By Flumpty
errrrr, we won 24 - 20

was nothing about the game postworthy by anyone ?
By chris1850
Not a great game TBH. We were somewhat error prone ball in hand, frequently dropping it and being turned over rather too often.

Denny finished well for both his tries, particularly the first. Forwards generally went well and AVDM looked real class. Jonno and Curry also had good games. The scrum looked pretty solid all game and we won several penalties as a result.
Oosthuizen replaced John for the last 20 minutes and acquitted himself well.

In the backs, Marland looked a yard slower than before his injury but I guess he needs to regain match fitness over the next few weeks. He was replaced after 50 minutes or so by Byron. Redpath showed some nice touches. Can't help feeling RDP is a bit predictable ball in hand. For me, AJ remains first choice at the moment.

I worried when Wasps moved the ball out wide. They always seemed to gain yards running at James and Denny who seemed prone to step up too soon without effect.

Still, a win is a win and whilst the overall performance fell short of what we are hoping for this season, they showed good character to come back from 20-10 down.
By Lord Elpus
Pleased with the result, disappointed with the performance. We had little penetration and fluency whereas Wasps passed the ball well. Our 10 kicked even shorter than Sir Charlie Hodgson.
By Van Cannonball
Missed this one as away currently, but I would imagine we missed some go-forward in the absence of both Rohan and the twins.

They will be key for this season.
By Clutch
Yep. Missed the twins. Rob Du Preez looked a lot better when Cliff came on. Papier was poor I think. The centre partnership didn’t work at all. It may work better when we have more go forward from the pack.
Beaumont should be playing 8. He makes about 3 carries a game which didn’t work as an 8. His lineout decision making was also poor. They were a walking yellow but we kept going wide off the back of the line.

Nice finishes by Denny. Yarde is a long way off, but great to see him back. Hammersley will start the season at 15.

Ref was out of his depth which didn’t help at all. Ruined the game really. Bless him. He will learn from that.

All in all delighted with the win. We were terrible and battled back to win. Not a game we would have won last season. Good signs.
By Thekeg
Surprised there’s been so few comments.

Some from me in no particular order

We were terrible after scoring early on and half time. We struggled to get over the gainline, dropping the ball, half backs who looked like they didn’t know each other. Ross is normally so reliable but he must have had 4 or 5 handling errors today.

I thought wasps also hammered us as the breakdown and played the refs liberal interpretation of the offside line.

Set piece always good but beyond that we were dire in first 40

In the second half we actually played as if we knew we had them on toast in the mail and used it to better effect. The scrum also remained strong and we made fewer errors. Two tries came from much better handling and finishing

I thought we very clearly missed the Du preez twins and Rohan. Those three give us so much go forward. Hammersley also needs to start against Gloucester, Yarde will need a number of weeks to get up to speed.

Papier struggles with a team unable to get over the gainline without dropping it. Cliff was solid when he came on. Not sure who should start v Gloucester.

I thought Beaumont looked out of position at 8. He looks very much like a second row these days and should stay there.

Good to win when playing badly but we need to be better then this for Gloucester
By poyntonshark
Clutch, should your first point about Beaumont read he shouldn't be playing at 8.

If not could you please expand, I can't make sense of it otherwise.

I take it from the comments that the highlights video will be a short one this week.
By Thekeg
poyntonshark wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:27 am
Clutch, should your first point about Beaumont read he shouldn't be playing at 8.

If not could you please expand, I can't make sense of it otherwise.

I take it from the comments that the highlights video will be a short one this week.
He definitely means shouldn’t.

It will be a two minute highlight job. Only the live televised games get longer highlights
By Flumpty
maybe a daft question - did anyone else's Reflink keep cutting in and out ? I don't know if its mine, or the sysytem that wasn't playing fair.

Cam Redpath isn't a prop centre like R Rohan. He'll be black and blue today after being double tackled all afternoon ! His passing was sublime at times.

After 2 mins I thought that we'd win handsomely - it was like men against annoying black and yellow insects. Wasps came back into it fair and square (was it some missed first upo tackling that created the space for them ? - how many people kept looking at the big screen for replays ?)
Good to see Marland Yarde & Jono Ross back in the saddle.
Ben Curry gets better each game.

This is a game that we would probably have lost last season.
By MazzieGTR34
Mine kept going in and out in the first half and then it just went altogether in the second half.
Flumpty liked this
By Flumpty
MazzieGTR34 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:28 am
Mine kept going in and out in the first half and then it just went altogether in the second half.
cheers Mazzie. I think that you'vejust saved me a few £ replacing something that isn't broken !
By Clutch
Yeah. Couldn’t. Can’t find the edit button on this forum.
Shame Moore didn’t get any time.
By chris1850
Clutch wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:19 am
Yeah. Couldn’t. Can’t find the edit button on this forum.
Shame Moore didn’t get any time.
On the post wot you wrote, press the gear button. That then allows you to edit the post
By Surbiton_Shark
The Keg summed up my feelings pretty much up!

