By SSR
Anyone got any clue as what to expect on the teamsheet on Friday?
I presume we will be missing Ford, Manu,LCD, Roebuck and Burry to England.
Turry obviously still recuperating. Rodd still injured?
Anymore known injured?
Forgot RMW presumably still with U20s.
By Olyy
Burry is injured (chest injury, said he's out for a few weeks I think)
From the club's social media it looks like Bev is back
Don't think Scotland are under any obligation to release Reed back to us this weekend as it's in the international window, but imagine they will in the hope he gets some game time in case he's required by them at some point in the 6N
Imagine we'll leave all the u20s 6N players with their sides instead of recalling them

Tough to know what kind of side we'll put out, on the one hand it's a good opportunity to get game time into fringe players, on the other we need to our 1st team to find some form for the run in
Plus do we have enough fit players to rotate that much?

Would like to see Nye, Curtis, and L.James get starts, Doherty if fit too

Very interested to see who plays at 8 - imagine Josh B will be first choice there with both Du Preez twins and Birch all injured, but who's behind him? Did Neild play a few games there for the Jets a few years back? Think Dugdale had a run out there once or twice?
Would start Neild at 6 (Woodman at 7) and the new loan lock Hyron Andrews (was that ever confirmed by the club?) so they can get up to speed asap

Wings will be interesting too - is Flats back?
Would like to see Obi Ene get a run if he's not otherwise engaged with Uni
By SSR
I forgot Hill is out for the season.
Is Cobus and Bamber available? What about Van Rijn and Ellis ?
Is the short term Saffer lock with us yet.
Looking like bare bones for friday unless all above are available.
By Olyy
Cobus went off injured vs Gloucester so I'd imagine he's out, especially as we brought in extra lock cover
By RinTin
RMW will be available as he isn't in the U20's squad, and England A have no more games.

Got to give the fringe players a run imo:

Backline of Nye, Curtis, Ene, RMW, Doherty, Veainu and LJ would be good to see.
Pack wise again go youth/ fringe: Tummy, Caine, Harper, Andrews, Bamber, Ellis, Neild and Burch.

Bench could have some punch if needs be, but the above gives game time to those most in need.

Wouldn't mind a full injury update to see how guys are rehabbing.
By SSR
Falcons forwards are a strong unit. This is a game we should be attempting to win surely.
Lose this then can kiss goodbye to the season, or have we done that already ?
By LJK
As it is a friendly, is it limited to a team of 23, or a larger squad with multiple replacements like has been in the case in some warm up games in the past?
By Olyy
If the clip the club posted on social media of training was from this week then looks like JLdP might be fit - he's tackling at least
By dinogyro
SSR wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:41 pm
D'Oh!
Just realised this is one of the friendlies!
(Sorry, too long without live rugby )
Yes, too long. Made do with the PWR last weekend, but things aren't getting any better for the womens' team.

Veainu - forgot all about him!
By dinogyro
SSR wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:37 pm
Falcons forwards are a strong unit. This is a game we should be attempting to win surely.
Lose this then can kiss goodbye to the season, or have we done that already ?
I am feeling a little bit despondent, but there's only 4 points in it and six games to go. Anything could happen (fingers crossed).
Oh Danny Boy liked this
By Olyy
He was sat with the subs at the England A game, I don't think he'd have been there if he wasn't able to pull on his boots if someone dropped out in the warmup (I'm guessing he trained with the squad when Randall was called into the 6N squad), so I reckon so
By RinTin
Halifaxshark wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:42 pm
Is Raffi fit again?
Unsure what's going on with him. Wasn't he called up to continue rehab with England? Does he stay there?

