By Olyy
Little surprised to see Ben start, considering all the travelling he's done, but glad to see him back.

Ashton on paternity leave, I believe.

I would've started L.James, and probably MacGinty (but can understand giving him a reduced workload considering the lack of off/pre-season).

Very strong side, though - hopefully we can turn it up a notch this week against a strong Wasps side.
By Surbiton_Shark
Ashton has a hip problem and Denny hamstring (Sale Twitter interview with Dimes)

I personally would have started with Luke James but hopefully some good weather will allow Redpath to be more involved

We can’t surely play as poorly as last week. By my reckoning it was 46 minutes before we used Johan VR on a crash ball.......just brain dead play
By Elgar
J-L Du Preez on the bench...

I can see the argument for needing Phillips in the row over one of the DP twins but I'm not sure I see the same logic for Evans (much as I think he's great)?
By chris1850
Elgar wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:29 pm
J-L Du Preez on the bench...

I can see the argument for needing Phillips in the row over one of the DP twins but I'm not sure I see the same logic for Evans (much as I think he's great)?
Evans still our best line out option and with Akker starting.........
45jumper liked this
By Olyy
The Beaumont/Evans 2nd row definitely looks like one aimed at sorting the lineout issues
By Surbiton_Shark
Beaumont/Evans I think started against Irish - lost the first 3 or 4 lineouts then it was solid
Beaumont/Evans started against Bristol - less said the better :-)
By Elgar
Agree on the top quality of Evans as a line out jumper (as well as his general play in wider channels).

But shouldn't the lineout be absolutely fine with Beaumont as the primary jumper and Ross, Curry, DuP x 2 rotating around secondary and tail option?

To the extent not, is that not a systemic issue that would need a bit more than swapping one lock to sort?
By Lord Elpus
Imho Beaumont and Evans together are underpowered in the scrum and for carrying- you need one of Phillips or JL DP for more power.

Wasps have Jack Willis on the bench - wow!
By hirdyshark
Impressive team. Would maybe have picked Phillips ahead of Evans for the extra bulk in the scrum but can't complain. Hope Papier and Redpath go well.

Think we've got to target their breakdown and put their back 3 under pressure with the high ball. Forecast looks dry so hoping for a good performance in front of the TV cameras.
By StalyShark
Looks like we’ll be seeing one of the du Preez in the second row soon with Beaumont seemingly out for a while.
4. Evans 5. Phillips 19. Postlethwaite/ a du Preez
By Olyy
First and foremost: Delighted with the win, especially denying them the losing BP.
Hope Josh is OK - not sure what happened, maybe hyperextension of the knee on the jump? Looked bad whatever happened.

Papier had his best game for us yet - what a runner of the ball! Such a shame his try had to be scrubbed off (though it was the right call). Speed at the breakdown could go up a bit but his passing and kicking was on point all night.

Rohan getting back to his best - absolute bulldozer. Hope his gnashers are OK after eating Paolo's boot :yikes:

Thought L.James and A.MacGinty should've come on earlier.

Scrum was a worry in the first half but when the subs came on we started to dominate - Philips adds the bulk to the 2nd row and I think JCW is our best TH (think Coenie is a LH, really).

We're showing flashes of some really good rugby, just need to sort the silly mistakes/improve the accuracy.
By Surbiton_Shark
Josh B looked really bad - be surprised if he’s back this season

Bit concerning about our scrum first half

We just couldn’t get our attack going at all but mainly as Wasps just illegally stopped quick ball

Great win - need AJ to start at 10 and not sure why Redpath is starting ahead of Luke.

Very nice of Dai Young’s on interview to wish Josh B all the best - didn’t need to say that
45jumper liked this
By StalyShark
Concur with the AJ and Luke comments. AJ has a more influencial on the game than Rob atm and is far more secure off the tee. Luke is a better centre than Redpath right now as he looks too passive and isn’t having many positive outcomes on play. His time will I’m sure come but if Sam isn’t fit for Glasgow Luke should start.
By chris1850
Apparently Wasps gave away 21 penalties tonight. TBH they were lucky to get away with that. The number of times they were offside and not penalised in the first half in particular was ridiculous. The linesman in front of the West Stand gave Foley absolutely no help at all.
By poyntonshark
It is possible that Mr Foley told his ARs that he didn't require assistance for offsides. If so he was wrong, if not I don't know what the ARs were watching. I counted 20 Wasps penalties to our 8, yet we were the ones with 2 yellows, their red came from the final penalty of the night. Don't know how Cruse escaped a yellow for blatantly in at the side and pulling down the maul when we were heading forward at a rate of knots.

Papier looked good but did throw a few Daisy cutters. Van Cannonball and McGuigan almost looked as though they could step through Wasps at will, yet we seemed reluctant/unable to get the ball to them regularly. Mostly defensively sound, but Wasps didn't seem to have many ideas.

