything more from the lads today though, they ran their blood to water and lost to a terrible decision in the end.

I'm not going to say well done sarries. That's still the team that cheating built, and it's brought the league to its knees.
By DavenportSharky
We were certainly not disgraced and showed tremendous heart. A lot of our players will benefit from the experience and I think we will be even better next season. Great day out despite the coach turning up late. Thought our support was louder than theirs but may have been where I was sitting. 61k+ attendees!!
We made some daft errors as per usual. Lot of unnecessary early penalties again. Hill falling on ruck for example cost us 3. Curry had a rush of blood following the pathetic pitch invasion. Should not have made that ridiculous tackle. Would have been a difficult conversion but instead 7points and a yellow. Roebuck was limping after the Maitland incident. TomO’F made some good darts but his handling again shaky. Felt sorry for Joe C with the charge down as otherwise he was rock solid and always a threat. Not sure what they showed on TV but the protesters (and the poor stewards) were pelted with various missiles both solid and liquid. One of them is a GP and seriously considering writing to the GMC as his conduct brought his (and my) profession into disgrace.
Tom Curry made up for his error with a terrific performance in contrast to Earl who I hardly noticed. The stadium support were surprised that the dominant front row was removed (only for Bevan to make an excellent case). Raffi looked the best yet this year and Gus box kicked superbly. Farrell looked the master today and Malins always a threat. Tompkins never threatened (Byron will be pleased) and Itoje is far from world class. Bevan did his WC chances some good. Manu carried well a few times but I’m all for starting Sam James who looked really up for it. Cobus was looking and walking well at the South Warwickshire services.
Odd to have an orange protest snuffed out by team Orange.
Olyy, tbird liked this
By Surbiton_Shark
Grand day out as ever - touch deflated however Sarries well deserved winners

Crucial moments for me were when we failed to get points in the second half when we kicked for the corner - that was really the defining moment

Line out in general particularly second half. Sarries just seemed to work us out

Carpenters charge down…seemed to have an age to get rid of the ball - I remember he got charged down a few times earlier in the season

Reed seemed to get targeted - assume Tom R was injured as expected TOF to replace Reed

Scrum looked good - effort all round was fantastic - Jean Luc DP deserves a massive rest

Overall very proud we came second - need to kick on a go one better next season - prob need to play more expansive at times and copy Sarries again

Faz nailed on for an England shirt….
Olyy liked this
By RuggerPleb
(Just from memory at the game) Feel like it was the open field attack that was the difference between the sides.

They had better line out, but we had better scrum, and otherwise the forwards cancelled out in the tight.

When they attacked.. we defended - good - but then they just attacked again, and recycled, and attacked again, and recycled, and offloaded, and again...no panic. if there wasn't space on the left they quickly switched to the right, if there wasn't space there they went down the middle, if we stopped that they did 50:22 kicks or similar - target Reed and Carpenter. We got dragged all over the place at times - I often thought we had snuffed out their attack but then it just started again.

Our attacks seemed to be one phase - if we got a line break or a penalty.. good, otherwise going nowhere. Like Akker's break for Roebucks try seemed to come from nowhere - not a plan, just luck and good execution.

So that - calm multi-phase play with options - and the line out, are the targets for next season if we want to step up one place.
By Olyy
They used their width very well - we defend quite tight and use our linespeed to shut down attacks, they were zipping wide balls out to the wing and just going around our defence
The speed of their recycling and (as mentioned above) the relentless of their attack was really impressive
By DavenportSharky
We box kicked +++ with Gus on. Relatively few spiral bombs from GF. Manu rarely passes so we hardly ever get the ball to 13 and the wings. When we do we look a threat. All week Sarries have been saying they are more expansive and positive in attack compared to last season. We need to do the same.
By poyntonshark
ageinghoody wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:23 pm
poyntonshark wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:40 pm
eBike wrote:

Well done Mr Pearce
The ITV commentary team were congratulating him on "letting both sides have a grapple for the ball", or something like that.
They were, because that is what Mr Pearce told Ben Earl early in the game. Basically nonsense, both sides carried to tackle and next man fell on top to seal off. There was one jackall all game. I don't get the Manu hate, he was monstrous yesterday taken off too early. I like Sam and want there to be room in the team for him, but he may have looked up for it when he came on, but we achieved very little with him there. RDP lack of pace was exposed (in our tight defensive structure) as Malins and Daly rounded him with ease. Gus box kicked pretty well but was painfully slow in most areas (very possibly as he was told to be). I too thought the starting front row were taken off too early, Bevs score negated that, Ashman's lineout throwing supported it. That total Fubar on their 5m line when we were in the ascendency may well have cost us the game. There were very few scrums in the second half to fully test them as Sarries adopted the surprising tactic of not dropping the ball. Tom Roebuck was sat on the bench with ice on his right knee.

