By Olyy
Sale Sharks Starting XV:  
15. Joe Carpenter, 14. Tom O’Flaherty, 13. Sam James, 12. Rekeiti Ma’asi-White, 11. Arron Reed, 10. Rob du Preez, 9. Raffi Quirke, 1. Ross Harrison, 2. Tommy Taylor, 3. Nick Schonert, 4. Ben Bamber, 5. Josh Beaumont, 6. Cam Neild, 7. Sam Dugdale, 8. Will Riley.  

Replacements:  
Agustin Creevy, Ralph McEachran, Adam Aigbokhae, Tye Raymont, James Harper, Tom Burrow, Ciaran Booth, Tristan Woodman, Nye Thomas, Tom Curtis, Osian Roberts, Obi Ene, Telusa Veainu, Albert Bradshaw
Sharks have named a larger than usual bench featuring Caldy RFC trialists Adam Aigbokhae and former Sharks Academy forward Ciaran Booth.

Disappointing that Tom Curtis doesn't get a start, and concerning that Luke James is still out
Good to see Raffi get a start

Edit: Twitter has Gus starting?
By SSR
I am not sure what the purpose is of this match now.
Are we saying that this is the likely starting 15 against the must win Bath match?
By SSR
Excuse my ignorance but Will Riley?
According to the Offy he is
Nationality Date of Birth Height Weight
English 14/11/2003 104cm 187kg

A real bowling ball ?
By Yareet
SSR wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:02 pm
Excuse my ignorance but Will Riley?
According to the Offy he is
Nationality Date of Birth Height Weight
English 14/11/2003 104cm 187kg

A real bowling ball ?
3’5” and 29.5st? Wow!
Last edited by Yareet on Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Olyy
FarnhamShark wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:36 pm
At least he's on the offy. Who is Adam Aigbokhae?
On trial from Caldy:
Sharks have named a larger than usual bench featuring Caldy RFC trialists Adam Aigbokhae and former Sharks Academy forward Ciaran Booth.
By Lord Elpus
DavenportSharky wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:18 pm
Albert Bradshaw. Is he related to Alf, Audrey or Billy?
He's at SGS so I think so. Played for the U18 in the league finals last season.
By Evo
Slightly, or really concerning that there is no JLP, Tom Ellis or Rouban Birch in the mix - assuming DLP and Cobus are done for the season. Serious concerns that the back 5 will be physical and experienced enough to push on as the season develops.....hopefully Ben and the aforementioned JLP, TE will show up vs Saints plus Si Mc and Bevan.
Fingers crossed.
By Olyy
Not sure if Ellis is due back this season - "Shattered" his toe, according to Axe

Birch looked like he'd done his shoulder, not sure how long that puts him out for

JLDP I can't remember what injury he had - hamstring? he's in the video of them doing tackle drills so can't be far off, if he's still injured, or maybe he's just not being risked as he's too important?
RinTin liked this
By Evo
Sadly rather half empty than half full......on the other hand it allows the youngsters to step up and grab an opportunity....attitude often usurps proven capability.......
By The Back Row
Seen similar views elsewhere, but what the hell is the point of this.

The league goes to 10 teams and expects us to be loyal passionate fans, involved in the drama and storylines, dedicated to our clubs... until they need to take 8 weeks off to promote an entirely different product which many club fans dont engage with.

But to keep us engaged throughout an 8 week mid season break we are playing a 'derby' game against a team from 3 hours away, and putting out half a side full of kids or people we don't know.

Its a farce we need this game to keep us interesting, its an insult to suggest this will achieve that.

Even though it is free, I'm staying in to watch paint dry.
By Olyy
I don't get the anger at the side, tbh - I'd be surprised if that wasn't just every player we have fit
Who's not there that you'd expect to be, other than Warr and Bedlow?

Complaining about Riley starting when we literally don't have any fit 8s, other than Beaumont who is needed in the row because we have next to no fit locks

We put out our side in the prem and we complain about the same old faces being there and not trusting the youth, we put youth in this side and people complain about the same old faces being missing 🤷
By RinTin
Some reactions are a little over the top. This game actually allows our guys to play some rugby for the first time in weeks, with this gap in games being the result of the world cup and drop down to 10 teams (in previous years PRC would fill this gap).

This period of no rugby is a result of things we can't hold the club accountable for. We just need to understand they are working to a schedule outside of their control, and are trying to give gametime.

