By SSR
Just been looking through the Offy squad details.
Am I right in thinking the only senior TH prop we have is Nic Schonert ?
The youngsters include James Harper, Callum Ford, Patreece Bell and Asher O-F.
I thought Si Mac could double up as a TH and Asher O-F could double up as a LH,
am I wrong?
The situation with James Harper seems a bit confused as he seems to have fallen off a
cliff performance wise.
Can anyone help me with assessment of the other youngsters Callum Ford and Patreece Bell?
With the push/pull situation with England over Asher's position, we seem a bit short on
cover at TH?
By Olyy
Think SiMac played a little bit of tighthead off the bench back in the days when you had one prop on the bench but realistically is a loosehead,

Asher plays both sides but has said he wants to play tighthead longterm going forwards - England say they want him at loosehead, so that might turn his head. Hope not though, as he's such a talent at 3

Harper I don't think counts as academy anymore - 24 now, I think? Young in prop terms, but still a senior player

Bell looked very green in the u20s (and not just because of his shirt colour) - realistically 18/19yr old tightheads aren't prem ready, Asher is very much an outlier with his talent.
For example England u20s starting tighthead this 6N hasn't played any senior rugby for Bath yet (prem cup or otherwise)

Does feel like we're a little short on the senior side - Schonert and Harper both injury prone, and like you said: Harper looks a shadow of the promising talent he looked a couple of seasons ago

Callum Ford went on loan to Coventry for a bit before Christmas, no idea how much game time he got though
SSR liked this
By Yareet
Olyy wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:03 am
Think SiMac played a little bit of tighthead off the bench back in the days when you had one prop on the bench but realistically is a loosehead,

Asher plays both sides but has said he wants to play tighthead longterm going forwards - England say they want him at loosehead, so that might turn his head. Hope not though, as he's such a talent at 3

Harper I don't think counts as academy anymore - 24 now, I think? Young in prop terms, but still a senior player

Bell looked very green in the u20s (and not just because of his shirt colour) - realistically 18/19yr old tightheads aren't prem ready, Asher is very much an outlier with his talent.
For example England u20s starting tighthead this 6N hasn't played any senior rugby for Bath yet (prem cup or otherwise)

Does feel like we're a little short on the senior side - Schonert and Harper both injury prone, and like you said: Harper looks a shadow of the promising talent he looked a couple of seasons ago

Callum Ford went on loan to Coventry for a bit before Christmas, no idea how much game time he got though
I may well be misremembering but did we start this season with Sharky, Jones and Harper with the likes of Asher, Ford and Bell as junior options?

I assume that Jones was let go thanks to the rise of Asher and I wonder if (/suspect that)he has leapfrogged Harper.

Given Harper's issues, it does feel as if we need a more solid 3rd option. Asher and Sharky can't play every week - not least because of age/injuries respectively.
Last edited by Yareet on Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SSR
It does seem that Sharky does take a knee now at almost every opportunity.
I think we need a new frontline TH. My memory might be playing tricks, but didn't the
boss say at some point we were looking for a prop?
By SSR
The England setup must be looking at something we have not seen for a while.
There was some talk around the league about getting current referees in to explain
perceived problems. Constant pinging of Harper at the scrum would surely be one such
problem. If Harper can get back to some semblance of previous form then that would
go a long way to easing our TH situation.
I wondered if his height was a problem against smaller props? Is it the England scrum coaching?
By Clutch
We definitely need a new forwards coach. Think Harpers issues are top 2 inches. He’s enormous which is why England are interested but you don’t see him use that strength. He lacks aggression and gets out enthused and out muscled at times.
By Evo
I'm in the minority clearly here but I think Harper has immense potential , previous poster said he is 23, so plenty of time to develop. He seems an easy target to criticise but I feel there are more experienced players and coaches who perhaps should front up....I'm really hopeful and positive that his time will come......
Not long ago Sam James was being heavily lambasted for his performances but now the walls are falling in with the thought of him leaving... we are fickle posters.....
By Olyy
Don't think anyone denies Harper has potential, it's just realising that potential that's the question mark

Since his latest big injury he just doesn't look the same
SSR, Alex liked this

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]

Falcons

Their team doesn't look that bad on paper. bu[…]

Tom Curry OMG

I just hope he takes his time and is patient. Jus[…]

Queen