I am reasonably hopeful about the coming season and appreciate that the squad
and in particular the first team, will need time to properly bed in.
The forwards ( with all available ) are looking immense.
However if I could make one addition, it would have to be to replace James O'Connor. Not necessarily like for like , but certainly to replace his skill set . Speed, tackling and handling to envy. Watching other teams I would love to steal Nick Tompkins from Saracens.
It may be that one of the youngsters may eventually turn out to be that missing ingredient that we now seem to be lacking in the centres.
I would love RJvR to be fit and firing every week, but he looks very fragile ( as did O'Connor) .
We have so much talent in the back three, I hope that someone will be found to ignite it.
With Faf back, the half backs seem solid. With AJ, points off the tee seem assured.
I may just be being greedy ( as Freddy Mercury said - I want it all ).
If you could steal one player to enhance our team ( realistically ) who would it be ?
Presumably we're not being realistic here? My pick would be Johnny Sexton - I think your word "solid" sums up both our 10s, so I'd really like to see someone who can ensure our back 3 get far more chances than they do (and his body language suggests that Denny agrees with me!).
MikeGC wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:55 pm
AndaleManito wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm
That's a good shout, would quite like to see it! Who would you put at 13, Rohan?
Sam James, the saffer 12 would alternate with du Preez
Very distributor heavy though, no real strike runner. Though also could work really well with back three coming of their wings into midfield.

One thing I have noticed these past 4 games is that none of our back three seem to be doing so, in comparison to say, Jack Nowell or Yarde before he got injured last year. I think now we have a proper full back we can afford for Denny/Yarde (not sure if Ashton is the right sort of player) to come off their wings looking for work.
AndaleManito wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:37 pm
MikeGC wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:55 pm
AndaleManito wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm
That's a good shout, would quite like to see it! Who would you put at 13, Rohan?
Sam James, the saffer 12 would alternate with du Preez
Very distributor heavy though, no real strike runner. Though also could work really well with back three coming of their wings into midfield.

One thing I have noticed these past 4 games is that none of our back three seem to be doing so, in comparison to say, Jack Nowell or Yarde before he got injured last year. I think now we have a proper full back we can afford for Denny/Yarde (not sure if Ashton is the right sort of player) to come off their wings looking for work.
Coming off his wing running support lines is what Ashton has made his career upon.
chris1850 liked this
poyntonshark wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:51 pm
Was about to write that may be changing as he gets older, but in his pomp, Ashton was the very epitome of the winger coming off his wing to look for work.
Oh yeah I completey get that, I didn't really explain that properly. For me, Ashton comes off his wing loads but once the initial break has been made, where as Nowell/Yarde are the ones to come into midfield as the line breaker themselves, who would then pass/offload to someone like Ashton to finish. I think those types of wingers need a bit of bulk to them, as they usually need to break a tackle to make the break, whereas Ashton is one of the best support runners to a linebreaker in the business. I don't really remember Ashton ever bumping someone off in midfield. But yeah I didn't really make clear what I think a "linebreaking" winger is.
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]