hmmm... I hope we keep him. He hasn't quite found the form recently but he's one of those players you just know will be an international in the next five years. I really see him as a full back long term though.
By Olyy
I'm guessing a rumour created/leaked by his agent more than anything.
Contract renewals coming up and he's not exactly impressed at senior level yet - combine rumours of the big boys sniffing about with his inclusion in an England training session and it might get a few more quid on the table.
By Clutch
Different now we are up to the cap.

If, for example, Bath are offering him 50k more than we think he is worth then we are in a difficult position.

1. He's not exactly impressed.
2. We want to play with a big ball carrying 12
3. He's not going to dislodge James at 13.

I don't want to be losing young players who are once in a generation touted talents, but losing him doesn't mean that we are abandoning youth in favour of SA as a long term measure.
By Clutch
Yes, with a couple of significant caveats.

1. Luke is physically much bigger due to being a converted back row player.
2. Redpath has had a significant injury which takes time.

No reason why Redpath isn't still the player with much more potential in the long run. Just a question of quantifying that! If someone told me had to lose one, then I'd have to go with my eyes, rather than the reputation of the players at U20 level. James didn't even make some of those squads.
By Thekeg
AndaleManito wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:52 pm
hmmm... I hope we keep him. He hasn't quite found the form recently but he's one of those players you just know will be an international in the next five years. I really see him as a full back long term though.
Not based on anything he’s done at club level. He’s looked off the pace so far and been physically dominated. It’s all based on age group rugby and not sure how reliable that is

As suggested above, Luke James is less “fashionable” among England age groups but has done it at prem level
Olyy liked this
Listening to the post match press conference on JB’s Twitter I don’t think Dimes is too pleased with Redpath. Said he has three years on his contract and isn’t leaving but I think from how he answered Redpath isn’t in the good books!
By Thekeg
StalyShark wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:44 am
Listening to the post match press conference on JB’s Twitter I don’t think Dimes is too pleased with Redpath. Said he has three years on his contract and isn’t leaving but I think from how he answered Redpath isn’t in the good books!
Yes that was my impression too and I can understand it. He needs to actually put in some performances and earn a regular spot in the 23 first of all

“ Bath are also reported to have signed Sale Sharks centre Cameroon Redpath which would come as some blow to the Manchester club as the son of Scotland great Bryan is tipped for a bright international future having already been called up to train with England by Eddie Jones.

Redpath, 20, has reportedly signed a three-year deal to sign for Bath.
By stevene
Well hes in contract so compensation will be due unless the club decide otherwise.

Not sure I get the L James is better than Redpath point. L James has had 3 years of first team rugby and is only now starting to look comfortable. Redpath played a couple of games last season, has had major knee surgery and is still considered (by many better judges than us) to be quite the talent.

Personally hope we can keep him and give him game time. However by doing so might be impossible if we need to match other offers (irrespective of whether he is under contract). This is where a top 4 DOR earns his corn. Retaining the best and bringing through the right talent. Different situation for Dimes than previously.
By Olyy
stevene wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:31 am
ames has had 3 years of first team rugby and is only now starting to look comfortable.
That's not true, he has looked more than at home since at least mid last season. Looked good in the centres early on, shaky when moved to 15 but grew into the role very well - this season he has been brilliant.

Him being part of the senior side for three seasons, despite only being a couple of months older than Redpath, says it all - even if Redpath has had a number of injuries there's a big disparity between the trust shown by the coaches between the two players.

Don't get where this "He looked great at age grade" has come from - he was very forgettable at England u20s - unless we're on about u18s, which isn't particularly relevant to senior form.
Doherty is having a better age grade run, in a poorer England side, than Redpath did.

If he comes good, and he might, then he could be a good player. I've seen absolutely nothing to warrant the amount of hype around him, though. If his name was Joe Bloggs this conversation wouldn't be happening.
By Flumpty
Tigger wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 am
https://www.salesharks.com/2020/02/24/c ... le-sharks/

Cam has left the club......
That reads as clear as clear that Redpath was offski and didn't want a part in what was happening at Sale.

You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink etc, etc.

I hope that his career move works well for him (& that he has a stinker whenever he plays us).
By Thekeg
Clearly a story here, the fact he’s gone immediately suggests he really didn’t want to be here. Will be interesting to see where bath play him as I wonder whether it’s partly due to where he wants to play. He’s always been a 12 but we seem to want him to be a 13
By stevene
Olyy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:39 am
stevene wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:31 am
ames has had 3 years of first team rugby and is only now starting to look comfortable.
That's not true, he has looked more than at home since at least mid last season. Looked good in the centres early on, shaky when moved to 15 but grew into the role very well - this season he has been brilliant.