I know some of that sounds damning, but I'm nowhere near as upset after a final defeat as I would have thought. We were beaten by a team that has basically been together for a number of years. They executed better than us and had a better gameplan. We still came very close. That gameplan that has served us so well wasn't quite enough to take it up a notch (as we had already glimpsed in Europe). We are a young inexperienced team with a relatively inexperienced DOR, everyone should have learned a huge amount from yesterday, we carry pretty much the same squad into next season, I'm confident that we will be stronger next year and challenging again, though I too hope that the gameplan expands more than a smidge.
By Altishark2222
Not the result we wanted but it was a good game of narrow margins & I'm so glad we were there. Sarries just had that extra edge but Sale fought all the way. The atmosphere in the South stand was great & we definitely made ourselves heard. Well done Sale we were proud of you & I think your supporters also did you proud. Let's hope we don't have to wait 17 years for the next final.
DavenportSharky liked this
By Squawker2
Hi folks - had to create an account, I'm normally over on rugbynetwork.

I just wanted to give my thanks for the multiple groups of Sale fans who stopped me on the way out to congratulate me on Sarries' win. You are all a class act I suspect we'll be seeing again in the future.

Hope everyone's trips home were safe and a good day was had :)
Olyy, Yareet, chris1850 and 2 others liked this
By FarnhamShark
Apart (obviously!) from the result, my only disappointment was that 25 minutes after the match ended the only player who'd got anywhere near the South Stand was Tom Roebuck. Of course they have other commitments, but I'd have thought we were worth an acknwledgement.
tbird liked this
By Yareet
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:10 pm
Apart (obviously!) from the result, my only disappointment was that 25 minutes after the match ended the only player who'd got anywhere near the South Stand was Tom Roebuck. Of course they have other commitments, but I'd have thought we were worth an acknwledgement.
Message on Facebook from Michelle Orange:

Dear All

Now the dust is beginning to settle on what has been the most monumental season for us all (and also the dustiness from Saturday's night's festivities has subsided) I just wanted to take time to address a point that some of you have raised about the fact the boys didn't do a post game lap of the stadium on Saturday.

I've already made a response to a comment on one of Joe's earlier posts so sorry if you feel you've read this content already. I am not trying to single anyone out here, I merely want to offer some explanation for appeasement.

I, myself was down on the pitch post-whistle. Every few minutes we were being herded into different areas by stewards and redirected where to stand every to accommodate TV interviews, presentations, the Saracens walk round etc. We were quite rapidly shepherded off the pitch after the trophy presentation.

It was an overwhelming experience for us all and the players' first instinct was perhaps to be with their families and share the limited post match pitch time they were afforded for their own souvenir snaps on Twickenham's hallowed turf for their family albums.

I don't think we can deny them that, when the families sacrifice so much for their partners/husbands/dads/sons/brothers and for the good of the club. With emotions running high it is understandable that the first people you turn to in that instance are your loved ones.

I know none of the team take your support and investment for granted and would certainly never dream of trying to denigrate it.

Yes, perhaps they should have also done a lap of honour - let's not forget it's our first trip to HQ in 17yrs; some of yesterday's players are only marginally older than our first prem trophy and was their first playing experience at Twickers. Lessons to be learned for next time but I think they can be forgiven rather than be berated. WE WILL BE BACK!

I know you all value how the players always try to spend as much time as possible post match at home games with you amazing lot ... it's not always quite so easy to do when it's not your own turf.

They nearly all made it out to the Fan Village within less than an hour after the FTW and enjoyed drinks and selfies with the supporters who remained. I personally tried to greet and thank anyone and everyone wearing any sort of Sharks attire so apologies if any of you felt harassed by somewhat over emotional blonde woman!!

The Sharks Army brought with them the noise and colour, pride and passion from the NW and beyond and we do not wish to diminish or disrespect that. You have all been such a massive part of this astonishing season and we always try to acknowledge our gratitude as often as possible. Thank you from the bottom of our 💙 hearts.

When we do get to do that lap of honour with the trophy be it next season or the one after, I am sure the players will eke out every single second of SharkTime possible on the Twickenham turf and share the moment with you.