To add to my team above I would like a bench of (assuming some guys are released from England and some have recovered from injury):

16. LCD 17. Harrison 18. Schonert 19. Beaumont 20. JLDP 21. Raffi 22. RDP/ Bedlow (Bedlow used as back up 10 for Bristol many times) 23. Flats

Experienced guys as well as those returning from injury. Blow away the cobwebs before a big final 2 months of the season.
By Olyy
RinTin wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:29 pm
Wasn't he called up to continue rehab with England? Does he stay there?
Only for the first week - the walking wounded are named on a week by week basis
RinTin liked this
By SSR
Newcastle Falcons team v Sale Sharks (Friday, 7.45pm, Salford City Stadium)

15 Elliott Obatoyinbo, 14 Adam Radwan, 13 Matias Moroni, 12 Matias Orlando, 11 Ben Stevenson, 10 Brett Connon, 9 Sam Stuart; 1 Adam Brocklebank, 2 Jamie Blamire, 3 Eduardo Bello, 4 Philip van der Walt, 5 Sebastian de Chaves, 6 Freddie Lockwood, 7 Sam Cross, 8 Callum Chick (captain).

Replacements: Bryan Byrne, Murray McCallum, Richard Palframan, John Kelly, John Hawkins, Josh Bainbridge, Guy Pepper, Ollie Leatherbarrow, Josh Barton, Josh Thomas, Louie Johnson, Iwan Stephens, George Wacokecoke, Zach Kerr, Rory Jennings, Tom Penny, Louis Brown.

Referee: Hamish Smales.

Apparently, rolling subs.
By Yareet
SSR wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:08 pm
Newcastle Falcons team v Sale Sharks (Friday, 7.45pm, Salford City Stadium)

15 Elliott Obatoyinbo, 14 Adam Radwan, 13 Matias Moroni, 12 Matias Orlando, 11 Ben Stevenson, 10 Brett Connon, 9 Sam Stuart; 1 Adam Brocklebank, 2 Jamie Blamire, 3 Eduardo Bello, 4 Philip van der Walt, 5 Sebastian de Chaves, 6 Freddie Lockwood, 7 Sam Cross, 8 Callum Chick (captain).

Replacements: Bryan Byrne, Murray McCallum, Richard Palframan, John Kelly, John Hawkins, Josh Bainbridge, Guy Pepper, Ollie Leatherbarrow, Josh Barton, Josh Thomas, Louie Johnson, Iwan Stephens, George Wacokecoke, Zach Kerr, Rory Jennings, Tom Penny, Louis Brown.

Referee: Hamish Smales.

Apparently, rolling subs.
I'm less knowledgeable about Falcons but that would seem to be almost their first XV
By Olyy
Other than Guy Pepper not starting that does look like their 1sts to me too

Ollie Leatherbarrow on the bench, once, briefly, of this parish - was captain at u18s before swapping to Chiefs academy when he went to Exeter Uni
Was in the same academy year as Gourlay, J.Bedlow, Nye, Tumy, Caine and Ewan Murphy
By LJK
So now we learn that it is a team of more than 23 players, presumably we will see most or all of our available squad, minus the obvious injured players. Will be great to see the mix of 1st team and younger ones
By Olyy
Obi Ene in today's social media post of training so hopefully see him get a good chunk of game time
Curtis prominent in them too so hopefully a start for him 🤞
By SSR
A "not-so-friendly" then. We really can't afford a lot of injuries, but Falcons playing
for their places and contract renewals. An accident waiting to happen.
Nothing unsual there then playing Newcastle.
dinogyro liked this
By SSR
On a side note, on the video it shows Falcons practicing the tactic of flopping on top
of the opposition tackler on the wrong side of the ball. Is that legal ? Just call me naive.
By Flumpty
SSR wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:50 am
On a side note, on the video it shows Falcons practicing the tactic of flopping on top
of the opposition tackler on the wrong side of the ball. Is that legal ? Just call me naive.
aka doing a Chiefs
Falcons

Safe travel to all fans heading up!

Cliff

Heaton Moor 2nds 54 Congleton 2nds 17. KO 12 n[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]