Him being part of the senior side for three seasons, despite only being a couple of months older than Redpath, says it all - even if Redpath has had a number of injuries there's a big disparity between the trust shown by the coaches between the two players.

Don't get where this "He looked great at age grade" has come from - he was very forgettable at England u20s - unless we're on about u18s, which isn't particularly relevant to senior form.
Doherty is having a better age grade run, in a poorer England side, than Redpath did.

If he comes good, and he might, then he could be a good player. I've seen absolutely nothing to warrant the amount of hype around him, though. If his name was Joe Bloggs this conversation wouldn't be happening.
Its a moot point now but sorry I will stand corrected. Luke started to look at home mid way through last season. This is his first full season where he now looks like an established member of the squad. Redpath made is league debut in March 19 (11 months ago) compared to Luke James 3 years ago.

Its got nothing to do with his name. Clearly you know better than Dimes (who looked mightly miffed about the likelihood of him going) and various England selectors who have earmarked him as a talent since he was 16.

Yes i agree he looks out of place now. But so did numerous other players in their first full season both current and now former Sale players.

The hype might not be real, time will tell and you may well be right. However making the same statement time and time again doesn't make it any more or less accurate. The point I am making is your comparison is slanted and your judgment is rushed (IMHO) on the fact it is a limited and slanted comparison in terms of time in first team rugby. Players take time to development to first team rugby (at least 1 full season for me with the odd exception from what I can see).

When I look at Redpath and where he is now I see a lot of other talented players who have gone onto to rep honours. However I also see players who through injury, lack of game time or inability to take the next step are not and will never reach that level. We will find that out watching from afar now whether you are right or wrong.

As an aside I do wonder (considering Lozowski was rumoured to be interesting Bath) as whether this transfer fee will (ultimately) end up going to Sarries with Lozowski coming to us. The potential signing of Lozowski may have also been the trigger for Redpath to look to move on.
Olyy liked this
By Olyy
As an after thought - this six figure fee: is that in the cap?
Like, do Bath have £100k+ spare?
Or is it spread out over the next three years as it's for three seasons worth of contract?
By stevene
Flumpty wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:07 pm
Tigger wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 am
https://www.salesharks.com/2020/02/24/c ... le-sharks/

Cam has left the club......
That reads as clear as clear that Redpath was offski and didn't want a part in what was happening at Sale.

You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink etc, etc.

I hope that his career move works well for him (& that he has a stinker whenever he plays us).
Thats maybe a tad harsh. Perhaps he saw his development was going to be even more blocked and didnt think he would have the opportunity to "be part of what is happening at Sale". Players ultimately need to consider their careers as much clubs need to consider the strength of their squad.

This is the start of a crucial time for us. I genuinely don't hope we lose the ethos (over the next few years) of blooding talent for which Dimes has re-established the club. Not doing is a long term road to nowhere (see Sarries and Tigers for very different reasons) and where they were 3-5 years ago and are now. We have to get that balance right moving forward and trust we will do. Blooding Sam and Luke James, Tom and Ben Curry, Ross Harrison et al was a necessity 3-4 years ago. It isn't now.

PS regardless also hope he has a shocker every time he plays against us.
By stevene
Olyy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:25 pm
As an after thought - this six figure fee: is that in the cap?
Like, do Bath have £100k+ spare?
Or is it spread out over the next three years as it's for three seasons worth of contract?
transfer receipts are allowed as an offset vs the cap, fees paid are included in cap spend in the year.

the accounting treatment will be different and amortised over the economic life (eg initial contract) as you see in football clubs accounts.
By StalyShark
Something makes me think that when he was dropped earlier in the year he didn’t like it much; went through ages grades thinking he was the best thing since Beauden Barrett and has found men’s rugby tough.
Olyy liked this
By scotchyl
On the matter of immediate release, wasnt there someone else released with immediate effect earlier this season. Dimes in last post match interview mentioned 3 new signings of internationals, but surely if he was part of sales future and homegrown he would make more sense. Where is Basil at the moment anyway.
By chris1850
scotchyl wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:51 pm
On the matter of immediate release, wasnt there someone else released with immediate effect earlier this season. Dimes in last post match interview mentioned 3 new signings of internationals, but surely if he was part of sales future and homegrown he would make more sense. Where is Basil at the moment anyway.
He is a financial adviser living in Knutsford. Could always go to this and ask a few pertinent questions!!