Clearly not performing to our potential yet, but this another result that we probably wouldn't have achieved last year.
By Flumpty
From reflink last night, one of the AR's was certainly chatting to the ref (if was the AR that ensured Hammersley got the yellow). I don't know about the other AR.
By TeflonTed
Well done, decent win.

Foley is useless. Listen to the BTS commentary team at around 71 mins, they are too polite to say he’s useless but clearly thought that.

And he cost us (Wuss) a win against Ex last week with a similar piece of incompetence.
By Lord Elpus
Fowley was outdone by Maxwell House at castle grim. Sorries conceded ten penalties in the red zone in less than five minutes without a card.
By Flumpty
TeflonTed wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:21 pm
Well done, decent win.

Foley is useless. Listen to the BTS commentary team at around 71 mins, they are too polite to say he’s useless but clearly thought that.

And he cost us (Wuss) a win against Ex last week with a similar piece of incompetence.
Via Reflink, (and from behind the posts !) he was OK . IMO, Evans communicated more "effectively" with him than Ross, in getting Sale into his "good books" although I'll accept someone telling me I'm talking pants if they felt that Jono was doing a better job.

Oddly enough, the fans of teams that win don't seem to biatch, moan and whine about the refs anywhere near as much as the fans of losing teams.
By TeflonTed
Flumpty wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:13 pm
TeflonTed wrote:
Well done, decent win.

Via Reflink, (and from behind the posts !) he was OK . IMO, Evans communicated more "effectively" with him than Ross, in getting Sale into his "good books" although I'll accept someone telling me I'm talking pants if they felt that Jono was doing a better job.

Oddly enough, the fans of teams that win don't seem to biatch, moan and whine about the refs anywhere near as much as the fans of losing teams.
Be interested in your opinion as to the 71 mins. Incident, hope ive got time ref correct, working from memory.
By Flumpty
TeflonTed wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:42 pm
Flumpty wrote:
TeflonTed wrote:
Well done, decent win.

Be interested in your opinion as to the 71 mins. Incident, hope ive got time ref correct, working from memory.
do you mean when Austin Healey saying "he can do want he wants, he's in the air. If anything its a penaly for Wasps for challenging the man in air" - when Doggy went all Hong Kong Phoeey on Rohan van PropCentre. Which was absolute and complete pants.

Do you mean when Healey was bleating about a penaly that went to Sale, rather than Wasps - if so, c'est la vie. The commentaters are paid to "add colour" for a tv audience and are supported by multiple TV pictures from many angles, at varying speeds. The ref sees it at real time speed, from one angle only.

I'd be a lot more interested in what the mouth pieces were saying about referees if they had a refereeing qualification (at ANY level) , rather than purely from a playing perspective.
By TeflonTed
Flumpty wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:34 pm
TeflonTed wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:42 pm
Flumpty wrote:

do you mean when Austin Healey saying "he can do want he wants, he's in the air. If anything its a penaly for Wasps for challenging the man in air" - when Doggy went all Hong Kong Phoeey on Rohan van PropCentre. Which was absolute and complete pants.

Do you mean when Healey was bleating about a penaly that went to Sale, rather than Wasps - if so, c'est la vie. The commentaters are paid to "add colour" for a tv audience and are supported by multiple TV pictures from many angles, at varying speeds. The ref sees it at real time speed, from one angle only.

I'd be a lot more interested in what the mouth pieces were saying about referees if they had a refereeing qualification (at ANY level) , rather than purely from a playing perspective.
The second I think, and it wasn’t just Oz, who, answer all know is majorly irritating. From memory Loz also wasn’t impressed...but as you say, c’est la vie!
By Van Cannonball
Having watched it back, I think the performance was better than I’d thought live.

We opened them up a good few times, and our line defence, other than struggling with a couple of early kicks, was very strong.

We just never got far enough ahead to start pressing advantage by going for corner, but if we had I think we’d have pulled away quite easily.

Redpath had a good few touches and contributed more than prior games.
By chris1850
Just watched Paolos kung fu kick and it is far worse than it looked live. It looked very cynical. Coupled with his attitude at being rightly red carded, I hope he gets a lengthy ban. I liked him during his time here but he let himself down badly on Friday night.

Glad he has apologised.
By Thekeg
Seems pretty amazing that we are effectively sat third despite not really playing that well so far. If we can get out of third gear then there’s a real opportunity to do well this year. Only Saints have really fired and it seems that Bath really beat them up on Saturday, so they have weaknesses to target as well.
By Rich E
Totally agree with the above - we seemed to have stuttered so far, albeit beaten Irish twice away (against pretty well the same 15), once very well, and once deservedly and a losing bonus point away at a team who've just turned over the Chiefs.
Assuming we can navigate the second row issue I think we'll kick on when we continue to bed in the new players.
Dare I say Denny and Ashton starting again will add further spark.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]