By RinTin
Sale Sharks Starting XV:  
15. Joe Carpenter, 14. Tom O’Flaherty, 13. Rob du Preez ©, 12. Rekeiti Ma’asi-White, 11. Arron Reed, 10. Tom Curtis, 9. Gus Warr, 1. Bevan Rodd, 2. Tommy Taylor, 3. Nick Schonert, 4. Cobus Wiese, 5. Josh Beaumont, 6. Ernst van Rhyn, 7. Sam Dugdale, 8. JL du Preez.  

Replacements:  
Agustin Creevy, Ross Harrison, Si McIntyre, James Harper, Hyron Andrews, Ben Bamber, Cam Neild, Tristan Woodman, Will Riley, Raffi Quirke, Sam James, Joe Bedlow, Osian Roberts, Obi Ene, Telusa Veainu.

Rodd, Wiese, JLDP, Ross and Si Mac all back in the mix. Huge for the run in.

Still no sign of Luke James or Connor Doherty though.
By DavenportSharky
NORTHAMPTON SAINTS vs SALE SHARKS
Friday 15 March, 2024
cinch Stadium at Franklin’s Gardens
Kick-off: 7.45pm

15 George Hendy
14 James Ramm
13 Tom Litchfield
12 Burger Odendaal
11 Ollie Sleightholme
10 Charlie Savala
9 Jake Garside

1 Emmanuel Iyogun
2 Tom Cruse
3 Trevor Davison
4 Temo Mayanavanua
5 Tom Lockett
6 Courtney Lawes
7 Lewis Ludlam (c)
8 Juarno Augustus

Replacements:
Robbie Smith
Alex Waller
Ethan Waller
Paul Hill
Chunya Munga
Alex Moon
Angus Scott-Young
Sam Graham
Jonny Weimann*
Joel Matavesi
Tom Seabrook
Will Glister
Ewan Baker
By Olyy
Great to see Bevan, JL, Cobus and SiMac back - and Curtis getting a start
By Olyy
Bedlow's wrist in a cast on his Instagram story - hopefully Manu comes through this weekend unscathed!
By Evo
Any news on Ben Curry? Do we know whether he'll make the Bath fixture?

Any news on Tom Ellis?
By Olyy
Discipline not improved, think we're on double digit penalties in under 8mins

Curtis injured after 3m, but staying on after spending quite a bit of time with the physios
By Olyy
Schonert off injured after 21mins - looked like foot/ankle? Maybe a flare up of the injury they said he's managing this season?
By Olyy
Rodd off at 26mins - not sure why, didn't look injured
Had just given away a penalty for handbags but doubt he'd get subbed for that
By Beardedshark
Penalties again. Don’t understand the lack of discipline. Most offences seem intentional not accidental
By Clutch
We have scored 2 tries. Look at our backs though. Lots of unproven and bang average players. Re coaching I don’t understand what’s happened. We used to be so slick in early Deacon days.
By Olyy
Great break by Riley, about the only highlight of this 2nd half so far
By HerefordShark
Olyy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:57 pm
Scrum is getting battered
Harper just doesn't seem up to it at this level, he's young and still got time but at the moment it feels like he's getting battered every time he plays.
By RinTin
Will Riley is a monster. Real prospect.

Also Obi Ene is a unit of a winger, size of the legs on that bugger. Hopefully he get some ball in space.

For all the issues so far, that O Flaherty try was poetry in motion. Perfect.

Edit - right after posting Obi gets the ball in space. Knock on….
By FarnhamShark
Don't understand the tactics. Raffi's box kicking is average at best, but he's great with ball in hand. Overall, though, I'd say there's lots to work on, except that's what we should have been doing already. Please can we have a new forwards coach?
Oh Danny Boy liked this
By Oh Danny Boy
Fingers crossed Rodd and Jean Luc substitutions were precautionary. What day of the week is the injury update usually given?
By DavenportSharky
We had to get through three looseheads last night so no real surprise that Bevan went off. Similarly I guess we wanted another look at other options at 8
Oh Danny Boy liked this
By Clutch
Suggesting Rafis box kicking is average at best is nonsense. He undercooked a few but so does Warr v often. Rafi has much more power and height than Warr, which isn’t hard. So when he gets it right his kicking is better than Warrs. Certainly on paper. On the pitch Warrs is undoubtably currently better but that should change with gametime.
By FarnhamShark
Raffi's kicks are certainly better than Gus' "when he gets it right". The problem at the moment is that he doesn't get it right often enough, which is why I described them as "average". The new tactic of the vertical box kick, which gains about 5 yards if you're lucky enough to regain possession, seemed to be our only means of attack for the whole of the second half. We scored two good tries in the first half, but never looked remotely like scoring again. I really had no idea what our game plan was. Multiple changes didn't help, but we should still be able to see what the coaches are trying to achieve.
RinTin liked this
By RinTin
It's fair to class his box kicking as average at best. I would describe his bk's as unreliable and erratic at times. Yes he hits a few well every now and then, but in the Saints game it was the chaser getting him out of jail on a few occasions (Flats twice from memory).

It's a weaker part of his game when compared to other scrum halves. I'm not saying it is bad, but it's an area I would certainly like him to improve at. With game time it will come.
By poyntonshark
RinTin wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:24 pm
It's a weaker part of his game when compared to other scrum halves. I'm not saying it is bad, but it's an area I would certainly like him to improve at. With game time it will come.
The only valid explanation that I could come up with for choosing this tactic AFTER Warr had left the field was to give Raffi some practice in match conditions. Which frightens me. We regained possession from several box kicks, which seems to be our major attacking plan, the gaping hole in the plan, is that we scored ZERO points using this tactic.
By Clutch
Maybe it is average in which case Warr is overrated. He undercooks them just as much as Rafi. Guess his ability is exaggerated as it is one of Warrs areas of relative strength.
Never ending word association thread

Keith

Falcons

Not on TNT??? I think it's PRTV only

Heaton Moor 2nds 54 Congleton 2nds 17. KO 12 n[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]