An evening with Brush, 7:30pm on Tuesday, 25th February 2020
He wasn’t halfway into a 5 year contract, and clearly he has looked elsewhere or had his head turned by an approach, which would be rejected if he wasn’t happy. Dimes says his negotiations failed. I presume he was only negotiating because he had said he was off.

If someone wants to go you should let them go ASAP because otherwise there is a danger they start to poison the rest of the squad, so good that he is gone in those circs.

It would certainly explain why Dimes would sound peeved about him when interviewed.

He hasn’t shown enough as yet for me.

I’m genuinely excited if Lozowski does come, especially on the basis of his recent performance against us in a losing cause in the Cup comp. he was a revelation. Fingers crossed.
By Yareet
scotchyl wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:51 pm
Moore went to Cardiff immediately
By chris1850
Sorry to see Cam leave. Particularly if it was under a cloud. At the end of the day though, if he has had his head turned, or if he is unhappy then it is pointless trying to keep him, as Basil says above.

He clearly has talent and promise but, tbh, promise is all he has at the moment. He hasnt broken through yet to be a regular in our 23 and he hasnt really shown anything too much in the first team opportunities he has had with us. I appreciate he had a bad injury which is bound to have hindered his progress, and the jury is still out as to his best (preferred?) position.

I hope he is able to kick on by making a move and that it works out well for him, but I am not totally dismayed by him leaving if it gives an opportunity to another talented youngster who may be more committed. Anybody know anything about Joe Bedlow, who I believe is well regarded as a young centre?
It's always going to be a struggle to keep all players happy and retain our youth whilst we bring in international quality players.

Good luck for Redpath - I suspect he needs a few years to bulk up. Certainly he didn't really make much of an impression when he started for us and at his size was easily tackled and driven backwards.

It's interesting that not many players who have left us have prospered elsewhere (at least in terms of international recognition) and as we're on the up it's those kind of clubs that get international recognition with callups

Hopefully there were no bridges burnt in this process
Sounds like he wanted an improved deal which I guess would be based on Eddie Jones interest and media hype rather than anything he has demonstrated at Sale. 9 months younger than Luke, but to my eye not capable yet of standing up to the physical nature of the Premiership. The fact that a talented player cannot force his way into the team at Sale on a regular basis shows we are better positioned than a few years ago. Good luck to him and I hope he makes it. It’s interesting that neither Mark Atkinson nor Sam Bedlow made sufficient impact at centre whilst here but are regulars for their current clubs. Luke has had no great expectations thrust on his shoulders except by H’s D :yes:
It’s difficult to believe Luke is only 20. He looks a threat every time he gets the ball at 12.
It will certainly be interesting to see how we deal with the squad over the next few years. The reality is that for all the promise that the academy players can have, only a relatively small percent will break through, otherwise squads would have much higher turnover.

For my part I’d like to see Langdon and Matt Poss step up into regular places in the 23/squad and not need direct replacements for Webber and Bryn.

I’d also be tempted to see how Wilkinson goes as a regular back up for RdP at 10 (assuming recovery from his bad injury) and Curtis as the prospect. I think Wilko showed much more than Cam Redpath has when he got his opportunity.

Him going presumably opens up more opportunities for Doherty who has apparently been playing well for England U20s and he looked rapid last year in the prem cup.

The position we most seem to have struggled in bringing backs through has been 9, even before Faf. Lots of exciting prospects but very little game time (Mitchell’s etc). Hoping Warr sees some more minutes, but it’s definitely challenging when you’re challenging...a nice problem to have.
By Elgar
If he doesn't want to be at the club, we shouldn't be trying to keep him regardless of his theoretical potential and I think taking a six figure sum for his early release and reserving the sort of pay increase he may have been asking for is good business.

If the net result is that our centre options for next seasons are as follows then I think we'll be in great nick in that department:
RJVR, Sam James, Luke James (also covering 15), Lozowski (also covering 10), Doherty and Williams.
Olyy liked this
By Clutch
Interesting to see how and where he is deployed at Bath.

Sometimes, no matter how talented a player is, they don;t fit into the system. Ben Darwin spoke about how long it takes players to fully integrate, and also why moving is risky. Most players or at least a lot don't really benefit from moving.

Also a lot of luck. He didn't impress when given the chance, but that was at a time when we weren't playing well, and getting no ball due to lineout disasters.

Similar to Charnley, when he got his chance we were terribly out of form.

The one thing we lack in the midfield is real pace, and if Loz arrives, he has that. He's not perfect, but would be an excellent addition.
Asher Opoku-Fordjour

Does make me scratch my head a bit that England ar[…]

Ilex

https://twitter.com/premrugby/status/1790084209219[…]

Sarries game

Our game is on TNT1