Have a wonderful summer everyone and see you at Heywood Rd for Cliffy's testimonial and in September to showcase some of new academy graduates in the Prem Cup alongside those old fogies such as Reed, Roebuck and Carps!! 😂

With all my thanks

Michelle
By ledzepsfr
Yareet wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:24 am
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:10 pm
Message on Facebook from Michelle Orange:

Dear All

Now the dust is beginning to settle on what has been the most monumental season for us all (and also the dustiness from Saturday's night's festivities has subsided) I just wanted to take time to address a point that some of you have raised about the fact the boys didn't do a post game lap of the stadium on Saturday.

I've already made a response to a comment on one of Joe's earlier posts so sorry if you feel you've read this content already. I am not trying to single anyone out here, I merely want to offer some explanation for appeasement.

I, myself was down on the pitch post-whistle. Every few minutes we were being herded into different areas by stewards and redirected where to stand every to accommodate TV interviews, presentations, the Saracens walk round etc. We were quite rapidly shepherded off the pitch after the trophy presentation.

It was an overwhelming experience for us all and the players' first instinct was perhaps to be with their families and share the limited post match pitch time they were afforded for their own souvenir snaps on Twickenham's hallowed turf for their family albums.

I don't think we can deny them that, when the families sacrifice so much for their partners/husbands/dads/sons/brothers and for the good of the club. With emotions running high it is understandable that the first people you turn to in that instance are your loved ones.

I know none of the team take your support and investment for granted and would certainly never dream of trying to denigrate it.

Yes, perhaps they should have also done a lap of honour - let's not forget it's our first trip to HQ in 17yrs; some of yesterday's players are only marginally older than our first prem trophy and was their first playing experience at Twickers. Lessons to be learned for next time but I think they can be forgiven rather than be berated. WE WILL BE BACK!

I know you all value how the players always try to spend as much time as possible post match at home games with you amazing lot ... it's not always quite so easy to do when it's not your own turf.

They nearly all made it out to the Fan Village within less than an hour after the FTW and enjoyed drinks and selfies with the supporters who remained. I personally tried to greet and thank anyone and everyone wearing any sort of Sharks attire so apologies if any of you felt harassed by somewhat over emotional blonde woman!!

The Sharks Army brought with them the noise and colour, pride and passion from the NW and beyond and we do not wish to diminish or disrespect that. You have all been such a massive part of this astonishing season and we always try to acknowledge our gratitude as often as possible. Thank you from the bottom of our 💙 hearts.

When we do get to do that lap of honour with the trophy be it next season or the one after, I am sure the players will eke out every single second of SharkTime possible on the Twickenham turf and share the moment with you.

Have a wonderful summer everyone and see you at Heywood Rd for Cliffy's testimonial and in September to showcase some of new academy graduates in the Prem Cup alongside those old fogies such as Reed, Roebuck and Carps!! 😂

With all my thanks

Michelle
Thanks for posting this Yareet.
I've not met Michelle, but I read this post as genuine and heartfelt.

Already looking forward to next season albeit supporting via Stan broadcasts here in WA.
By Shark in Exile
To be fair to the Team, through it’s was disappointing that only Tom Roebuck and a little later George and Gus came over to the South Stand, but the majority of the Team including Alex did spend time around the Fan Zone near the Lion Gate post match chatting, signing autographs an having photos taken etc.
By Flumpty
Shark in Exile wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:31 pm
To be fair to the Team, through it’s was disappointing that only Tom Roebuck and a little later George and Gus came over to the South Stand, but the majority of the Team including Alex did spend time around the Fan Zone near the Lion Gate post match chatting, signing autographs an having photos taken etc.
& after the final whistle, the stewards seemed to spend a lot of time shepherding the Sale entourage to where the stewards wanted thyem to be, rather then where the people in blue wanted to be !
By Streatham Shark
To be fair there were quite a few who were signing autographs by the tunnel after, including Raffi throwing his shorts into the crowd (his arm was fine then). I think the presentation messes up going round the pitch for the fans a bit, not least because the losing team's support will dissipate very quickly.

Our support was fantastic on Saturday. Thanks to the girls who took my disappointed son under their wing afterwards, and the couple from Elworth who endured a second half of me a) moaning and b) trying to figure out if we'd met at Bradwall Road at some point. Great people all round.
By dinogyro
Just back, so a somewhat belated post.

This was my first visit to HQ. A big thank you to all the rugby fans, you are all just superb. Sale or Sarries, it was all good-natured. Just fabulous people. Thank you all for making it a really special day out.

And from where I was, I could only hear Sale fans chanting.
tbird, chris1850 liked this
Team vs Exeter

I think Slade's been excellent this season tbh, Ho[…]

diamond

Covid Repayments

Bearing in mind it is our (taxpayers) money th[…]

I had assumed that when focus on attack was mentio[…]