The De Prez twins and Rohan will make our very hardworking team into a real top 4 unit.

Dimes comments post match pretty much sumed it up nicely - good opening 10, took our chances second half with some good defence - the first of it - not good.

I'm fairly glad there was no TMO at the game - Denny's hit on Paolo didn't look totally legit.......our scrum half literally couldn't have timed his kick better

For me the game completely changed when Cliff came on - we went from zero structure to everyone looking like they knew what we should be doing and where they should be.

Jonno I think lost the ball 3 times in contact which was unlike him and Ashton seemed rusty as well.

I hope we see Curtis at 10 again soon

Think our new SA hooker will be a real cracker with ball in hand
By Thekeg
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:41 pm
The Keg summed up my feelings pretty much up!

The De Prez twins and Rohan will make our very hardworking team into a real top 4 unit.

Dimes comments post match pretty much sumed it up nicely - good opening 10, took our chances second half with some good defence - the first of it - not good.

I'm fairly glad there was no TMO at the game - Denny's hit on Paolo didn't look totally legit.......our scrum half literally couldn't have timed his kick better

For me the game completely changed when Cliff came on - we went from zero structure to everyone looking like they knew what we should be doing and where they should be.

Jonno I think lost the ball 3 times in contact which was unlike him and Ashton seemed rusty as well.

I hope we see Curtis at 10 again soon

Think our new SA hooker will be a real cracker with ball in hand
Yes AVDM didn’t quite manage to steamroller anyone but he was certainly looking like he could. I think he will be better used once someone else gets over he gainline initially and he can move forward with a bit more momentum. Good to see the scrum and lineout work well with him on, particularly the scrum. He looks like a decent signing
By Flumpty

Surely this photo is photoshopped somehow.
Sam James is 6ft 4" and Doggy is 5ft 9"
By Thekeg
Flumpty wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Surely this photo is photoshopped somehow.
Sam James is 6ft 4" and Doggy is 5ft 9"
Hope he got penalised for a seatbelt.....
By Flumpty
Surprised that he could reach up far enough to attempt a seatbelt on SJ !
By Surbiton_Shark
ledzepsfr wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:45 am
Weren't wasps guilty of crossing for their 1st try?
I think the ref spotted it but Ashton was never going to get him anyhow so play on.

Denny's second try looked forward to me real-time and the replay confirmed it - lucky to get away with that
By Thekeg
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 am
ledzepsfr wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:45 am
Weren't wasps guilty of crossing for their 1st try?
I think the ref spotted it but Ashton was never going to get him anyhow so play on.

Denny's second try looked forward to me real-time and the replay confirmed it - lucky to get away with that
Yes, clearly forward!
By Yareet
Thekeg wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:01 am

He definitely means shouldn’t.

It will be a two minute highlight job. Only the live televised games get longer highlights
Going off on a tangent but regarding the highlights...

I've never been one to buy into the conspiracy theory about Sale being the forgotten team of the Premiership. However, I'm just looking at the televised PRC games.

Quins v Bristol
Exeter v Bath

Tigers v Exeter
Saints v Wasps

Wuss v Exeter
Saints v Sarries

Glaws v Bath
Exeter v Bristol

8 games so 16 teams. Every team in the Prem is involved … except Irish and Sale.
Three teams appear twice (Bristol, Bath and Saints). Chiefs are on TV every week!

Be interested to understand the rationale....
By Clutch
Let’s be honest we were terrible to watch a lot of last year. You can’t blame them. That will change if we continue to play good winning rugby.

I do worry sometimes though as when you watch other teams they do look better drilled. Obviously there are other factors than coaching but it’s going to a challenge for our coaching staff this season to get the most out of our squad. Let’s hope they succeed.
By Lord Elpus
Clutch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:03 pm
Let’s be honest we were terrible to watch a lot of last year. You can’t blame them. That will change if we continue to play good winning rugby.
.....and we reserved our worst performances for the tv cameras.
By Yareet
Clutch wrote:

I do worry sometimes though as when you watch other teams they do look better drilled. Obviously there are other factors than coaching but it’s going to a challenge for our coaching staff this season to get the most out of our squad. Let’s hope they succeed.
I don’t think we were worse than Wuss or Tigers.

And even if we were terrible, there can't be much rationale for showing one team 4 times in 4 weeks and 2 teams not at all.

Was Wuss v Chiefs really more likely to be a better game than us v Wasps or Bristol v Irish?
Leicester (on last season's form) v Chiefs more of a draw than Sarries v us or Irish's first home game back in the Prem (v Quins)?
Last edited by Yareet on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Thekeg
Clutch wrote:

I think it depends which area you are looking at. Ball in hand I’d agree that some other teams look good, but lots of them are also shipping stacks of tries (eg saints), an area where we mostly look pretty strong. Our set piece and mail also going pretty well.

Overall we look pretty well placed after 3 games, one poor half in those games is better than most sides
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]