By SSR
Good read as usual but sadly resurrected the downhill slope of disappointment
that was the second half. We have grunt ( but not in abundance ) but lack the flair
for 80 mins.
By dinogyro
Coincidentally, I've just started to re-watch The Queen's Gambit. Excellent series.

I was so hopeful in the second half. Just wait until our not so secret weapon comes on I thought, we get loads of scrum pens and walk away with the 5 points. Oh dear...

I'm not too concerned at this point. The injury list means we've introduced some young 'uns and they have performed well. When we are back to full strength, I think it will be okay. I desperately want another visit to Twickenham.
The first day of first class cricket I ever saw was the 4th day of the 5th Ashes Test at The Oval August 1968. Thought it was terrific especially Colin Milburn hooking Graham McKenzie for 2 huge 6s. What I didn’t know was that the following day Deadly Derek would go through the Aussies on a sticky wicket in one of the most famous days in test match cricket. His excellent almost medium pace slow left arm was possibly the best of his generation.
DavenportSharky wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:12 pm
The first day of first class cricket I ever saw was the 4th day of the 5th Ashes Test at The Oval August 1968. Thought it was terrific especially Colin Milburn hooking Graham McKenzie for 2 huge 6s. What I didn’t know was that the following day Deadly Derek would go through the Aussies on a sticky wicket in one of the most famous days in test match cricket. His excellent almost medium pace slow left arm was possibly the best of his generation.
I don't remember the exact match but I'm fairly sure it was against India (ah, Bishen Bedi...). It was a flat wicket and heading for a draw but some moisture got under the covers overnight. The next day Deadly went through the batters like a dose of salts.
DavenportSharky liked this
DavenportSharky wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:12 pm
I think of that match every time we visit our friends in Aberdeenshire.

About halfway between Dundee and Forfar the A90 skirts the village of Inverarity!
DavenportSharky liked this
Yesssss John Inverarity!! That extraordinary photo with Underwood appealing and every fielder round the bat with minutes to go. The crowd dried the Oval out to allow it to go ahead. I so wish my uncle and aunt had taken me on the Tuesday and not the Monday.

Major. I think Bishan was 1971. Erapalli Prasanna, Srinivasaraghavan Venkataraghavan and Bhagwan Chandrasekhar. Probably the best combination of spinners ever. Split tours with Pakistan that year. 1970 was Rest of the World. 1972 Australia 1973 West Indies and World Cup…..
DavenportSharky wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:19 pm
Erapalli Prasanna, Srinivasaraghavan Venkataraghavan and Bhagwan Chandrasekhar.
Ah, memories.

I wasn't suggesting that Bedi played in the game I remembered, just that I always loved watching him bowl.

I must admit that a picture with Deadly at one end and Knotty at the other brings out the old Man of Kent in me...
Never ending word association thread

William https://youtu.be/QzGStiundx4?si=oSQkuW8JuS[…]

Sarries game

Massively tempting to put TC back in if fit. Head […]

Team S'Up for't Tigers

Which will be the reason we don't qualify, not the[…]

PIERS O'CONOR - BEARS TRIBUTE

He may be Connacht-bound, but he'll always be a Br[…]