I for one want to see my team play, and look forward to seeing some of the youngsters make their first senior appearances for the team - got to be one of the highlights of their rugby careers to date.
Bucks1861, ageinghoody, Flumpty and 1 others liked this
By The Back Row
Fair enough, but i'll be watching the netball on Sky, as I only watch top level sport, not B Team friendlies.
By RinTin
The Back Row wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:21 am
Fair enough, but i'll be watching the netball on Sky, as I only watch top level sport, not B Team friendlies.
Dont attend/ watch any grassroots games or local rugby clubs? Shame if not as there are really good atmospheres there. Every die hard rugby fan should be supporting local.

Highly recommend the U20's 6 nations matches too as they are real end to end games. Worth a watch tonight (BBC Sport show it live) despite it not being top level rugby.

Shame PRTV can't get the friendlies on their site.
Flumpty liked this
By The Back Row
I coach juniors at my club, and attend first team games to stand with my lads and use it as a coaching tool.

But completely disengaged with a poor Sale team, a poor experience in a poor league with a two month break. Giving up ST next year as my son can't attend Friday nights, and has missed three games this year, and I am not going myself as it is such a poor offering.
By ChorltonShark
Hats off to the Newcastle fan stood next to me who's come all the way here to watch a friendly with about 5 Sale fans in the stadium.
By Olyy
Based on the twitter feed we must be approaching triple figures of penalties given away
By ChorltonShark
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:16 pm
If the score remains as it is / they will be very happy
They were. I wished them good luck with the rest of the season. At least we scored a few tries for a change, clutching at straws
By Surbiton_Shark
For the home fans that made the effort to go - did we try and play any rugby or just kicked it away as usual?
By ChorltonShark
There was a bit of kicking it away. But too many penalties, too many errors. Am I right in thinking that's the first time we've scored 4 tries all season?
By Olyy
ChorltonShark wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:09 pm
There was a bit of kicking it away. But too many penalties, too many errors. Am I right in thinking that's the first time we've scored 4 tries all season?
We've had three try BPs in the Prem this season: Gloucester at home, Bristol away and Newcastle at home, and one in the Champions Cup vs La Rochelle

Our 3 in the Prem is joint second worse (Tigers also have 3, Budgies have 1)
By DavenportSharky
28-31??

Tommy Taylor got the first try
Raffi got another one
Albert Bradshaw the last.

Smales was far too officious for a friendly- dozens of penalties and 3 yellows. Not sure what we learnt from that. It was bl@@dy freezing! Crowd of about 1500 possibly. Debbie Harry started at 10 and then moved to 13 when Sam James went off. Curtis got the 2nd half . Far too many substitutes. Would have been better to have just changed all 15 at half time. No obvious injuries.
SSR, Olyy liked this
By SSR
I think I have to mention a couple of highlights for me. Our second try was a thing of beauty
with great support and great hands. Also credit to Reedy McSpeedy for keeping Radwan
quiet and showing his skills ( mostly apart from gathering Curtis' chip through ).
The live feed to the screens was pretty useless. I still can't put names to faces with all
the rolling subs and also feel that having two teams swapped at half time would have
told us more. A cold and disappointing night.
By dinogyro
RinTin wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 pm
The Back Row wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:21 am
Dont attend/ watch any grassroots games or local rugby clubs? Shame if not as there are really good atmospheres there. Every die hard rugby fan should be supporting local.

Highly recommend the U20's 6 nations matches too as they are real end to end games. Worth a watch tonight (BBC Sport show it live) despite it not being top level rugby.

Shame PRTV can't get the friendlies on their site.
Sorry to go slightly OT, but I enjoyed the U2 Eng/Ire game.
RinTin liked this
By SSR
Sorry to go slightly OT, but I enjoyed the U2 Eng/Ire game.
Did they trial the smart dummies in the match?
Flumpty, Yareet liked this
By Evo
Raffi did have a sharp, robust game....passing on the money, sniping (our second try down to his ability to cut a line) and rather worryingly tacking above his weight grade...very encouraging. That said Nye Thomas also showed up very well, if he can bulk up little we have two excellent sharp scrum halves.....
Never ending word association thread

Seven https://youtu.be/0e4Odk-v3oU?si=7nsF0jSeZinF[…]

Falcons

Not sure the citing comission can get involved - y[…]

Heaton Moor 2nds 54 Congleton 2nds 17. KO 12 n[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]